View Full Version : First PPC. ActiveSync and IE?

bleeder
12-30-2005, 05:43 AM
I just got an ipaq 1950, but I dont know what to do about activesync.

My PC has windows 2000 with all internet explorer wiped off among other things from the install disc. I've tried installing activesync with no luck, and I can't even run anything off the HP CD.

Do I need activesync to install programs and stuff on my pda?
For example, I tried downloading the magic button program and the setup was messed up on my PC like activesync was.

Can I just download programs via wifi or transfer to an SD card? (Tried the magic button .exe on my pda first, then tried pc after it was not a valid application)

I don't really want to, but if there's no alternative I might just make a "normal" windows 2000 partition for pda stuff.

Thanks, I coudlnt find anything about this.

EDIT: I also have another question.
My ipaq uses the Samsung SC32442 processor. Is this compatable with most stuff? (ie most programs list for ARM / XSCALE)

Jon Westfall
12-30-2005, 06:59 AM
Hi Bleeder,

What sort of error are you getting when you try to install Activesync? That will help us try to troubleshoot your problem.

Your device should be compatible with all ARM / XSCALE apps (If I remember right, all iPAQs use those processors - MIPS and the like refer to non-HP or Compaq Pocket PCs. You can install software directly on the machine by placing the installer's cab file on a memory card and using File Explorer to tap on the file from your memory card. This will launch the program's installer. A bunch of freeware and shareware cab files are available at http://www.freecabs.de . If you want your PIM data from outlook on your PPC, you will have to use Activesync or a third-party tool like Pumatech's Intellisync. I think you'll have more luck with AS though - if we can work out your install problem.

bleeder
12-30-2005, 07:45 AM
Alright well, when I launch the setup file for activesync 4.0 off the HP CD, installshield loads up but when the setup box pops up I get:

Setup not complete.
The wizard was interrupted before Microsoft ActiveSync 4.0 could be completely installed.
Your system has not been modified. To complete installation at another time, please run setup again.
Click Finish to exit the wizard.

Checking the event viewer doesn't say much.

Product: Microsoft ActiveSync 4.0 -- Installation operation failed.
Event ID: 11708
Source: MsiInstaller

Don't see much help looking up the event ID. I figured it was cause it couldnt find IE files. I have all system permissions etc

Also, about the processors. Maybe you got what I said, but this IPAQ doesn't use one of those processors, it uses this Samsung one (budget). Or is that the same thing? :oops:

Nurhisham Hussein
12-30-2005, 08:00 AM
All Pocket PC processors from 2002 onwards use the ARM architecture - the Samsung is compliant. That means that any software targeted at ARM processors will work for you, at least in terms of compatibility with the processor - the OS is another matter.

bleeder
12-30-2005, 08:14 AM
Ah, same architecture alright, thanks :)

Discovered cabs too, thanks for the help. (Not sure about activesync, or if I'll need it)

Another random question I have is when I get an SD card, can I allocate program memory to it? (Install stuff on it)

Nurhisham Hussein
12-30-2005, 08:30 AM
Treat an external card as an external hard drive - same principle. And for the same reasons, it's not always advisable to put programs there. It's pretty safe to do so, except for programs that hook into the system, or for plugins for the today screen. The reason is that the OS initialises the card interface very late in the bootup process (i.e. when you soft reset), which can result in 'program not found' errors.

Janak Parekh
12-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Alright well, when I launch the setup file for activesync 4.0 off the HP CD, installshield loads up but when the setup box pops up I get:
I don't think this will fix your problem, but don't use ActiveSync 4.0 -- use ActiveSync 4.1 from Microsoft's Pocket PC website (www.pocketpc.com). Another standard debugging step is to clear your TEMP directory.

That said, if you plan on using any recent Microsoft software, removing IE and its associated controls is certain to break it, as IE is more than just a browser -- it has an HTML component used for many rendering tasks, plus a network connection component used for various HTTP-related communications. I'm not quite sure why you decided to do it -- there's nothing wrong with keeping IE on your system yet using Firefox or another browser of your choice as the default. <shrug>

--janak

bleeder
12-31-2005, 02:52 AM
Some more noob questions,

Can I get rid of the recently opened programs in the start menu?
And can I get rid of the Calander / Contacts buttons at the bottom of the today screen?

I'm sure I'll have more.

As for removing IE, well some people don't like the idea but there is a community thats pro for it. :wink:

Janak Parekh
12-31-2005, 05:48 AM
And can I get rid of the Calander / Contacts buttons at the bottom of the today screen?
As far as I know, no. The latter is part of the menubar, actually. There may be registry hacks, so search the forums, but I haven't seen any.

As for removing IE, well some people don't like the idea but there is a community thats pro for it. :wink:
It has nothing to do with liking or not liking the idea -- it's just that it makes an increasing number of programs difficult to use. If you don't need to use ActiveSync, that's up to you. For what it's worth, you're talking to a Mac user that doesn't have IE in his Mac environment, only Firefox and Safari -- but in Virtual PC, IE is there, just in case. ;)

--janak

Nurhisham Hussein
01-01-2006, 02:27 AM

You could under WM2003SE in the sense of actually clearing the list - I don't think you can get rid of it entirely, and I'm unsure whether the same registry hack will work under WM5.0. In any case it's only a temporary remedy - as soon as you use more programs, the list will recreate itself. If you're interested, under WM2003SE, the relevant registry entries are here:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Shell\TaskSwitch