View Full Version : Your Must Have Application

Jon Westfall
01-06-2006, 12:30 PM
It's fairly common on Pocket PC forums to find new users asking what applications are considered "must haves" for their new devices. Inevitably, a few people post long lists of their personal favorites and a few others write up semi-nasty notes saying "Use the search feature" or something else about how repetitive such threads are. I've often posted replies to such threads, and am always amused by how much overlap some lists have and how a few people have truly unique applications as their must have - dependent on their occupation. So my question this morning is this: What is your must have application. No more than 1 application per customer here - if you could only have 1 third-party app on your machine, what would it be and why? Feel free to elaborate on 1 or 2 "second must-have" options if your decision was close, but in the end, you must pick Number 1.<br /><br />As for me? Well, I'll be happy to tell you my number 1 pick if you care to read on <!> <br /><br />My number 1 application has been, ever since I started in this platform, <a href="http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/ew/ewallet.htm">eWallet</a> by Ilium Software. There are other programs that do the same job out there (<a href="http://www.twopeaks.com/FlexWallet/pocketpc.aspx">Flexwallet</a> &amp; <a href="http://www.developerone.com/codewalletpro/pocketpc.htm">CodeWallet</a> being the other two popular apps), however I've gotten very used to eWallet since starting with it in 2003. So why is this software essential and my number 1? Let's add up all the factors:<br /><br /><br /><li>My entire life is in my eWallet file. Current &amp; past credit card numbers, bank info, registration codes, etc... all nicely encrypted<br /><li>It syncs to my desktop, and allows me to create secure passwords for sensitive websites without fear of forgetting them (It's a beautiful thing to create a 20 character password without fear)<br /><li>All my data is in 1 honest-to-goodness file. Maybe I'm old-fashion, but it's nice to have a file that you can back up without fearing that maybe some of your data was in a database or split up over multiple files. With eWallet (And it's competitors) you have peace of mind backup. As a plus, the files can be compacted - my eWallet file with literally hundreds of records takes up less than 500K<br /><li> Finally, it can export to plain text all of my info. I keep a plain-text printout of my passwords in a secure location (i.e. fireproof) that I update yearly. This process used to take quite awhile, now it's a simple click<br /><br /><br />So there's my number 1 must-have, now it's your turn to share. Remember, pick 1!

Ollie03031
01-06-2006, 01:00 PM
My must have application is Inbox for email. MY desire would be a version of Inbox that could do IMAP4, newsgroup feeds and RSS feeds in different folders. I understand that q mail might be able to do this but I have not tried it. The perfect application would be the integration of WiBis email and Queensoft Newsreader but until tem I just have Inbox.

eckounlimited
01-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Pocket Controller by SOTI.

With it, you will get visible access to your PPC throught your computer!
MUST HAVE!

Can't live without it anymore!!!

signothefish
01-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Jon, now that you mention eWallet, I must say this is probably the most important program I have, just behind Pocket Informant. However, Cash Organizer is not far behind either. As far as games go, I have been playing Handmark's Yahtzee practically every day for as long as I can remember. My high score is around 620 (anybody ever beat that?).

But you left off one other important thing eWallet can do: when you click on a URL in eWallet, it brings up your browser window and fills in your login and password on the web page, so all you have to is hit Submit and you're in.

Andy Whiteford
01-06-2006, 01:18 PM
tAgenda

I don't want anything over fussy or hard to configure, I want to see what appointments/events I have upcoming right there on my today screen in the simplest form. Once I replace my h4150 as my main device with a new WM5 device however I will need to find a replacement since tAgenda is not supported under WM5. :(

When that happens my must have app will be apMemo which is my second most used app. Simple and quick visual notes and reminders done so effectively. Great little app.

These are purely based on my most used. Other must haves are the likes of eWallet and List Pro to name a couple from many.

Ed Hansberry
01-06-2006, 01:20 PM
I would have to agree on eWallet. It is not an app I use daily, but if push came to shove and you were going to delete everything but one app and one data file on my device, I'd want eWallet and my 6 year old+ data file preserved.

iant54
01-06-2006, 01:23 PM
I have several, which have been mentioned further up, but if I have to pick just one, then it has to be Cash Organizer!

Tanker Bob
01-06-2006, 01:41 PM
My #1 would be Olivetree's BibleReader (http://www.olivetree.com/). I use lots of 3rd party software, but carrying the Bible and associated reference databases was one of the primary reasons that got me into PDAs in the first place. If I really had to, I could live with the built-ins for everything else--but I wouldn't want to do that.

Just so that you know I'm serious, I have 150MB of Bibles and references under BibleReader on my SD card! These include 9 English Bible translations, 4 original language (Greek and Hebrew) Bibles w/associated references, 4 major commentaries, 14 Bible dictionaries including original language ones, 1 cross-reference, and a bunch of other reference works. BibleReader allows me to create a custom work environment that suits me, plus all references work on both PPC and Palm platforms and the reader itself is free for both.

Regards,
Tanker Bob
Tanker Bob's PDA Page (http://www.tankerbob.com/palm/)
Reviewer at MobileTechReview (http://www.MobileTechReview.com/)

KAMware
01-06-2006, 01:44 PM
I will not hesitate to say eReader. It is the primary reason I carry the Pocket PC around all the time. If it was not for eReader and all the books I get from them I would never read as much as I do. This one program and the contents it displays effect me more than any other program I have on the Pocket PC.
8)

Darius Wey
01-06-2006, 01:44 PM
I used to be hugely dependent on FlexWallet, but not anymore. These days, most of my passwords and numbers are stored in my head (surprisingly 8O), though I will still use FlexWallet as a backup if I ever need it.

