View Full Version : PPC-6700: The Pros and Cons of this great device after 2.5 months of use...

purefusion
12-31-2005, 04:12 AM
First off, I love this device. I received mine October 14th, and have had two and a half months to use it, test it, and devise my list of desired features for it. Perhaps there are a some hacks for some of them... some probably not. But I can't really complain, this is the best PPC on the market IMO. I am still getting used to putting my notes, thoughts and ideas into the PDA, as I have used Post-It notes for the last five years or so, and have built up a huge collection!

The Cons:
Slide out keyboard has no CTRL button (I am a shortcut king, and I copy/paste a lot; the on screen kbd has one, otherwise you have to use the popup menu.) A workaround to this would rock. For instance, I don't need the "windows" key, to somehow be able to turn that into the CTRL key...

It does freeze periodically, to the point where I have to let it sit for about 8-12 hours on the carger (happens regardless of battery charge amount). It is frozen as I am writing this article. This is bad when you use it for business (http://www.scottrageous.com) as I do. You won't be able to receive calls during that time. This may be remedied by removing the battery and replacing it, but who wants to do that?! Only if I'm putting in a fresh one, of course.

I have had a couple instances where the device is stuck in a type of "CTRL-click" where I can't actually open up a task to view or edit it. Instead, it selects every task I click, as if I'm CTRL-clicking it. It still does this even though I stop all programs in the Memory Settings Dialog.

Speakerphone is sooo quiet! I can hear it fine in the office, or the house. But in the car, you have to wear the headset! Tried adjusting the volume.

It's slightly sluggish to change orientation, not a big one for me.

Difficulty in finding additional batteries... though I was able to find car and travel chargers without a problem.

You can't uninstall the stock installed programs (typical for Microsoft). If anyone knows a way, you'll be my new friend! ;-)

MiniSD... only 1GB as of now. I did pick one up, and it comes with the converter to convert to the standard SD size for other devices like my digital camera. But it's going to be a lot harder to find a "MiniSD GPS Antenna" to use this beauty as a GPS device, which is one desire of mine.

Staying on top of email is great, but I can't seem to get the outgoing settings right. If anyone knows the trick, please tell me! :-) I can't seem to find my manual...
fixed... see posts below

Settings. It's not as customizable as a normal computer or phone would be. I can't program voice dials (or at least figure out how). And I can't use the bluetooth headset for any advanced features like menu navigation or voice dial, just for plain talking on the phone. I usually keep the Bluetooth headset off. I want a voice dial option!

Internet Explorer Homepage defaults to the preloaded "manufacture logo page" even though I set the home page to my own. I still have to hit Menu > Home to go the the home page after loading Internet Explorer. Anyone know of a better PDA browser? I believe Opera has a java based one for cells, would it work for WM5?

Thickness. It seemed akward at first sight, especially using it as a phone up to your head, and I was torn between getting it, or its predecessor, the PPC-6600. After reading positive reviews exclaiming that it was nearly perfect, I decided it's best not to mess with a good thing! The huge antenna seemed out of place too, but I hardly noticed it after the first week or so. The small but inch-thick size of the PDA does make it feel nice and comfortable in your hands. So it's more of a neutral feature than a con, or pro...

The Pros!
It's a great device...

(ok, now the real Pros)

You don't loose data when the battery dies! (HUGE!!) Though, for best practice, I do recommend backups often! You never know what may happen!

Internet radio!!! This rocks, because I always told people I would rather have internet radio in my car than to pay for Satellite radio. Now I can!*

Internet access. Some websites look great on the PDA. Some are just poorly designed and don't display right. I'm a web designer (http://www.scottrageous.com), so it's nice to check the display of my style sheets in the PDA before I go live with a site. Search engines could be better... (use Google, because Yahoo results display in a half-inch-wide strip). I know there are a few programs out there that use internet (like weather apps, etc). So it's convenient.

Unlimited access for only $15 (Sprint). This is unbelievable. Verizon's fee is $49.99. Sprint's used to be $30 for the PDA, but I was pleasantly surprised at the lowered price.

Landscape mode, with a side-slide-out keyboard. How unique! It seemed strange at first, but as I read the first reviews on Phone Scoop (http://www.phonescoop.com) it became apparent that it was much better than its predecessor, the 6600 (which I was about to order when the salesman mentioned that they had the 6700).

1.3 MPX camera is nice, but I've only used it a few times. I'd rather use my 4 MPX point and shoot by Casio.

Joystick is unique, but it's decent for quick, single-handed access and navigation. On web pages, it's not a smooth scroller. It jumps to the next link on the page, so you may just want to break out the stylus to scroll.

