View Full Version : PPC-6700 Sluggish at times???

code-frog
12-27-2005, 05:22 AM
I've had my PPC-6700 for a little over a week and I have to say it's an incredible tool for me. I can keep tabs on email now. I only have 1 device to carry. I love it. Never been more happy with any tech-toy. PERIOD!!! :D

To any other PPC-6700 owners... Have you noticed that at times mainly when you bring it out of a black screen mode it can take about to 5 or 10 seconds for it to wake up and respond to a button push on the screen?

- Rex

apeguero
12-27-2005, 06:29 AM
I noticed that as well. I don't know what gives only to hope that this may be fixed with a software patch eventually or someone may figure out how to tweak it in the registry.

simzz1
12-27-2005, 06:50 AM
If you are wanting to speed up your 6700, check out some hacks to speed up WM6 in general and other tips found in this thread...

http://pdaphonehome.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57061

Hope this helps.

Simzz

pocketpcadmirer
12-27-2005, 01:59 PM
Just make sure that you dont have lots of apps running in the background.

Use a task manager to manage running apps. Also, dont enable un-neccessary today plug-ins.

some task managers are http:\\spbsoftwareshouse.com<br>http:\\omegaone.com

Sunny

Paragon
12-27-2005, 07:55 PM
My understanding of this is that in suspend (screen off) WM5.0 holds data in RAM for some period of time, then saves it to ROM and flushes the cashe. So you can let your device go dark for a few seconds and turn it back on quickly, but if you leave it longer it then has to access from ROM which is slower.

Dave

Janak Parekh
12-27-2005, 08:22 PM
My understanding of this is that in suspend (screen off) WM5.0 holds data in RAM for some period of time, then saves it to ROM and flushes the cashe. So you can let your device go dark for a few seconds and turn it back on quickly, but if you leave it longer it then has to access from ROM which is slower.
I don't think that's it, Dave. I believe WM5 for Pocket PCs only does suspend, just like previous versions of WM. Also, my experience with a Universal suggests that the device comes back within 1-2 seconds at most -- certainly not 5-10 seconds. I'm guessing it's either an OEM tweak or third-party software that might be slowing this down.

--janak

Paragon
12-27-2005, 08:30 PM
I don't think that's it, Dave. I believe WM5 for Pocket PCs only does suspend, just like previous versions of WM. Also, my experience with a Universal suggests that the device comes back within 1-2 seconds at most -- certainly not 5-10 seconds. I'm guessing it's either an OEM tweak or third-party software that might be slowing this down.

--janak

Yeah, I'm not overly confident about it...but, I have read where this is the case....However thinking about it, I think you must be right. On the Wizard you have the option of holding the power button down to completely turn it off. It gives a warning that all unsaved info will be lost. If it did in fact move it to ROM as I stated above this would not happen, right?

Dave

code-frog
12-27-2005, 08:39 PM
I referenced the link provided by someone else. Tweaked a registry value and things have improved greatly.

bradray
12-28-2005, 07:40 PM
It's mostly about the today screen apps and sometimes programs in the background.

If you keep your today screen almost blank it helps tremendously.