Now, Microsoft Voice Command (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/voicecommand/default.mspx) is my must-have application. On most days, I'll be in the car for a couple of hours. Retrieval of PIM data and dialing over voice is almost essential, so Voice Command essentially gets used more than any other application I have installed on my device. Around the house, I'm usually too lazy to open up Contacts to dig up the number of a person. Instead, I'll tap the Voice Command button, and say &lt;Call John Smith on Mobile>. Bang, it's done. Simple!

Why I've chosen Voice Command over other voice-recognition applications is two-fold: (1) Zero training required. Voice Command works right out of the box. (2) It integrates well with Windows Mobile's default applications.

CTSLICK
01-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Pocket Informant may run my life and HanDBase may store all my info and Fitaly my primary means of interacting but the first app I load after a reset is ALWAYS ICBar (a Wisbar varient). Unheralded for sure because it sits in the background and makes everything else easier. So if I have to choose one #1 app that I could not live without it would be simple little ICBar

joefuture
01-06-2006, 01:59 PM
The NewsBreak RSS reader by Ilium Software is my must-have application. It's the primary reason I use a Pocket PC these days.

dreamtheater39
01-06-2006, 02:04 PM
SPB Diary....

The default PIM sucks, and sbsh was too heavy for the universal...takes a minute to switch between landscape and portrait unlike spb's diary!

Cheers,
San

kamikun
01-06-2006, 02:06 PM
Not an app per se, but it relates to why I bought a PPC to begin with... Bagoj's Japanese handwriting input recognition hack for English language Pocket PCs.

Say that in one breath. (And the subsequent complimentary app that allows on the fly switching between English and Japanese inputs without resetting, KbdSwitch.)

This one hack has seriously extended by a factor of two the utility of my e800. Why MS decided not to include this as an option apart from Japanese language PPCs still confuses me.
If you're interested in installing this you can find the original thread here (http://www.firstloox.org/forums/showthread.php?p=36393#post36393).

I realize this is a pretty targeted audience but if you speak or are studying the language it's a freakin lifesaver. :lol:

cnyprecast
01-06-2006, 02:10 PM
All of these apps are great, but first and formost I want to keep track of what is going on in my world. If I could put only one app on my iPAQ 4705, it would be Pocket Informant. It is very simple to use, but extreemly powerful and customizable. The developer is exceptionally responsive and as talented as they come. I wouldn't be without PI.

Glint
01-06-2006, 02:16 PM
µBook. My main use for my PDA is reading, and µBook is excellent.

crimsonsky
01-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Fitaly for Pocket PC is my number one must have application. I actually use it on both my Pocket PC and my Palm device and it is always the first thing I load on any new device. I do a lot of text input on my machines, and Fitaly is the absolutely fastest text input method I have discovered. I've been using it for nigh on 3 years now and can't imagine not having it.

EReader comes a very close second on both platforms, but Fitaly is definitely a must have.

Don

Vially
01-06-2006, 02:28 PM
Keep it running guys, it's a very good thread. I don't have an "essential" app for now, but I'm looking :)

jhalsey205
01-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Great thread.

There are a number of app's that I use that make my i730 easier to use. WisBar Advanced 2 probably leads the pack in that category, closely followed by ZapIt (for stylus free application management). PocketMax's phoneAlarm is also way up on my list (for converged devices). But my most important application (and the reason I have a PPC) is Pocket Informant, that I have been using since my Casio E105 days.

John

CEGiven
01-06-2006, 02:38 PM
ListPro

I keep many heirarchal lists that I use to organize my life. Everything from multiple large projects to my hobbies. This data is so vital that I've written scripts to backup the lists at bootup, keep 30 days worth of backups, and store a copy on my web server.

paschott
01-06-2006, 02:38 PM
I have to admit that this is a hard one. FITALY makes life easier, but I'd be okay without it. uBook - I read a lot of books, so this is relatively important. PocketBible - useful to keep me from carrying a bunch of Bibles and related with me. WisBar - nice, but I'd get by without it if I had to.

I think the ultimate program for me would end up being PocketInformant - I keep tasks, notes, appointments in here. This was the main reason I got a new PDA when mine broke. I was a little lost not having my calendar or means of jotting down ToDo items in an effective fashion. I'll also agree that WebIS is very responsive if you have problems. They check their forums very regularly and have a great user base.

rlobrecht
01-06-2006, 02:47 PM
I'm also going to have to say eWallet. My whole life is in that file. While I don't use that app every day, the data in it is the most important. The app that I use every day is eReader. Love those ebooks, and their DRM is the most sensible.

yildi
01-06-2006, 02:58 PM
One more vote for FITALY that is the first app I install. I would have difficulty to use my PPC without SKMENU that allows a one/two touch access to all my softs and system functions (it has hence replaced MagicButton and ILauncher since it igives a much quicker access to the apllications on my 4700).

MY

alese
01-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Fitaly, Magic button and Pocket Informant I use every day and ListPro, Browser (pick any) and WebIS Mail are used a lot, but I could get by without all of them, however E-Wallet can't be replaced by build in stuff, so I guess it's a must have.

185driver
01-06-2006, 03:09 PM
This is an excellent and yet very tough question. It is nearly impossible for me to choose just one "must have" app. tAgenda and Magic Button are probably the first two utilities I always install - they are simple, elegant, and very useful to me.