Accessories. It came with ear buds with built in MIC, so you can listen to music and carry on a conversation with one headset. Listen clearly with earbuds for both ears. Would you believe this headset went through the washer and dryer, and still works perfectly? Believe! Also comes with leather case, extra stylus.

Other details: I did drop the unit onto the sidewalk and it landed on its antenna. :? It suffered not, except for couple tiny scratches on the antenna which have mostly vanished. However, later I realized that the stylus was missing. Thinking that it may have fallen out of the antenna, I went back to the location it fell, I looked around for the stylus with my wife. She found it. But otherwise the stylus seems pretty secure in its "sheeth".

If anyone else has any comments, or pros/cons to add, please do. Fixes are more than welcomed. Other than that, I hope you have (had) a safe and snazzy new year! :)

* Note: It is illegal to listen to headphones (in both ears) while driving a vehicle.

bradray
12-31-2005, 09:03 AM
I use Microsoft Voice Command to get voice dialing. It works great. The only downside is that you can't use a bluetooth headset to initiate it, it has to be a button on the PPC. It also seems to not understand me very well through bluetooth, but works great with the included headset. I re-assigned the IE button for Voice Command.

pocketpcadmirer
01-01-2006, 07:20 PM
Nice review..

Sunny :D

Chris Spera
01-02-2006, 04:38 AM
Instead of letting the device just sit, try soft resetting it. This is done by poking the device in the reset hole with the stylus tip, and is equivalent to rebooting the device. It is MUCH quicker, and you'll be able to use the device immediately. BTW, when you replace the battery, that's effectively what is happening, and is occasionally required now and again. Soft resetting the device will not cause any of your data to be lost (a hard or factory reset, will).

Cybrid
01-02-2006, 07:45 AM
It does freeze periodically, to the point where I have to let it sit for about 8-12 hours on the carger (happens regardless of battery charge amount). It is frozen as I am writing this article.
Soft reset. Insert stylus into "reset" pinhole and release.

Speakerphone is sooo quiet! I can hear it fine in the office, or the house. But in the car, you have to wear the headset! Tried adjusting the volume.Bluetooth headset

You can't uninstall the stock installed programs (typical for Microsoft). If anyone knows a way, you'll be my new friend! Can't! In an unerasable ROM. You could delete the shortcuts so you don't see them....:(

MiniSD... only 1GB as of now. I did pick one up, and it comes with the converter to convert to the standard SD size for other devices like my digital camera. But it's going to be a lot harder to find a "MiniSD GPS Antenna" to use this beauty as a GPS device, which is one desire of mine.
Bluetooth GPS or Serial GPS

Staying on top of email is great, but I can't seem to get the outgoing settings right. If anyone knows the trick, please tell me! :-) I can't seem to find my manual... Type of mail? POP? IMAP? What ISP?

Settings. It's not as customizable as a normal computer or phone would be. I can't program voice dials (or at least figure out how). And I can't use the bluetooth headset for any advanced features like menu navigation or voice dial, just for plain talking on the phone. I usually keep the Bluetooth headset off. I want a voice dial option!Voice command

But otherwise the stylus seems pretty secure in its "sheeth".
Silo not Sheath :)

purefusion
01-03-2006, 07:48 PM
Silo... sheeth... I was thinking in terms of the stylus being a sword ;-)

Anyway, for email, I'm using IMAP4. In the email account settings, screen 4/4 there's an option for domain. I have no clue what it was, so I left it blank. Incoming mail is scottrageous.com (http://www.scottrageous.com) and the outgoing domain is mail.bex.net. I'm not using Sprints outgoing server, but I could. Don't know the info. I'm guessing it has to do with domain though.

Found the pinhole, thanks. How do you do a hard reset (just for reference)?

Already using the BT headset in place of spkr phone, but it'd still be nice to hear it in the car.

Didn't think of bluetooth GPS, I'll have to check that out...

I'll be checking out Voice Command soon.

Thanks!

Cybrid
01-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Anyway, for email, I'm using IMAP4. In the email account settings, screen 4/4 there's an option for domain. I have no clue what it was, so I left it blank. Incoming mail is scottrageous.com (http://www.scottrageous.com) and the outgoing domain is mail.bex.net. I'm not using Sprints outgoing server, but I could. Don't know the info. I'm guessing it has to do with domain though.

Found the pinhole, thanks. How do you do a hard reset (just for reference)?

Already using the BT headset in place of spkr phone, but it'd still be nice to hear it in the car.

