View Full Version : Using a ppc 6700 on QNC?

Jonny360
01-04-2006, 05:48 AM
I'm new to this phone phone pocket pc stuff so i'm learning slowely. I'm trying to figure out a way to use my new 6700 on alltels QNC network at the slow 14.4kb/sec rate so that i'm not charged for data but it just takes minutes off my plan to use. I can log onto the network using #777 with qnc/qnc as user and pass, but it displays the 1x sync logo and i'm not sure if i'm on the 14.4 low end or if i'm on the higher data speed one. Does anything need to be done to the phone to make it use the slower speed? I've read that on many other phones a line of code needs to be used to make it stay on the low speed. Does anyone know how to do this on the 6700? Any help is appreciated.

Cybrid
01-04-2006, 07:59 AM
I'm new to this phone phone pocket pc stuff so i'm learning slowely. I'm trying to figure out a way to use my new 6700 on alltels QNC network at the slow 14.4kb/sec rate so that i'm not charged for data but it just takes minutes off my plan to use. I can log onto the network using #777 with qnc/qnc as user and pass, but it displays the 1x sync logo and i'm not sure if i'm on the 14.4 low end or if i'm on the higher data speed one. Does anything need to be done to the phone to make it use the slower speed? I've read that on many other phones a line of code needs to be used to make it stay on the low speed. Does anyone know how to do this on the 6700? Any help is appreciated.

If you want to force a 14.4 connection (using qnc, qnc and dialing #777) when you are in Express Network (1X) coverage, you would have to change the command in the init string from AT$QCMDR=3 to AT$QCMDR=2
http://www.gomadic.com/support.html

Jonny360
01-04-2006, 08:48 AM
Ok, now where is the init string at? Where do i go to have the option to change it? I looked all over that link but didn't see anything for my phone, even when it was like a windows mobile 2003 device it said it would have to be changed to that but it didn't say how.

Cybrid
01-04-2006, 03:50 PM
Ok, now where is the init string at? Where do i go to have the option to change it? I looked all over that link but didn't see anything for my phone, even when it was like a windows mobile 2003 device it said it would have to be changed to that but it didn't say how.When you created a dialup connection, in the advanced tab...did you see "Extra modem string commands"?

Jonny360
01-04-2006, 07:20 PM
No i don't see extra modem commands. There is a connection prefrences tab to set data bits and parity. A terminal tab to set use terminal before after connecting, and enter dialing commands manually. a tcp/ip tab and a server tab, but nothing that says modem commands.

Cybrid
01-04-2006, 07:36 PM
No i don't see extra modem commands. There is a connection prefrences tab to set data bits and parity. A terminal tab to set use terminal before after connecting, and enter dialing commands manually. a tcp/ip tab and a server tab, but nothing that says modem commands."enter dialing commands manually"

Jonny360
01-05-2006, 02:10 AM
Ok i've selected that but, then i dialed the number but i think its still connecting to the 1x network. Where do i add the init string, do i just put it after the #777 number? Sorry i'm kinda a total newb a this.