TomeRaider3 is a very close runner-up. I really like what I can do with it in creating my own large data files that run lightning fast.

But if forced to choose, my one-and-only must have application would have to be SpreadCE. I use it every day in my work as a pilot.

1. It lets me create workbooks that look and behave like custom-made apps without having to learn eVB or .NET coding.

2. It includes a macro language and form controls (like combo boxes and spinners) that let me select parameters for calculations without having to type everything in.

3. I can create customized workbooks on the desktop and run them from the PPC and expect them to work as designed.

4. The price is quite a bit lower than competing products which have no macro or control type features.

It's fun to see other programs that I use listed in the thread as well. Pocket Informant and eWallet are indeed great programs. And don't forget Calligrapher...

jgrnt1
01-06-2006, 03:41 PM
For me, it's Pocket Informant. I've been using it every day for three years. I'm ADD (yes, 40+ year olds can be ADD) and have to force myself to organize my life to succeed. PI blows away the default PIM.

Next on the list would probably be PocketBreeze. When I turn on my PPC, I can instantly see my schedule and have one tap access to my tasks. I could use (and did use) ScaryBear's QuickAgenda and QuickTasks, but PB does it so much better.

Third would be a tie between Wisbar Advance2 and WeatherPanel. I could use Magic Button instead of WA2, but I like skinning my Today Screen. I don't know how people who don't use something similar to Magic Button or WA2 survive without a real Close button. WeatherPanel is essential to me because I travel regularly to five cities and alway have the cities' weather at hand. I prefer WP over other weather programs for the same reason I use WA2 -- I love to skin and customize it.

kndlewis
01-06-2006, 03:43 PM
Number 1 first to be installed would have to be Wisbar Advance 2 and it's companion plug-in Desktop. I spend WAY too much time playing with that program.
But for when I'm not just trying to make the face pretty, I'm usually reading. Mobibook (Mobipocket) 5.0 is my favorite reading program.

Gerard
01-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Number one in terms of hours used (consciously, not just an always-running utility like a task manager) is nPOPw - v.1.0.1.4 beta 2. If my device is powered on, chances are nPOPw is running, checking my mail on multiple accounts every few minutes. I've tried more 'powerful' email clients, but none are friendlier from my perspective.

For a must-have #2, a top bar replacement is essential. From 2000 to November of 2005 that was GigaBar for me. Now it's no longer in development, and since I have a WM2003SE e800 it won't work properly, so WisBar Advance 2 takes the silver position.

Miz
01-06-2006, 04:26 PM
This thread is an excellent idea. But I can't really decide because my PDA use is quite varied. I guess it would be either the dictionaries (ECTACO Japanese and PocketDict) or TCPMP which are what I use the most. But I probably can't live without SplashID or XConverter either, or Pocket Informant for that matter.

I guess I'll pick the Japanese dictionary for now (ECTACO).

i_spock
01-06-2006, 04:30 PM
FlexWallet 2006. I have about 200 work and personal entries in there, and doing my job would be very rough going if I didn't have access to that information. Although I use the desktop version 95% of the time since I'm at a computer all day, I'd still pick FlexWallet as my only PPC app since it contains info that, when I need it, I really need it.

My only wish is that it would sync on a per-record basis, then I think it would truly be perfect.

kevhead
01-06-2006, 04:38 PM
#1 MUST HAVE: PhoneAlarm (Repeating notifications/Alarms)

VERY CLOSE FIRST: Microsoft Voice Command

Jerome Carney
01-06-2006, 04:39 PM
PocketInformant likewise gets my nod, but a very close second has to be TomTom,the GPS navigation software. It's intuitive, driver friendly interface is phenomenal, it's integrated POI database is surprisingly robust, and it's traffic module and instantaneous re-routing have literally saved me hours on the road.

Granted, TomTom still has room for improvement, beginning first with customer support, but I think the company is making smart, ambitious decisions. And for anyone looking at adding GPS navigation to their vehicle, I just cannot say enough good things about a PDA solution vs. an in-dash unit. I hesitated for months before making up my mind, but I am so happy I went the PDA route.

caubeck
01-06-2006, 04:41 PM
While I'd feel naked without my Icbar, and lost without cLaunch and the great Resco explorer, I must admit I couldn't get very far if I hadn't invested in TextMaker.

Kathy_Harris
01-06-2006, 04:45 PM
1. Wisbar (I can't breath without it)
2. Pocket Informant (without month view of calendar with WORDS in it the entire thing doesn't work for me)
3. Listpro (so that I can go shopping and get recipes)
4. Flexwallet (because I can't remember passwords, SSNs, Driver's license, etc)
5. Tomeraider (because having an entire encyclopedia on your PDA is so cool)

Swordsman74
01-06-2006, 05:01 PM
CEGiven, I'm a compulsive list-maker myself, so I to relied on ListPro for a large number of things...

But then I recently found ADB Idea Library. This is a great app!! You create a hierarchical tree of entries. You can enter text notes, voice notes, sketch drawings, to-do's (checkboxes) or attach any type of file. For file attachments, you can choose to store the actual file in the database itself, or just keep a link to the file on the file system. The to-do entries allow you to create shopping lists and such. You can even dynamically link to Task entries! My only complaints are that it is lacking in import functionality, and the only way to replicate ListPro (tables of data) is to use spreadsheets...