Thanks!I think you might have to use Sprint's outgoing server. I'm not sure about Sprint but I know many ISP's block port access to servers not their own. Out here in Canada, Telus blocks Rogers and Rogers is kind enough to reciprocate.
Hard Resets are dependent on hardware...look up the manual..perhaps on Sprint's site.
Can't help you on the volume but you could by a cabled/BT car speakerphone cradle.......might do what you want.

purefusion
01-04-2006, 04:19 PM
my outgoing server: mail.bex.net does allow the use of the server when not using bex internet.

Anyone know what the domain setting is for? It's on screen 4/4 in account options...

Perhaps you could show what settings you're using for all 4 screens?

Cybrid
01-04-2006, 04:28 PM
my outgoing server: mail.bex.net does allow the use of the server when not using bex internet.

Anyone know what the domain setting is for? It's on screen 4/4 in account options...

Perhaps you could show what settings you're using for all 4 screens?More to the point would Sprint allow you to use alternative mail servers "on their internet"

purefusion
01-04-2006, 05:45 PM
Gotcha. After hanging on the phone for an hour while being bounced around, I finally got through to the special "PPC-6700" department (also known as: advanced tech support) and was able to get the email working.

Indeed, Sprint has locked out other outgoing servers and require you to use theirs. smtp.sprintpcs.com with your vision username and password.

Also, the "Domain:" setting should always be left blank. It's a microsoft thing, and some outgoing servers require it, Sprint's does not. ;)

Also, it may be of note that there is a special tech support number that you may use to get through to the advanced tech staff (aka "the ppc-6700 people") because otherwise, you'll get bounced around and eventually end up with them anyway.

I was given two numbers:

1-866-818-1944
1-888-818-1924

One is bound to work, most likely the 888, both numbers were given to me by different reps. The 888 number was given to me by the person who actually helped me fix the issue.

Whew! Hope that helps everyone :)

Cybrid
01-04-2006, 06:11 PM
Gotcha. Do you think a representative of Sprint would know more about setting it up?Yes. From what I googled though it is a POP based account.
You would need two accounts set up. The one you prefer to download your mail (mail.bex.net.) and the second sprint to send.

purefusion
01-04-2006, 07:54 PM
I was able to get it to work. See my last post, which I edited with the details. Also, there is a special number to call to get a hold of technical support.

I was able to do everything with one account. Sprint just locks alternate outgoing servers. I had to use Sprints ;)

purefusion
01-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Anyone have any idea how to change the default 425 area code in a contact to aomething else? (ex. 419)

Also, anyone know of a way to listen to music using the bluetooth headset? That'd rock.

galt
01-12-2006, 06:21 AM
The Cons:
Slide out keyboard has no CTRL button (I am a shortcut king, and I copy/paste a lot; the on screen kbd has one, otherwise you have to use the popup menu.) A workaround to this would rock. For instance, I don't need the "windows" key, to somehow be able to turn that into the CTRL key...

Internet Explorer Homepage defaults to the preloaded "manufacture logo page" even though I set the home page to my own. I still have to hit Menu > Home to go the the home page after loading Internet Explorer. Anyone know of a better PDA browser? I believe Opera has a java based one for cells, would it work for WM5?

Regarding the lack of a Ctrl key, please try the fantastic PQz (http://www.nicque.com/PQz/). It was developed for the HTC Universal but I believe it's working well on other WM5 devices. Not only does this awesome little app allow you to make another key work as CTRL or ALT it also works as a app launcher/switcher and closer. If you have any questions about the app, read through this thread here (http://forum.xda-developers.com/viewtopic.php?t=33343&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0) to see if your question is answered.

There's a few pages of tips for your device here (http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=57061), some of which require the use of a registry editor like Resco File Explorer (great app) or freeware like PHM Regedit (warning, messing with your registry can be dangerous if you don't know what you are doing).

To fix the PIE home page issue, they suggest:

a quick workaround to this issue of the hardware IE button not going to the homepage you've set.

In the \windows\appbuttons folder you'll see an "Internet Explorer.lnk" file. If open the file using Word mobile it contains:

28#"\Windows\iexplore.exe"
\windows\default.htm

Edit the file so that it just says:

28#"\Windows\iexplore.exe"

Close Word mobile, kill any running instance of IE and restart it using the hardware button. Should work now.

Also, you can change the default area code by going into the contacts app, choosing Menu, then Options.

