View Full Version : WM5 SIP Problem / Auto-switching to default SIP

alatmeth
12-30-2005, 09:53 PM
I've just bought and installed TenGo Thumb v1.03 on my WM5 device. It doesn't seem to work. I can run the tutorial and register the program through the SIP option, but whenever I tried to switch to TenGo, my default SIP (which happens to be letter recognizer) turns on.

Then I tried to uninstall and reinstall it. Same problem. The strange thing is that after a full uninstall (PC and WM) and a reset, and a search & destroy for "TenGO" in the registry and RAM, my registration info was still remembered. Is there any way to fully uninstall TenGo Thumb?

I've tried to install another SIP, nullKB, and same error. Whenever I tried to select the SIP, my default SIP just pops up. When I changed the default SIP to Keyboard, selecting TenGo Thumb and nullKB will bring up Keyboard now.

Does anyone have any experience with such weird behaviour? Info on how to fully uninstall SIPs (such as TenGo Thumb) will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

victore
12-31-2005, 01:14 AM
If you have a lot of SIP and/or Today screen plugins, this will sometimes cause this behaviour. Try disabling your plugins and soft reset your device. This might help.

Darius Wey
12-31-2005, 03:55 AM
victore is on the right track. It's basically a shortage of system resources. System add-ons such as Today plug-ins, SIPs, and background operations all run under the same process, which in turn, consumes the number of GDI resources available. VGA devices tend to be more resource-hungry.

So, once the system process runs out of resources, any attempted load of a plug-in fails. A couple of suggestions would be to disable any active Today plug-ins to free up resources. Sometimes, a soft-reset can also fix it (but this is a solution that rarely works since you tend to load the same operations, anyway).

I would have thought Windows Mobile 5.0 had fixed this, but based on what you've reported, I'm guessing it hasn't. :?

victore
12-31-2005, 09:01 AM
I too had hoped that WM5 would have fixed this serious shortcoming, however, I've learned to live with a bear minimum number of Today screen plugins.

alatmeth
12-31-2005, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the reply. At least I have an idea of what going on.
Indeed I think victore is right. My device is running WM5 Phone Edition, with default SPB Pocket Plus, Chinese Add-on, PocketBreeze, Resco Today and PI, and a list of SIPs... I guess I have to clear some of them :(

Is there any way to clean/disable/remove some of the default start-up services or remove default SIPs? Thanks.

Darius Wey
12-31-2005, 06:33 PM
Is there any way to clean/disable/remove some of the default start-up services or remove default SIPs? Thanks.

Not easily. It's a messy "hacked" process and one that usually leads to a lot of problems. :(

victore
12-31-2005, 07:17 PM
I don't know of a way to remove the default SIP's like Block Recognizer, Letter Recognizer and Keyboard, but you can use MemMaid to disable some of the Today screen plugins and reorder the startup services. It's been my experience that this only works occasionally. The only way I've gotten my preferred SIP to launch consistently is to remove Today screen plugins that I don't use and to limit the number of SIP's. Good luck.