A new major version release is imminent, though - it was supposed to be out in December but hasn't arrived yet. I'm hoping it will address some of my concerns, and finally replace my old system of Tasks/ListPro/Codewallet. Perhaps someone might review it here when it comes out? :-)

OSUKid7
01-06-2006, 05:06 PM
FlexWallet (http://www.webis.net/flexwallet) 2006

Like others, I'd have to say my must-have app is FlexWallet 2006. I have over 200 cards for personal, business, and academic data, but my most common use is simply to store passwords for websites. I used to fall into the trap of using the same or similar passwords for nearly everyting. Not anymore. I purposefully open up FlexWallet when registering on a new site, and either come up with my own unique password, or run the handy Password Generator to create a (pseudo-)random strong password for me. I rarely try to memorize passwords, as I know I'll always have either my computer, Pocket PC, or Smartphone with me - and my current FlexWallet synchronized on each device. Can't beat that.

Honestly, I stumbled onto FlexWallet initially - I won a prior version on a contest right here on Pocket PC Thoughts. Since the, however, I'm not sure I've gone more than a day or so without using it for one reason or another.

Oh, and like Jon's eWallet, FlexWallet stores your data in one, compressed and encrypted, file. I just checked the wallet info for my FlexWallet data, and I have 251 cards, and my .fw2 file is only 117 KB large (or small ;)). In addition, it can export (save) to plaintext just like eWallet - but it can also save the data as XML! Beat that! :D

SteveHoward999
01-06-2006, 05:14 PM
Easy - MSReader.

There is no other piece of software on myu PDA that I use more. I have lots of great software that enhances, removes or replaces native functionality (TCPMP, Wisebar Advanced, PIE Plus, Calligrapher etc etc), but without all of those, I could still get by quite well using my PDA day-t0-day.

On the other hand I use MS reader to read books for anything from one to 5 hours every single day. Without MSReader (or some other book reader) I wouild hardly use the PDA at all.

JonathanWardRogers
01-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Flexwallet

I used to use other (unnamed ;-) ) "list" programs in addition to Flexwallet, but now I just use flex wallet. It does everything I need it to do, all secure.

A close second would have to be Cash Organizer/Pocket Breeze/Pocket Plus. Oh... was that more than one? :-)

Hoovey
01-06-2006, 05:34 PM
eReader Pro, hands down.

I NEVER close eReader. I close all other applications when I'm done with them, but eReader is always open.

I use it to read fiction, devotions, and I have my personal copy of the Bible (NIV) with inline commentary (as footnotes) and inline references to other verses (9 MB total).

As a crossword puzzle maker, I use the Merriam Webster Unabridged dictionary to help with words and definitions.

capo
01-06-2006, 05:39 PM
I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned it yet - yes, I make heavy use of Pocket Breeze. I have and use Pocket Informant too, but Breeze is usually enough. MS Voice Command is high up on the list since I use my x50v as an MP3 player in the car and MSVC is more convenient and safer than taking my eyes off the road and my hand(s) off the wheel. And of course, how would I ever survive those endless, pointless daily meetings without Solitaire and PIE? But since I've lost track of the number of times some wayward app or ROM upgrade has inexplicably gone south and hosed my system and caused me to restore everything from backup, my #1 'can't do without' app is Sprite Backup. It's quick, simple, intuitive, dependable and a lifesaver.

buzzard
01-06-2006, 06:02 PM
ListPro is number 1 for me. Since I started using it, it's become my diary. Everything that happens in my life that might require notes to be taken and accessed at a future date are kept there. I don't want to go back to "duh, I really promised to pay that bill yesterday?" :lol:

Flexwallet is 2nd, just because there are too many usernames / passwords, bank stuff and credit card info to remember. Next is either PIE or Netfront for net surfing and Newsbreak reading.

UnLoGiC
01-06-2006, 06:03 PM
1. Wisbar Advance
2. Minimo
3. TCPMP
4. Mortplayer
5. PocketInformant
6. Resco Explorer
7. TomTom 5

l_emmerdeur
01-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Mobipocket.

rzanology
01-06-2006, 06:31 PM
for my 6515

photocontact pro 4....it does photo id...it does ring tone...but mooost important of aaaaall....it does call filertering!!! PRICELESS!!!!!!!

for my 50v

dvd to ppc....gooood damn those ripped dvds look good on that vga screen!!!!

spoirier
01-06-2006, 06:44 PM
I cannot live without RoboForm, http://www.roboform.com, for all of my wallet type needs. Actually I use the Windows and PocketPC versions together.

So far I have 304 records consuming 530K.

Hx4700
01-06-2006, 07:25 PM
This is a hard question....
I can relate to some of the ones previously mentioned - Wisbar, eWallet, etc.
So many good and useful programs to choose from.
But let's look at this logically.
I think my one most important program would be among the ones I access almost every day:
-Avantgo
-eReader
-Spb Finance (Quicken)
-Pocket TV Listings
-Tasks/Appointments

So which one? How to narrow it down?
How about the one that I cannot/do not have access to the same data on my desktop computer?
That would make the winner ==> Pocket TV Listings! Huh? :oops:
Oh well... Ron..

amesskyway
01-06-2006, 07:27 PM
MUST HAVE: CodeWallet Pro
CLOSE SECOND: Agenda Fusion

denethor
01-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Must Have Built-in : Pocket Outlook and Contacts
3rd Party: Codewallet &amp; SPB Pocket Plus (Because of ALT+TAB functionality)

Jon Westfall
01-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Great thread guys - I'm glad my question proved interesting for you.

