View Full Version : Shouldn't Categories on the PC sync over?

schmenge
01-01-2006, 11:06 PM
I was doing a little regoranzing of my notes today (Outlook 2003) and created a couple of new categories in the master categtories, then assigned various notes to the new category. Also created a couple of new notes for that catefory.

But when I look at my PPC the new notes are there but the new category is not. Shouldn't the category sync over?

WM 2003

Sven Johannsen
01-02-2006, 12:01 AM
The stock Notes app in WM2003 doesn't support categories. No wonder it didn't transfer the new ones. I would bet if you assigned a contact to that new category it would sync it and add it to the master list.

oguime
01-02-2006, 03:00 AM
Take a look at PhatNotes Standard from PhatWare.com. It is much better at handling notes and I BELIEVE categories also sync with Outlook.

But test it quickly. Their products are on sale for 3 days only and can be bought for $12.95 (PhaNotes Satndard usually sells for $29.95) until tuesday.

There is also a Pro version, which syncs with it's own desktop application and not Outlook (usually $39.95).

Regards,

Gilson

schmenge
01-02-2006, 03:20 AM
Sven- I tried the categories and contacts trick but it didn't work. :(

Gilson- I had thought about PhatNotes (and the excellent price right now), but I really don't use notes all that much. Still, maybe I should download the demo.

Sven Johannsen
01-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Sven- I tried the categories and contacts trick but it didn't work. :(

That's odd. My custom categories transfer over, as long as there is a contact that has that category assigned. Of course that still doesn't help on Notes as it doesn't support categories at all. Phatnotes is a good option, especially at the current price. Watch that you get the standard version if you are looking for Outlook Notes compatibility.

oguime, can you confirm that Phatnotes transfers the caegories you assign in Outlook to the PPC?

oguime
01-02-2006, 05:23 PM
Sven,

oguime, can you confirm that Phatnotes transfers the categories you assign in Outlook to the PPC?

I can't because I use the Pro version, which syncs with it's own desktop application but can keep text formatting.

Sven Johannsen
01-02-2006, 06:01 PM
Just loaded up Phatnotes Standard, and while it has a categories feature it is NOT the Outlook categories. It has things like Comment, Fax, Letter, etc. So apparently this is not going to meet the desire to sync the Outlook categories that can be assigned in Outlook.

schmenge
01-02-2006, 07:59 PM
I did downlaod Phatnotes Standard and somehow it is working for me. I'm not sure why the categories are working since like Sven I see it has it's own, but somehow through all my playing this seems, at least for now, to be working.

ctmagnus
01-03-2006, 05:33 AM
You can add your own categories to PhatNotes. It's not as intuitive as changing categories in, eg, Pocket Informant but they do sync back to the desktop.

Sven Johannsen
01-03-2006, 06:11 AM
Hmm, guess it does work. Not being a big notes organizer, I looked at the category list in PhatNotes and found it to be totally different than Outlooks and assumed it was different. Once i actually assigned categories ot notes it actually works. Teach me to jump to conclusions. Of course after the holidays I can use any excercise I get.