View Full Version : Has anyone ever opened their 19xx series to do a minor repair?

Rudy
12-28-2005, 02:30 PM
I have an HP iPAQ h1910 that has plenty of remaining usefulness & life, but I also suspect that the internal backup battery has failed. So, it's been sitting unused on my desk for several months now.

What happens is: when the main battery gets low & I attempt to replace it with a fully charged spare battery ---> the machine automatically goes into a hard/full reset & wipes out all the data, settings, & information.

The weird thing about this issue is that the "battery screen" says that the internal backup battery is fully charged. But regardless, every time I've tried swapping the main battery ---> all the data on the machine gets wiped out.

Everything I've read (& earlier posts here at www.pocketpcthoughts.com) seems to indicate a failed internal backup battery.

My dilemma is: there are obviously 2-3 highly recommended PDA service places that can probably run some diagnostics, & replace the internal battery (granted that it's the culprit). But by the time I pay the shipping, their diagnostic fee, battery replacement fee, + insure the parcel ---> I'll probably be up at ~$100-125 or more. With that amount, I might as well get a newer HP.

There are a handful of places that will sell the internal battery itself. I figured if the thing isn't toooo tricky to open, replace the internal battery, & successfully close it back up. It might be worth it to attempt a self installation (for someone like myself who builds their own desk-top machines & workstations). Has anyone out there done this battery replacement OR opened their machine for any other minor repairs?

I removed the 5 small Torx fasteners on the rear of the device, but the rear cover seems to still be held firmly in place.