OSU - I've thought of switching to Flexwallet a few times, but just the mere IDEA of moving all my data over manually scares the beegeesus out of me. Until there are conversion utilities out there, I'll stick with friendly eWallet ;)

OSUKid7
01-06-2006, 07:41 PM
OSU - I've thought of switching to Flexwallet a few times, but just the mere IDEA of moving all my data over manually scares the beegeesus out of me. Until there are conversion utilities out there, I'll stick with friendly eWallet ;)
Oh I hear you there. :lol: I haven't used eWallet myself, but I'm sure it's a fine application since so many people here use it. The FlexWallet FAQs (http://www.webis.net/products_info.php?p_id=wallet&amp;dir=wm&amp;tab_id=faq) mention that there's a limitation preventing importing from other wallet applications, but that they ...are working on a way to get around this technical limitation, and hope to find a workaround in the near future. But for now, it is simply not feasible to import data from text, xml, CSV or any other format.

Zagleft1
01-06-2006, 07:58 PM
I have to say Audible Player. With a one hour each way commute, I give it a good daily workout so it wins on volume use alone (well, maybe Bejeweled 2 is a close 2nd......)

Michael G.
01-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Great thread!

Sadly, I'd have to say that Sprite Backup is my #1 app.

I say 'sadly', because I have to use it pretty much every week.

Welcome to the world of a Siemens SX-66... My battery pops out all the time! There is a tiny little latch in back that holds the battery in place. If it moves, you're toast!

I switch batteries now and then, and sometimes I forget to use a piece of scotch tape in the back. Sprite Backup to the rescue! Without it, I'd be toast.

Aside from that, though, I am a big fan of spb Pocket Plus. I love having all my icons on the Today Screen, a battery indicator, and a better close menu.

So, all this to say, when it's time to reinstall my PPCs, off the bat, I install Sprite Backup and spb Pocket Plus.

The next apps are 1-calc and a GPS program! Right now I am using iGuidance, but I don't think it's wonderful. Although excellent Canadian coverage.

So, to sum up:
1. A good backup app
2. A good app to get better Today functionalilty
3. A good calculator
4. GPS Navigation software

Those are my recommendations.

Have a great weekend!

Prevost
01-06-2006, 08:25 PM
RepliGo.

I need to reference documents and technical drawings while at construction sites, and I have found nothing as economical, reliable, or with better file size management as RepliGo. It is almost the only app I use.

If I had to choose another app, I would say PocketCAD or PowerCAD, mostly to interact with those technical drawings in order to get more info from them, or to modify them on the move. However, I haven't needed those options through the few years I have been using RepliGo, so this one keeps being my chosen one application.

doughboy
01-06-2006, 08:30 PM
I am assuming you are referring to 3rd party apps not included in the actual OS. The first three I use every day and the next two 2-4 times per week.

1. Snoopsoft Dashboard -- It allows me to be VERY efficient in my job. This came with my first iPAQ 3650 and I have stuck with it ever since. It does what I need it to do, but I have considered moving to SPB Diary so I could access more skins/backgrounds and view future tasks under their dates due. Once SPB Diary allows the tab to be moved to one horizontal line, I may change.
2. SPB Pocket Plus -- Indispensable! It does what it claims, does it well, and makes the entire PPC and related apps better.
3. Olivetree BibleReader -- I use it every day and like the GUI MUCH better than PocketBible.
4. Pocket Quicken -- I can pay bills and input data while watching TV and without being tethered to the desktop.
5. Pocket MVP -- I cannot tell you how many times PMVP with help from Pocket DVD Studio has occupied my 5 year-old son while waiting ... anywhere, avoiding numerous opportunities for conflict.

bigkingfun
01-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Why must you start these "here's something cool you haven't bought yet" threads??? :D

My initial reaction as my number one app was Pocket Informant, but I suppose if push came to shove I could get along with the built-in apps.

I guess my truly must-have application would be Phat Notes Pro / Phat Pad. I know that's really 2, but I use them in tandem and really think of them as one.

I am constantly making notes using this combination, and I have many projects outlined in them that I couldn't do without.

Damion Chaplin
01-06-2006, 11:18 PM
Not much to do with productivity, more like functionality...

1) Snoopsoft Dashboard
2) WisBar

Adding these two programs turns my PDA into what it should have been in the first place.

3) Bejeweled (a.k.a. Crack for WM)
4) Pocket Universe (also functions as a 'passive' compass)

Most of my other needs are fulfilled by the built-in PIM stuff. I could just never justify the added expense for a couple more features.

I would definitely say that Dashboard is my must-have app. I hate using my PPC during those few minutes before my custom-skinned today screen is re-loaded.

MkH
01-06-2006, 11:43 PM
I would also have to say AudiblePlayer :D . I spend more time listening to the latest novel while doing mindless tasks at work or just going for a walks with the headphones on. A close second would have to be TextMaker/PlanMaker for their expanded capabillities when working with Word and Excel documents.

For you newbies go to: www.audible.com
Tell em hiblm sent you.

ctmagnus
01-07-2006, 12:02 AM
#1: Pocket Informant (in a Mortal Kombat-type yell)

#2: FlexWallet

Other #2: ListPro

#3: Pocket Plus, with its Today plugin for quick access to #s 1 and 2

tregnier
01-07-2006, 12:08 AM
I think of my applications in two different buckets: Infrastructure and Activity. Infrastructure includes those items that make the PPC work well for me and supportive of my life. This includes applications like Magic Button, Pocket Breeze, eWallet, Pocket Plus, Calligrapher, PhatNotes, Fitaly, and Pocket Informant (All on my Axim).

