View Full Version : PIE Upgrades

friedshrimp
12-26-2005, 02:53 PM
Does anyone know if there is an upgrade available for PIE (WM5)? When I go to My Yahoo, it says it is the equivilant of version 4.0 and says taht some things won't work correctly. Also having probs with the Java scripting abilities. Have tried running Internet Explorer Tool package but no effect on Java.

Darius Wey
12-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Does anyone know if there is an upgrade available for PIE (WM5)?

Not unless your manufacturer releases a ROM update, and even then, they tend not to be upgrades for Internet Explorer unless it's a complete upgrade of the operating system (e.g. WM2003SE to WM5).

When I go to My Yahoo, it says it is the equivilant of version 4.0 and says taht some things won't work correctly. Also having probs with the Java scripting abilities. Have tried running Internet Explorer Tool package but no effect on Java.

It's probably Yahoo! reading PIE's browser profile and thinking it's a non-compatible version. There are ways around this, but it's largely a manual process.

#1: If you're aware of the risks and comfortable with editing the registry of your device, you can edit the UserAgent of PIE to make it appear as IE6. To do this, use an appropriate registry editor and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent and change the following:

"Version"="MSIE 4.01"
"Platform"="Windows CE"

to

"Version"="MSIE 6.0"
"Platform"="Windows NT 5.1"

#2: If that seems a bit gung-ho, then you can take the easy way out and use a program such as Tweaks2K2 .NET or Spb Pocket PC Tips & Tricks. These programs implement hundreds of registry hacks in one easy-to-use interface.

Just bear in mind that none of these may fix the problem. If you're still have problems accessing specific resources of the site, then PIE doesn't have the necessary support for it. It's not as capable a browser as Internet Explorer or Firefox, purely because it's a mobile browser (a cut-down version of sorts).

friedshrimp
12-26-2005, 11:38 PM
Just got Thunderhawk II v2.1 working nd it took care of all of the issues that PIE was causing. Thanks for the help.

friedshrimp
12-26-2005, 11:43 PM
#1: If you're aware of the risks and comfortable with editing the registry of your device, you can edit the UserAgent of PIE to make it appear as IE6. To do this, use an appropriate registry editor and navigate to

I am rather comfortable using RegEdit with Windows XP. Can I use the same program to edit the reg file in WM5 or is a new PocketPC specific program required; and for it to be run on the HP rx1955 to modify the reg file there?

Nurhisham Hussein
12-27-2005, 01:09 AM
There are a number of registry editors available for the Pocket PC platform, but none AFAIK that are yet certified as compliant with WM5.0 except Resco's possibly. Tascal Regedit and PHM regedit are the one's I use.

Nurhisham Hussein
12-27-2005, 01:19 AM
Go here for a complete (and I mean complete!) guide to registry editors for Windows Mobile:

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/menneisyys/UltimateRoundupOfRegistryEditors.asp

Darius Wey
12-27-2005, 03:30 AM
The one included in Resco File Explorer 2005 works great in Windows Mobile 5.0. PHM Registry Editor does the job as well.

But to answer your original question, no, you cannot copy regedit.exe from Windows XP over to the Pocket PC and expect it to work. You will require a separate Pocket PC version such as the aforementioned, or what is included on the page that hishamh has linked to.

friedshrimp
12-27-2005, 06:24 PM
Thanks for all the info. hishamh that article was very informative. I think I'll try PHM first since it's free (gotta save somewhere) and if that doesn't do the trick then I'm sure Resco will. Again, thanks guys (assumption, I know......... :lol: ).

Nurhisham Hussein
12-28-2005, 02:02 AM
I'm sorry to say this, but the phm website is currently down due to damage to its servers - I'd suggest Tascal Reg Edit in the meantime until the the website comes back up. I'd actually recommend installing both - TRE is the only freeware reg editor that will do registry imports AND exports (very, very useful for hacking), while PHM has that nifty search function. Together they're better than Resco.

Menneisyys
01-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Does anyone know if there is an upgrade available for PIE (WM5)? When I go to My Yahoo, it says it is the equivilant of version 4.0 and says taht some things won't work correctly. Also having probs with the Java scripting abilities. Have tried running Internet Explorer Tool package but no effect on Java.

Unfortunately, you can't hack PIE to use Yahoo Mail correctky. I've devoted several posts to this (newly introduced - it was just some weeks ago that the Yahoo people have changed the engine, making PIE useless in anything-but-read only mode) problem in my PPCMag Expert Blog. Perhaps the best post to start with is located at http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=318&more=1