View Full Version : Another DRM threads, sucks big time!

sapibobo
12-21-2005, 11:49 AM
I just have a bad experience with Windows Media Player 10 Desktop.

Well i kinda get used to sync everything with WMP10 to my paralyse WMP10 Mobile. The end format file is WMA.
I have some old music files (from Sarah Brightman's album) which i sync'ed with WMP10 to my PPC. Later i decide listening the songs with my PPC.

Well i chose all music but WMP10 didnt recognize the Brightman's track. Later i found that the file reside at Music/Artist/Album folder in My SD Card. I tried to play directly from File Explorer at PPC and suddenly an error message pop out saying "Cannot play the file because the license is not valid or is corrupted". I tried TCPMP with no success.

What the hell is happening? I cannot listen to my own songs???? The track plays at the desktop nicely but i cannot transfer it anywhere. Now i have to search the CD, i have lost it (probably at my friends).

Any help would be very appreciated. Sorry if this has been discussed before.

Sven Johannsen
12-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Syncing a DRM'd song with MP10 on the desktop, to a PPC with MP10 should transfer the license. You cannot subsequently move the song from where it was copied though, or delete the license file, which is on the PPC, and have it play.

If you ripped this from a CD, there is no reason the song should be DRM'd though (unless maybe it is one of those nasty Sony things). You can actually turn DRM on and off for ripping in MP on the desktop. I think the default is on. It doesn't turn off DRM the CD company assigns, but it will add DRM to things you rip, if it is on.

In MP10 it's in Tools, on the Rip Music tab. Says 'Copy protect Music". Un-check it.

Guest979
12-21-2005, 07:21 PM
I'm a Mac user, so I can't investigate this thoroughly, but I also have seen evidence that the Windows version of WMP sometimes adds DRM to files you rip from a CD yourself. I don't know if this is definitely true, but I'm pretty sure I hate WMP, regardless. :)

I hope I don't get tomatoes thrown at me here if I suggest iTunes - there is a Windows version, after all, and it works pretty well as a song ripper. It's also great for managing podcasts and other tasks, but don't use the iTMS if you want to play the songs on a PocketPC.