View Full Version : req: media center

lordnacho
12-22-2005, 10:15 PM
I bought an old school Viewsonic Airpanel(800x600 res) off ebay

Is there any media center type app out there at this resolution, might be asking for a lot, but I'd like it for viewing pics/movies/weather/email/rss feeds/etc. Something open source would rock.

If not, I'll start on some VB for it, but didn't want to recreate the wheel

Guest979
12-22-2005, 11:41 PM
Disclaimer: I have no idea what that ViewSonic thingy is.

But... on every computing device I've ever owned, the media player had little or nothing to do with resolution... usually it's just a matter of converting the picture or movie to the resolution you want. So I'm a bit confused about the question...

GSmith
12-23-2005, 12:01 AM
I'm not sure which Airpanel you have. Looks like the Viewsonic Airpanel V210 is 800x600 and supports Windows CE 4.2. I can't tell if it actually supports the .NET Compact Framework. If the Viewpanel does support the Compact Framework, you may be able to use FeederReader on it. FeederReader will download text, audio, video, and podcasts (from RSS feeds). It will also launch any installed player for audio and video.

I looked at http://www.viewsonic.com/pdf/DevTools_User%20Guide_05-01-03.pdf a little and saw that it doesn't say that the V210 supports the Compact Framework, but I think there is an example that uses C# (which requires the Compact Framework). Their example also suggests using a special Viewsonic DLL, but I can't tell if this is actually required for functionality.

FeederReader might be worth a try before you roll your own. You might have display problems due to an assumption within FeederReader on a 240x320 or 480x640 (each one either landscape or portrait). Let me know how it goes!

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - Pocket PC *RSS* text, audio, video, podcasts
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

lordnacho
12-23-2005, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the info.
I bought the old v100, which runs win ce 4.1. Hopefully can run the .net compact framework.
I haven't had too much time to play with it with all of the holiday shopping, and need a wifi card before I start anything worthwhile.