View Full Version : Disappearing Icons On MS Reader Files (LIT)

CurtisMinBC
12-26-2005, 12:05 AM
Hi there,

This is a minor annoyance but for some weird reason my icons for LIT files disappear and I am not sure why (see screenshot below).

I have tried uninstalling then reinstalling MS Reader and this worked for awhile but then the icons disappeared again.

Any help is appreciated.

RGDS & TIA

Curtis M.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/CurtisMinBC/LITFileExamples.jpg

MarcFou
12-26-2005, 10:29 AM
I've never had that problem before with any file type. Since your using Resco Explorer try a Tap + Hold. Select Open with and choose MS Reader. Be sure to check the box to always use that application. That should restore your icon and is easier than uninstall + install.

Since Resco will add the registry entry for that file type maybe it will hold. I have had some issues though with files on removable media and swapping cards. The device would need to be soft reset in order for the storage cards contents to update.

CurtisMinBC
12-26-2005, 07:41 PM
I've never had that problem before with any file type. Since your using Resco Explorer try a Tap + Hold. Select Open with and choose MS Reader. Be sure to check the box to always use that application. That should restore your icon and is easier than uninstall + install.

Since Resco will add the registry entry for that file type maybe it will hold. I have had some issues though with files on removable media and swapping cards. The device would need to be soft reset in order for the storage cards contents to update.

Unfortunately even though they will open fine after doing what you suggested the icons do not take. I'm wondering if their is a setting in the registry for which icon to use.

RGDS

MarcFou
12-26-2005, 10:49 PM
There are the following registry keys...

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.lit
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\eBook
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\eBookEBO
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\DRM
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\EBook
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EBook

Only the first one listed above actually points to an icon for LIT files. I included the other keys for reference.

You might try sending Christine a PM. Shes from the MS Reader Team and is very helpfull with these sort of problems. Send PM (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/privmsg.php?mode=post&u=22336)