Activity software consists of those items that cause results. This includes MobiPocket, MS Reader, Laridian Pocket Bible, Word/Excel, Textmaker, ListPro, Media Player, Solitaire, etc. (All on my Axim).

Best of Each Category? eWallet and MS Reader

mwfielder
01-07-2006, 12:27 AM
#1 PhoneAlarm. Adds the essential functions to the pdaphone to make it into a regular cell phone. Repeating alarms, profile switching and more.

#2 Sprite Backup. Essential.

Cybrid
01-07-2006, 01:06 AM
I've found that I buy applications simply to enhance functionality.
PI to replace OEM/MS contacts, calendar
WebIS mail to replace inbox.
S&amp;T2005, Ostia to replace the free Pstreets 2001
TCPMP to replace media player.
You get the idea. There's much I love about the 3rd party apps but they are not in my eyes unique or unlivable without...

The only way I've seen to get a PPC do something it couldn't do at all previously is to get hardware.
So my decision to post the following

[1]Connectivity card (internal/ external/modem/ LAN/ WiFi)
[2]GPS receiver

Those are applications I could not live without.

famousdavis
01-07-2006, 01:30 AM
It's nice to see that the must-have apps are ones I either already own, or have tried and don't care for, or have suitable and similar alternatives for.

It's frustratingly difficult to qualify my #1 choice, so I'll do it this way:

#1 choice for utility function is Fitaly. I'm hard-pressed to consider any type of text entry without it. A close second is Sprite Backup (it's saved my hide more than once).

#1 choice for productivity is Pocket Informant -- everything I need, nicely organized. A close second is Flex Wallet.

#1 choice for entertainment is Audible Player -- I'm hooked on audio books. A close second is plain ol' Windows Media Player for MP3 and WMA playback.

#1 choice for education is Revolution's Lexepedia, which is a Pocket PC-sized version of Wikipedia. Revolution's Lextionary is a close second.

Now, don't flame me for having four #1 choices. :wink:

clbsvi
01-07-2006, 01:43 AM
Does ANYBODY out there know of a Step-by-Step guide, Wizard or whatever that can teach me how to make (@##@%%%!! &lt;&lt; Cusswords omitted.) Bluetooth work on my brand-new Toshiba Laptop so that I can Active Sync by wireless with my new iPAQ with Windows Mobile 5. I loathe BlueTooth with a blazing purple passion. WiFi between both machines works flawlessly both at 80211.b and .g data rates, but Active Sync demands BlueTooth (BT). Seems to me that BT only works between simple devices (headset, cameras, printers, etc.) of the same brand. Does that mean that BT is designed for simple people, or is it just me ?? Help me, Help me, pleeeease !!

clbsvi
01-07-2006, 01:43 AM
Does ANYBODY out there know of a Step-by-Step guide, Wizard or whatever that can teach me how to make (@##@%%%!! &lt;&lt; Cusswords omitted.) Bluetooth work on my brand-new Toshiba Laptop so that I can Active Sync by wireless with my new iPAQ with Windows Mobile 5. I loathe BlueTooth with a blazing purple passion. WiFi between both machines works flawlessly both at 80211.b and .g data rates, but Active Sync demands BlueTooth (BT). Seems to me that BT only works between simple devices (headset, cameras, printers, etc.) of the same brand. Does that mean that BT is designed for simple people, or is it just me ?? Help me, Help me, pleeeease !!

RobertCF
01-07-2006, 01:44 AM
Hands down. With builtin printing and network navigation support, not to mention registry editing, it allows me to manipulate my PocketPC and everything on it.

As a strong second, Wisbar Advance 2. Makes up for the many pieces that Microsoft never put in their OS.

racerx
01-07-2006, 03:07 AM
For me, its Pocket Informant - hands down. I use it to track not just my schedule, but my entire family's - color coded so I know who is where when.
But a close second is eReader Pro. Whenever I have a free few minutes, I pop it open and read a few pages or chapters :) A must have reader program with (what I consider) a reasonable DRM.

allenalb
01-07-2006, 03:23 AM
my three in order of importance are:

1) ilium ListPro. my DVD and CD collections are so large, that i frequently bought doubles before using this to keep track of them all. i also maintain lists for the dozens of tv shoes i archive (several panasonic DVRs with DVD-Rs in them recording pretty much every show on the discovery channel types, comedy central, food network, and any cartoons on the air).

2)PhatWare Phatpad. i use this CONSTANTLY at work, because i frequently have to jot serial numbers and site IDs down (i work at a satellite service provider) and bring them to other departments, and i don't like killing trees :)

3) Ilium eWallet. for the same reasons as everyone else :)

in the past, i would've included MS reader or μBook, but i don't have time to read for a couple of hours a day anymore. i also would've included GSPlayer, but i just got an iAudio X5, and it smokes any PDA's sound out there, and plays lossless files to boot.

alizhan
01-07-2006, 05:25 AM
I'm also going to have to say eWallet. My whole life is in that file. While I don't use that app every day, the data in it is the most important.
Yet another vote for eWallet (or equivalent). In fact, I even consider it a requirement on my next phone--which is why I'm still using a StarTAC 7868W :) (Yes, I know that Phone Edition and smartphone can both run eWallet, but those devices have been either unavailable or out of my price range until recently. And the "smart phones" using other OSes don't really deserve the label :wink: ).

Runner-up would be SPB Pocket Plus. I used to really rely on SPB Pocket Time, but it hasn't reliably triggered alarms for me since I upgraded to WM 2003 SE. Bringing up the rear, I use Pocket Informant, Resco Explorer, and uBook a fair amount, but could live without them if I had too.

