View Full Version : Wonderful WM 5 upgrade!! Except for the HORRIBLE bluetooth

Patrick Y.
12-30-2005, 07:24 PM
Hi everyone,
I just upgraded my x50v last night. I got my CD long time ago, but for some reason that the ROM update utility doesn't like my computer. The utility just got stucked in the middle of the upgrade process and won't proceed. Anyway, my family just got a new laptop for Christmas. While I dreaded many problems that users reported, I just can't wait to try out the upgrade again. So, I use the new computer and upgraded my x50v eventually. The upgrade went smoothly and soon I was the new proud owner of WM 5 x50v!!!!!!!!

Afterwards, I did what most users would do- check for problems. Without anything installed, or storage cards inserted, WM 5 runs PERFECTLY. It's extremely fast, responsive, and snappy. There is also no battery drain and other problems. The battery life is awsome so far and the processor was able to adjust the speed automatically (no stucking at 624mhz problem). The new interface and the soft keys are great too. The soft key actually made the interface more elegant and simple. THe updated IE, Word, and Excel is also a pleasing change. In conclusion, I have to say that WM 5 is AWSOME!!!!! Absolutely the best!!!!

Now to the dark side..... What's up with the HORRRRIBLEE, DREEAADFUL bluetooth???????????????????????? I already heard about the "crippled" bluetooth from other users, but I didn't realize it's this bad. All the features from SE are gone and setting up connections is a pain. My bluetooth accessories also stopped working with the new bluetooth. Now, I would be one happy boy if this can be fixed.

Cheers!!
Patrick

Mitch D
12-30-2005, 11:49 PM
Hi everyone,
I just upgraded my x50v last night. I got my CD long time ago, but for some reason that the ROM update utility doesn't like my computer. The utility just got stucked in the middle of the upgrade process and won't proceed. Anyway, my family just got a new laptop for Christmas. While I dreaded many problems that users reported, I just can't wait to try out the upgrade again. So, I use the new computer and upgraded my x50v eventually. The upgrade went smoothly and soon I was the new proud owner of WM 5 x50v!!!!!!!!

Afterwards, I did what most users would do- check for problems. Without anything installed, or storage cards inserted, WM 5 runs PERFECTLY. It's extremely fast, responsive, and snappy. There is also no battery drain and other problems. The battery life is awsome so far and the processor was able to adjust the speed automatically (no stucking at 624mhz problem). The new interface and the soft keys are great too. The soft key actually made the interface more elegant and simple. THe updated IE, Word, and Excel is also a pleasing change. In conclusion, I have to say that WM 5 is AWSOME!!!!! Absolutely the best!!!!

Now to the dark side..... What's up with the HORRRRIBLEE, DREEAADFUL bluetooth???????????????????????? I already heard about the "crippled" bluetooth from other users, but I didn't realize it's this bad. All the features from SE are gone and setting up connections is a pain. My bluetooth accessories also stopped working with the new bluetooth. Now, I would be one happy boy if this can be fixed.

Cheers!!
Patrick

At least I am not the only one that has noticed how crappy WM5 bluetooth interface it. I for the life of me can't get my Ax to connect to my BT gps. I hope that Dell is working on a fix for this and so!

Patrick Y.
12-31-2005, 02:45 AM
With WM5, Dell use MS Bluetooth stack instead of Widcomm bluetooth stack for SE. My keyboard won't work anymore because of this. :evil: I doubted that they will fix this soon unless all of us decided scream at them.

see this (for x51v): http://www.aximsite.com/boards/showthread.php?t=110723

I think we really should file an organized complain.....

Patrick

Darius Wey
12-31-2005, 04:01 AM
Yes, the downside of Dell's Windows Mobile 5.0 upgrade is the switch from Widcomm to Microsoft for the Bluetooth stack. Thus, less services are available.

You're going to need to wait for Dell to release AKU2 as an update for a few extra services to be added to the Microsoft stack.

Patrick Y.
12-31-2005, 04:54 AM
Thank you for the information. THough, are you sure it's ever going to be fixed (x50v)? Also, will dell eventually switch back to Widcomm?

Darius Wey
12-31-2005, 10:16 AM
Thank you for the information. THough, are you sure it's ever going to be fixed (x50v)? Also, will dell eventually switch back to Widcomm?

I'm sure Microsoft is well aware of the fact that their Bluetooth stack is miles behind the Widcomm one, so I'd expect them to roll out a series of updates over the year to enable more and more services. AKU2, obviously being one of them; we'll simply have to wait to see what they bring out next.

As for whether Dell will release AKU2 on the X50v, that's only something a crystal ball and some high-level Dell execs can answer. Ditto on the switch back to Widcomm. ;)

kf6krc
01-01-2006, 04:21 PM
Hello Everyone,
I have been back and forth through serveral forums and the latest that I have heard is Dell may release a new ROM update possibly this month. i have not heard what the Update will fix but it should do some good. I am on my second x51v the 1st was totally worthless. The second one was better and I have figured out if you leave the worthless Bluetooth on it actually stops all of the soft resets and the problem of the x51v not seeing your CF/SD cards.
I have the last update the AO4 ROM update and it has help alot but they need to get it much better and do something the Bluetooth Stack.

Happy New Year :) :)

pocketpcadmirer
01-03-2006, 06:32 AM
yeah patrick..you r right..ms stacks offers way less services than widcomm's stack. My ipaq 2215 offeres lan support blah..blah..but my mini has crippled bt stack.

Sunny

Stephen Beesley
01-04-2006, 08:59 AM
Hello Everyone,
I have been back and forth through serveral forums and the latest that I have heard is Dell may release a new ROM update possibly this month. i have not heard what the Update will fix but it should do some good. I am on my second x51v the 1st was totally worthless...

Well I am just hoping that when Dell releases its next update for the x51 it will also finally release an update for the x50.

As I only very recently acquired an upgraded x50v I am generally pretty impressed - but the battery drain issue (with processor stuck on 624hz and associated heat) is driving me mad. Even considering going back to WM2003SE.

Patrick Y.
01-04-2006, 07:21 PM
The update for x51v was already released yesterday. :cry: :cry: :evil: (a06)

Stephen Beesley
01-05-2006, 02:14 AM

What really bugs me is, that when you think about it, WM5 has needed no less than 6 :!: updates to improve performance on the x51v and yet we are still stuck with the original upgrade version on the x50v. In fact we are probably worse off than an x51v without any of the updates as WM5 on the x50v seems to have some problems all of its own... :cry:

Darius Wey
01-05-2006, 02:48 AM

I'm still waiting for Dell to send me the revision history list so I know what's changed. Anyway, it'll be on the front-page soon-ish.

Patrick Y.
01-05-2006, 04:11 AM

I'm still waiting for Dell to send me the revision history list so I know what's changed. Anyway, it'll be on the front-page soon-ish.

Did you hear anything about the update for x50v WM5 users? Thanks

Darius Wey
01-05-2006, 04:33 AM
Did you hear anything about the update for x50v WM5 users? Thanks

Not yet - though I still need to clean out my inbox. If anything exciting is released, it'll be up on the front-page.