View Full Version : HOw does email sync work?

Imageman
01-07-2006, 04:48 PM
can someone explain how email sync with and without exchange works?

TJ

Darius Wey
01-07-2006, 04:59 PM
I suggest giving this article a read. It's brilliant.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,42960:dont_paginate,1

Janak Parekh
01-08-2006, 12:14 AM
The Treo also has, if I read correctly, Verizon's Wireless Sync solution. It's similar to Microsoft's Server Activesync in that it needs Exchange -- but doesn't need Exchange "enabled" for mobile devices. I haven't used it recently, but it did work on my i700.

--janak

orlsurfer
01-08-2006, 03:14 PM
I bought my 700 yesterday & initially couldn't get it to work w/ my home based outlook express (haven't tried it w/ my work Exchange yet!) but then after about 45 mins it just started working.

This morning I noticed that emails were in my inbox on desktop but not on my 700. I shut down the outlook express app then sent myself a test email & viola .... there was the msg. Could it be that my outlook express automatically DL's the msgs from the server & therefore, when my 700 goes to get email it doesn't find it? What's the fix? :?:

Darius Wey
01-08-2006, 03:42 PM
This morning I noticed that emails were in my inbox on desktop but not on my 700. I shut down the outlook express app then sent myself a test email & viola .... there was the msg. Could it be that my outlook express automatically DL's the msgs from the server & therefore, when my 700 goes to get email it doesn't find it? What's the fix? :?:

Is this an IMAP account? Even if you've pulled a new message on one machine, you can login to the other and "sync" your inbox with the server and still receive that same message. The issue you're experiencing sounds more like a case of your server not allowing multiple connections, so you'll only be able to pull content on one machine when you've disconnected the other machine.

orlsurfer
01-08-2006, 03:56 PM
D -- part of it might be that I'm a moderate tech head not fully understanding all of the wonderful things that IT folks know!

It's a POP3 acct -- I did go in to my outlook express & checked my email acct options .... noticed that I did NOT have the option checked to leave mesgs on the server -- DOH! 8O Hope that fixes the problem. :)

EDIT
Well, that seems to have worked fine for receiving emails but now I'm getting an error mesg [System Admin - invalid message recipients] when I attempt to send mesgs to any other email addy (I've tried 8 dif ones) except mine .... go figure!

Darius Wey
01-09-2006, 05:51 AM
EDIT
Well, that seems to have worked fine for receiving emails but now I'm getting an error mesg [System Admin - invalid message recipients] when I attempt to send mesgs to any other email addy (I've tried 8 dif ones) except mine .... go figure!

Is this from your Treo or from your computer?

Janak Parekh
01-09-2006, 04:54 PM
Most likely, this is an SMTP server issue. Which SMTP server are you using? If you're trying your ISPs, but connecting through Verizon, either the ISP may not allow that or may require you to authenticate your SMTP connection.

--janak