Cybrid
01-12-2006, 09:04 AM
Anyone have any idea how to change the default 425 area code in a contact to aomething else? (ex. 419)

Also, anyone know of a way to listen to music using the bluetooth headset? That'd rock.Load a few songs on a card. Prep Media player. Activate the connection by tapping the "talk" button on the headset. Hit play on Media player

MitchellO
01-16-2006, 11:26 PM

http://www.nicque.com/PQz/

I used this prog on my KJAM and it was great for setting the Windows key to Ctrl. Copy/Paste was never easier!

MitchellO
01-16-2006, 11:30 PM

Also, anyone know of a way to listen to music using the bluetooth headset? That'd rock.

I could listen to music through a bluetooth headset or bluetooth carkit by activating MS Voice Command. When you press the headset button (and the appropriate mod to get VC on the BT headset button) it opens an audio channel to the PDA. You could then say cancel and the channel would stay open for any audio (alerts, music, etc).

That was with voice command though.

Cybrid
01-16-2006, 11:58 PM

I could listen to music through a bluetooth headset or bluetooth carkit by activating MS Voice Command. When you press the headset button (and the appropriate mod to get VC on the BT headset button) it opens an audio channel to the PDA. You could then say cancel and the channel would stay open for any audio (alerts, music, etc).

That was with voice command though.Don't need voice command, don't even need a PPC Phone . Have used Dell X50V and Jabra 'set to skype, record audio conversations live, listen to music.

As near as I can explain. The BT 'set overrides the onboard speaker and Mic just as if you plugged in a wired speaker/mic. You don't need anything else.

I saw something on a PPC 6700 Telus edition that has me curious.

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=384018#384018

pelermon
01-18-2006, 03:19 AM
I miss my 6700.
Its a great PPC ,but it was not a very good phone.

Poor battery life, $2 speaker, awkward to dial.
Traded it for a Samsung 940. Heck of a phone.

Ill wait for the next generation 6800? maybe 6900.
na 6800.

globaloffice
01-22-2006, 06:17 PM
You can't uninstall the stock installed programs (typical for Microsoft). If anyone knows a way, you'll be my new friend! Can't! In an unerasable ROM. You could delete the shortcuts so you don't see them

Betcha $$ you can. Can we post hacks here?

-R

purefusion
01-23-2006, 06:22 AM
Galt, a wealth of great information. Thank you! Now, that you know of, will PQz change instances of the particular key on the slide out keyboard, and the onscreen keyboard? I'd probably replace the Windows key with Ctrl, but I'm still curious.

Also, where can I download the Voice Command program? MS website? I'll have to play around and see if I can get the BT headset to work outside of a call.

I've been having some strange problems since I tried to hook the phone up as a USB modem, and it didn't work. The drivers didn't install exactly how the instructions said they should, but after getting them installed, I was able to attempt dialing out and got an error code 797 (or something similar). When I called Sprint, the first guy wanted to hard reset the phone. Not having sync'd I told him I'd call back. The next guy I got a hold up walked me through some codes and backdoor stuff that reset the Vision Provisioning without hard-resetting the phone. So it worked, but now (about a week later) I'm getting missing modem errors, though the device is still transmitting web data and loading pages before the error pops up. Strange stuff. I have not reattempted to use the phone as a laptop modem since the Data Provisioning was resent from Sprint.

Thanks again! You've all got great information.

bmac
02-04-2006, 05:30 PM
The docking crasdle is not the most convenient one I have used. It is easy to slide the XV6700 in but takes a little effort to remove it. And I wonder how long that connector will last with all of the in-out movements.

I also vote for a stronger speaker phone. Any between the phone and the BT headset I have (Motorola), I wish I could get more volume.

Bill

rlieving
02-09-2006, 04:55 AM
I cannot get my PPC 6700 to sync with my corporate exchange server. The problem is that the certificate is not recognized as valid. I get the same error two different ways.

If I sign on to the oma web mail, I get a warning that the certificate is not valid. The actual text on my PPC is “Information you exchange with this site cannot be viewed or changed by others. However, there is a problem with the site’s security certificate. <Cauton Icon>The certificate was issued by a company you have chosen not to trust. <Green light icon>The certificate date is valid. <Green light icon> The certificate has a valid name matching the name you are trying to view.”

If I try to sync with the Exchange Server, it doesn’t work and I get the following message: “The security certificate on the server is invalid. Contact your Exchange Server administrator or ISP to install a valid certificate on the server. Support code: 0x80072F0D”

We use a certificate issued by GeoTrust. I downloaded the cert from the website and installed on my ppc. I can see it in the Trusted Root. No luck. The certificate IS recognized as valid by every other connection (IE/Firefox).

