View Full Version : Desktop Installation

friedshrimp
12-25-2005, 09:04 PM
How do you install a new Desktop (*.tsk) to an rx1955? Thanks!

Nurhisham Hussein
12-26-2005, 01:25 AM
Copy the file to your iPaq in either the My Documents folder or the Windows folder - it should now be selectable from the Today control panel applet.

Darius Wey
12-26-2005, 04:07 AM
You can also create a My Themes folder in My Documents and place them in there. It helps keep things organised.

Once you've copied your TSKs, you can enable them from the Today applet as hishamh describes: i.e. Start > Settings > Today.

friedshrimp
12-26-2005, 01:44 PM
My problem is that I can't copy anything to my iPaq. To be specific, I sync my laptop and my iPaq. Then I open Windows Explorer on my Laptop, xpand the directories on my iPag and then on my Laptop. I see all of the directories and files on both devices. When I try to drag-n-drop the *.tsk file from my Laptop to either the Windows or My Documents folder on the iPaq, it shows the "CANNOT DO THIS" sign (you know, the round symbol with the slash through it). Can't get past that point. While on the subject of moving files, should this be the same procedure for moving .CAB files over as well? I wanted to try Thuderhawk but am having no success moving it. To bad it didn't come with an installation program. All of the SPB programs installed exceptionally well.

Darius Wey
12-26-2005, 06:08 PM
My problem is that I can't copy anything to my iPaq. To be specific, I sync my laptop and my iPaq. Then I open Windows Explorer on my Laptop, xpand the directories on my iPag and then on my Laptop. I see all of the directories and files on both devices. When I try to drag-n-drop the *.tsk file from my Laptop to either the Windows or My Documents folder on the iPaq, it shows the "CANNOT DO THIS" sign (you know, the round symbol with the slash through it). Can't get past that point.

Hmm, that's odd. Have you tried soft-resetting your device?

Alternatively, try loading the Pocket PC's contents by selecting Explore on the desktop version of ActiveSync.

While on the subject of moving files, should this be the same procedure for moving .CAB files over as well?

Yes, it is.

Another method, though I'm really going out to left field here, is to set up a Bluetooth Personal Area Network (PAN) and use the file transfer service from your computer to Pocket PC. But that's a really far-fetched method as opposed to the standard ActiveSync method.

friedshrimp
12-26-2005, 11:36 PM
Holy crap, it's alive!!! Sorry, just had to go there. Don't know if it's supposed to work this way but let me pass along what I found. I found that ActiveSync created a directory in my laptop's My Documents directory (just under Desktop if using Windows Explorer). It is listed as WM_User1 My Documents and under that are all of the directories and files in the My Documents folder on the rx1955. If I copy from the laptop to any folder under the WM_User1 My Documents directory, the laptop "syncs" them to the 1955 and now I can manipulate them (open .cabs, use .tsk themes, etc) on the 1955. Is this the way it is supposed to work?

Another method, though I'm really going out to left field here, is to set up a Bluetooth Personal Area Network (PAN) and use the file transfer service from your computer to Pocket PC. But that's a really far-fetched method as opposed to the standard ActiveSync method.

This is an option I had not thought of but is mostly a moot point since that rx1955 doesn't have BlueTooth capabilities (at least not built in).

Thanks for all of the help and hopefully I can get up to speed quick enough so that I can start answering more questions than I ask! :lol:

Nurhisham Hussein
12-27-2005, 01:40 AM
Yes it's supposed to work like that - that's what it means in Activesync for file sync. However, the only files that are synced are in the My documents folder on your PDA, which limits its usefullness. You should be able to just explore, which means you still have a problem somewhere.

friedshrimp
12-27-2005, 01:47 AM
What is the connection method used for exploring then? I should be able to explore via ActiveSync or I should be able to explore if I connect them together via a wireless network (such as file sharing between computers). I still do not have drag-n-drop capability via ActiveSync. Sorry if this is confusing, it is to me too. I guess since it's Windows, I feel I should know this stuff but's really a new O/S. Thanks!

Nurhisham Hussein
12-27-2005, 02:01 AM
I still do not have drag-n-drop capability via ActiveSync.

That's the problem - you should be able to. Have you tried soft resetting as Darius suggested?

I guess since it's Windows, I feel I should know this stuff but's really a new O/S. Thanks!

Yup, that's what confuses a lot of people - despite the Windows branding, they are two completely different OSs.

friedshrimp
12-27-2005, 02:14 AM
Yes. Have soft reset via icon due to several software upgrades. Also soft reset once via hole on left side of 1955 (found out that's what that spot was for after I stuck my stylus in there. Book says soft reset button was on bottom on PDA, guess it depends which way you hold it). Also have popped battery out a couple of times due to lock up (before i found soft reset button). No change. Sorry for not mentioning that before.

Nurhisham Hussein
12-27-2005, 02:25 AM
The 1955 has wifi, right? You could use the same method as Darius suggested for bluetooth - create a wifi network connection with your PC. Unfortunately this is largely one way. You'll need to create, or use an existing folder on your PC, share it, and put all the apps and files you want to grab in there. But this would be pretty cumbersome compared to just syncing and exploring (wifi sync has been disabled under AS 4.x)

friedshrimp
12-27-2005, 02:32 AM
Just completed some more testing. Drag-n-drop "does" work from the 1955 to the laptop (just like any 2 computers sharing info). Drag-n-drop does *not* work from the laptop to the 1955 without going to the My Documents folder and then letting ActiveSync send it over.

Darius Wey
12-27-2005, 03:27 AM
Yes. Have soft reset via icon due to several software upgrades. Also soft reset once via hole on left side of 1955 (found out that's what that spot was for after I stuck my stylus in there. Book says soft reset button was on bottom on PDA, guess it depends which way you hold it). Also have popped battery out a couple of times due to lock up (before i found soft reset button). No change. Sorry for not mentioning that before.

One other thing you could try is deleting your existing partnership and starting over. If that fails, I can't think of much else apart from a hard-reset. :|

At least File Sync is working for you.

friedshrimp
12-27-2005, 06:34 PM
I'l give that a try tonight. Actually spent most of Christmas installing software so don't really want to go the hard reboot route. Anyway, not much ROM on a 1955 and the SD chip I can insert into my desktop, fill it, and then put it back in the 1955, so I'm really good to go in a round about way. Thanks for all the help and I'll keep y'all posted.

friedshrimp
12-29-2005, 01:56 AM
Tried deleting the partnership tonight. I noticed when re-partnering (?) the 1955 to my laptop, it came up and said (about time I read these notes) that and files you want to move to the 1955 must be put in a folder it creates on the Desktop named WM_User1 My Documents and it mirrors the folders on the My Documents on the 1955. So maybe this is the only way to get files to the 1955 via ActiveSync v4.1. Either way it works and as for my SD chip (proud parent of a SanDisk 1 GB chip) I copy my mp3s directly to it from the chip reader on my desktop, then stick it into the 1955. Enough time spent on this and thanks for all the help guys/gals. :D