The rest of the crap on my PDA is all fluff. :roll:

baker
01-07-2006, 05:50 AM
I started to type FlexWallet as I use it every day, but then I thought I could use Excel in a bind. Then I thought PocketBreeze, but sometimes I decide to go simple. Then it was Pocket Informant, but sometimes I go simple here too. I'll go with PocketBible.

pocketpcadmirer
01-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Well my favorite is pocket breeze.
I use it more than any other app :D

Sunny

pocketpcadmirer
01-07-2006, 10:25 AM
RepliGo.
I need to reference documents and technical drawings while at construction sites, and I have found nothing as economical, reliable, or with better file size management as RepliGo. It is almost the only app I use.

Yeah my second favorite. Does everything which it claims
Very happy with my purchase

Sunny

Bruno Figueiredo
01-07-2006, 10:37 AM
Well, I loved Repligo too. But since I've bought my K-Jam I started to hate it. I have loads of info that I converted to repligo but Cerience seems unlikely to cough up a WM5 version, so I'm stuck with a bunch of files I can't read.

Seriously, the last upgrade was almost 2 years ago. What are they waiting for? If only I could convert my files back...

As for my must-have applications: Pocket Informant and Pocket Breeze. Just wished PB wasn't such a hog with system resources. Also, Newsbreak.

pocketpcadmirer
01-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Just wished PB wasn't such a hog with system resources.

Well pocket breeze is a very well programed app and I dont feel any slowness on my magician as-well-as my old 2215

**edit: make sure u r using the latest version which doesnt cause any slowdowns

Sunny

alese
01-07-2006, 11:40 AM
Well, I loved Repligo too. But since I've bought my K-Jam I started to hate it. I have loads of info that I converted to repligo but Cerience seems unlikely to cough up a WM5 version, so I'm stuck with a bunch of files I can't read.

Seriously, the last upgrade was almost 2 years ago. What are they waiting for? If only I could convert my files back...

Check out their support forums, there is a link to WM5 compatible version of RepliGo Viewer. It even works in RealVGA mode on my Universal...

Bruno Figueiredo
01-07-2006, 12:33 PM
Hey, alese. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna try it out. I tend to rely on front page info first for new releases.

Abou PB, I'm using the latest version but it still takes abou 3 seconds to switch tabs. I would like it to be snappier.

Jon Westfall
01-07-2006, 01:45 PM
my three in order of importance are:

1) ilium ListPro. my DVD and CD collections are so large, that i frequently bought doubles before using this to keep track of them all.

WOW 8O I thought I had a lot of DVDs, I guess I'm a lightweight in this category ;)

friedshrimp
01-07-2006, 02:03 PM
I've only had my rx1955 for 2 weeks but I found my day would suck (and used to) without MortPlayer ! I work in a company van all day in a town where most of the radio stations are 60 miles away and are almost always staticy. I connect my 1955 to a wireless FM transmitter and created my own radio station with the music I like. Back to MortPlayer. It's set up to immediately read any SD chip I put into it, it has a wonderful equalizer library (a sound tech said it was the best radio station quality he had ever heard (just don't go more than 100' away)), and it has a car version (large, simple buttons) of all of the default skins so that I won't drive anyone off the road while trying to change songs! Doesn't everyone feel safer now?!?

# 2 has to be SPB Pocket Plus just for all of the functionality it gives to Bubba (rx1955).

LynnPritchard
01-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Well, SHOOT!! Now I have to go buy a bunch of this stuff you all think is so great! eWallet sounds wonderful! I just "upgraded" to Norton Systemworks 2006 on my laptop, and even though I have spent 6 hours (I am not kidding) with Symantec's online support, they can't make my Norton Password from NS 2004 work again. 82 passwords down the drain...eWallet, here I come!

Nobody mentioned Picsel Browser, which came on my i730. I couldn't read most websites without it, so I guess it has to be #1 for me. I'm also dependent on Voice Signal, which also came on the i730.

Pocket Breeze is so complicated, and I haven't had the time to figure out how to format it properly for my use; it's taking up so much of my screen and is giving me far more information than I want to see!

But my real love is Pocket Weather....

Steve Jordan
01-07-2006, 08:58 PM
I dunno, maybe I'm too old, too simple, or just too stupid... but the only app I must have on my PPC is the PIM. Keeping my notes, numbers and appointments really is all I need the PPC for, and everything else is just stuff. Mind you, some of it is pretty cool stuff... but nothing I'd cry about if I couldn't have it on a PPC.

Actually, there's one app I'd like to get for my PPC: Pocket LotteryWinner. That's the one that gives me a winning lottery number for every lottery in the US, the day before it wins, and allows me to wirelessly send in my lottery ticket and payment. Once I have that, I'd call that my must-have app.

alese
01-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Hey, alese. Thanks for the info. I'm gonna try it out. I tend to rely on front page info first for new releases.

I to looked there first, but haven't found anything. But since I use RepliGo a lot I started to look deeper when I found a reference about it runing on WM5 on XDA-Developers.

ctmagnus
01-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Well, SHOOT!! Now I have to go buy a bunch of this stuff you all think is so great! eWallet sounds wonderful! I just "upgraded" to Norton Systemworks 2006 on my laptop, and even though I have spent 6 hours (I am not kidding) with Symantec's online support, they can't make my Norton Password from NS 2004 work again. 82 passwords down the drain...eWallet, here I come!

