View Full Version : SDIO Now! v2.2 - Two Slots, One Controller

Darius Wey
01-04-2006, 08:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.bsquare.com/about/press/story.asp?PressID=410' target='_blank'>http://www.bsquare.com/about/press/...asp?PressID=410</a><br /><br /></div><i>"BSQUARE (Nasdaq: BSQR) today launched SDIO Now! V2.2 which offers OEMs a cost-effective solution for adding two MultiMediaCard (MMC), Secure Digital (SD) or Secure Digital Input Output (SDIO) cards to converged mobile devices such as smartphones. OEMs can now economically add Wi-Fi capabilities to smartphones and other embedded devices by using an internal SDIO Wi-Fi card while adding a second external expansion slot for high-density memory cards or other SDIO peripherals. According to In-Stat, the market for Wi-Fi enabled mobile PCs, PDAs, and phones will continue to grow at 66.2 CAGR, reaching 226.0 million units shipped in 2008."</i><br /><br />The release of SDIO Now! v2.2 opens up a new world for manufacturers by allowing a single internal host controller (in the Intel PXA27x and TI OMAP 850 processors) to support two MMC/SD/SDIO slots (one for two, rather than two for two). The end result? Lower manufacturing costs and smaller-sized PDAs, all of which will benefit consumers in more ways than one. SDIO Now! v2.2 will commence shipping this quarter.

pocketpcadmirer
01-04-2006, 08:39 AM
Cool this thing will surely break some grounds :)
Atta Boy !!

Sunny

gibson042
01-04-2006, 02:22 PM
The need for another external controller probably explains why we haven't seen dual SD devices yet, but if so then I'm amazed that no one knew (at least, I don't remember reading anything on the topic in one of the many threads complaining about their absence). At any rate, seeing them (hopefully soon) will ease the sting of losing CompactFlash. Hooray for the return of dual slot goodness! :D

stevelam
01-04-2006, 04:42 PM
Yay, at last. No how boout having three slots. One Cf for a hard drive. An two Sd for standard use. Oh and a 4gb HD would come included in the price - a la LifeDrive (palms (or whatever they re called at the moment) entertainment device).

MitchellO
01-05-2006, 05:30 AM
This may explain why my KJAM has a miniSD slot instead of SD. The KJAM incorporates an internal SDIO WiFi card, so they had to use a miniSD slot instead of SD.

Just a thought....

gibson042
01-06-2006, 03:59 PM
This may explain why my KJAM has a miniSD slot instead of SD. The KJAM incorporates an internal SDIO WiFi card, so they had to use a miniSD slot instead of SD.
This is unlikely because as far as I know, miniSD is a pure backwards-compatible extension of SD and would interface through the same controller. If so, there would be no significant distinction between SD and miniSD from a device's perspective.

MitchellO
01-06-2006, 09:48 PM
This is unlikely because as far as I know, miniSD is a pure backwards-compatible extension of SD and would interface through the same controller. If so, there would be no significant distinction between SD and miniSD from a device's perspective.

Yeah, thats probably true :lol:

gibson042
01-06-2006, 10:17 PM
I have come to terms with the fact that no matter how good a format is, or how stable I consider its market, it will be replaced. If a suitable reason cannot be created for the replacement (smaller size, faster, etc.), then manufacturers will conspire to replace it simply for the sake of replacement. It is happened with CF to SD, it is happening now with SD to miniSD, and we already know that it will happen in the future with miniSD to microSD... with the latter two seemingly in the "change for its own sake" category. I just wonder how they intend to keep input-output capability on cards that are physically so small.