What am I doing wrong???? In my opinion, this phone doesn't work if I cannot sync wirelessly with Exchange. I might as well go back to my Nokia candy bar with SMS.

Anjuan Simmons
02-09-2006, 05:33 AM
You can't uninstall the stock installed programs (typical for Microsoft). If anyone knows a way, you'll be my new friend! Can't! In an unerasable ROM. You could delete the shortcuts so you don't see them

Betcha $$ you can. Can we post hacks here?

-R

I'm not sure if this is a hack, but I was able to remove a couple of the stock installed programs by downloading the application from the vendor's website, installing it on my 6700 (which created an entry in the "Remove Programs" application), and then removing it. For example I was able to remove AudiblePlayer by following these steps:

1. Download the Microsoft Windows Mobile Devices AudiblePlayer from: http://www.audible.com/adbl/store/audibletogo.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes.

Make sure you choose "Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC or Smartphone" as your device type.
2. Run the installer to install the AudiblePlayer on your 6700.
3. Navigate to Start -> Settings -> System -> Remove Programs. You'll now see an entry for AudiblePlayer.
4. Click the "Remove" button to uninstall AudiblePlayer.

Voila! You've gotten rid of the software! I did this for another of the "un-removable" stock programs, but I can't remember the name of it (it's no longer on my device)! However, you can Google the name of the application you want to remove and see if you can find an installer that can be used in the method I described above.

purefusion
02-11-2006, 08:23 PM
Thanks Anjuan, I'll give that a shot when I get some spare time.

Does anyone know how to stop my ppc6700 from coming on randomly? Even when I don't have it set to check email, it comes on periodically. Sometimes, when it's in my case I end up pressing some buttons some how, and either end up opening notes, contacts, dialing people, etc. I don't know how I could be pressing buttons in the right order to do that, but I am. I blame it on the joystick. It's so far out there, and I always bump it when it's in my holster!

JoeXv
02-12-2006, 01:59 AM
Purefusion,
All you have to do is go into settings, personal tab, than buttons, than lock
,than choose "lock all buttons except power button... : :D

purefusion
02-16-2006, 03:51 AM
I have keyloack on, but that doesn't explain why the device randomly turns on (which then disables the keylock).

;)

Crashless
02-25-2006, 12:02 AM
Even though the OP's question was resolved. I thought I'd mention that I was able to use my own smtp server on the Sprint network.

I believe the key is not on Sprint's side, but on the smtp's side. Many ISPs don't allow connections from outside their IP range. This helps prevent spammers from taking over their server. So if you use comcast's smtp server, you're probably SOL and have to use sprint's as is mentioned above.

But since my email is through my web host, I'm able to connect to it without issue as long as I have the 'outgoing server requires authentication' checked. I suggest you check with your ISP or web host to see which smtp server is best to use.

purefusion
02-25-2006, 03:08 AM
I'm able to use my ISP for outgoing mail generally wherever I am, on the laptop. I just couldn't get the 6700 to work with it. I tried about every combination of settings. Perhaps it's not just about the IP address? :|

pcause
03-01-2006, 01:35 AM
I've had my device for about 4 weeks now and love it. I've read various forums and added thew hacks. Am about to try PQZ, which will solve my frustration about not having a ctl key, hopefully. Wish I could find a free button mapper to give me press and hold for more keys.

I find the phone OK. I had a Kyocera slider as a phone and it wasn't any better as a phone. I missed the voice dialing, but tried the MS Voice Command and am going to buy, but feel they should include this app in a smartphone.

Have a 1 Gb mini SD card and getting one is a MUST for the device. Don't know if it MS or HTC, but hate the problem that they have about bringing the SD online correctly that prevents more apps from being installed on the mini SD.

I have had no problems with email. I wish you could have all your accounts go to a single inbox instead of separating OL, and other email accounts. Anyone know how to et up Hotmail? See it as a soure, but not a way to set it up. MSN settings?

I found out how much I have come to depend on the device when I traveled internaitonally last week and this week. Couldn't use the wireless data capabilities in UK and Japan. Found myself missing the device's convenience. of course, there is WiFi and Skype!!

purefusion
03-06-2006, 04:30 AM
pcause, nice review.

Anyone figured out how to use this as a tethered device? I followed the instructions in the manual, using the dialer, but keep getting an error.

cid92
03-14-2006, 07:59 PM

Haven't seen antone respond to this (I think).

Open Contacts, then goto Menu, then options. You can change the Area Code right there.

purefusion
03-15-2006, 06:41 PM
Someone did reply. I got the area code all set and figured out.