Bleh. fwiw, I ditched NAV2006 and I'm running NAV2005 again. NAV2006 is just bloated compared to 2005 and some individuals (myself included) lost the ability to do a system restore after installing NAV2006. Considering that NAV is a major part of NSW, I don't expect your experience will be much better.

KTamas
01-07-2006, 11:30 PM
Well, I have a lot, and i could say quite some from different point of views...so I choose uBook (the latest freeware version, 0.8o). As someone mentioned before, most of my other must-have apps are basicly replacements of OS stuff (GSPlayer, TCPMP, TotalCMD, PocketBreeze, etc.....), but there is no eBook reader in WM, and uBook is far the best out there IMO.

debbi8
01-08-2006, 03:05 AM
For WM5 on my Qtek 9100, MemMaid to speed things up, and Photo Contacts to see whose calling while driving.

Nurhisham Hussein
01-08-2006, 02:27 PM
I have to say Audible Player. With a one hour each way commute, I give it a good daily workout so it wins on volume use alone (well, maybe Bejeweled 2 is a close 2nd......)

Audible was the reason I bought a PDA in the first place, so one more vote for Audible Player.

Nurhisham Hussein
01-08-2006, 02:40 PM

You're posting in the wrong thread, I doubt you'd get anything but (rightly) ignored here. Why don't you open up your own thread in the right place? That way, people who might have an interest in responding to you can actually see what your problem is. FWIW, though it's for WM2003SE, you might try this link (http://forum.mypdacafe.com/viewtopic.php?t=1541&amp;highlight=).

ironguy
01-09-2006, 03:40 PM
After reading this article, I kept the thought in the back of my mind over the next several days.

I basically surveyed my own PPC habits. I found that I read a LOT. I use uBook for almost all of my reading.

Sure I use other programs, but not with the consistency of uBook.

yowzator
01-09-2006, 09:01 PM
I'm loving this thread. I already use many of the apps mentioned, but there are so many other suggestions that I've now got to check out. However, I too agree that I could mostly get by with just the default apps if I had to. This would certainly limit the usefulness of the device.

But when it comes down to it, I couldn't do without PocketTTY. As a unix sysadmin, this app saves me tons of time by allowing me to remotely SSH to a server to fix problems. This allows me to live my life rather than having to hang out at home or at the office whenever I'm on call. Also, it really helps to have my bluetooth Stowaway keyboard to use with PocketTTY. I'm considering getting a new phone/pda with builtin keyboard so I don't need the extra keyboard too.

There are three other apps that I use regularly that nobody else has mentioned yet. The first is ftxPBrowser. It is basically a free app that enhances PIE to include tabbed browsing. At some point I'll probably buy NetFront, but for now, it works fine.

I really plan to check out eWallet, etc. But I'm already quite happy with a free app that basically does the same thing. Its called CryptoCard and it allows you to store your data encrypted in a heirarchical manner. Each card is stored in its own file, wich I actually like. Lastly, it has both a PPC and a Desktop client and ActiveSync syncs the data as plain files. It doesn't have features for automating website user/password storage, which is why I'm going to check out the others like it. But it is FREE.

Lastly, TimeTTracker MX is useful to keep track of billable time. It also has both a desktop and PPC version and is very powerful. I find that I'm not using it much anymore, but that is just because I've been working full time for a single client recently.

Hope these suggestions help some of you.

k1darkknight
01-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Decisions, decisions...
Honestly for me, it's a toss up between FITALY (yes, caps is proper for that, I believe), and SPB Pocket Plus. Once I found FITALY, I'll never go back to a QWERTY input method on PPC. I very nearly forgot to mention it, as I use it SO much, I don't even think about it! (Didn't someone once say that the best technology is that which you don't even notice, or somesuch?) But on the other hand, I couldn't do without having program icons on my Today screen (which I've come to think of as my pocket desktop...lol). I just HATED going from Windows 95/98/XP's methodology of 'double-click and it's open' to the old Windows 3.x 'open Program Manager, double-click and it's open' scheme. I just want to run the program, not have to find it first, THEN run it!
After my 1st place tie, I'd have to say a close 3rd is Sean O'Connor's Pocket Slay (http://www.windowsgames.co.uk/slay.html), which is sort of a cross between the old Battletech hex-based board games, and Risk. This is a GREAT app for 'counter-productivity' !!! :wink: :mrgreen: :wink:

Jon Westfall
01-10-2006, 12:32 AM
I'm loving this thread. ...
But when it comes down to it, I couldn't do without PocketTTY.

Glad you're enjoying the thread. I'll second your choice here. PocketTTY kicks ***. I'm the sole admin for a (thankfully) very stable Redhat box at a webhosting company, and while Terminal Services client helps me out with 10 out of 11 boxes, the 11th would be impossible to fix without PocketTTY. It's also nice that it is only a 1 exe program, just copy the exe onto my storage card and access when needed!

Jon.

jlp
07-26-2006, 09:28 AM
I love those threads.

However is there a Wiki type page somewhere in which each one can add their program so that newcomers don't have to go thru 9 pages of (otherwise very informative) posts. 8)

Somewhat long when reading it late at night... :sleeping:

hydrashok
08-04-2006, 01:25 PM
These are my top 5. I can't do without any of these:

1. Opera.
2. Egress.
3. Phat Pad &amp; Phat Notes Pro.
4. Pocket Player (Conduits).
5. Resco Explorer 2005.

AND, SPB Pocket Plus to rule them all!

AND, uh... SK Tools.

That makes seven, but I think 7 (and not 5) is the magic number for me.