View Full Version : iPaq H3100

Dweller
12-20-2005, 06:39 PM
So, I've got an ancient monochrome Ipaq, and a very damaged keyboard (various keys don't work, etc) which got damaged from school.

Any pocket PC under $100 that is at least 12-bit color and has 32 MB of RAM that is new available on the market?

If the H3600-H3800 were still for sale I'd definately consider those and get myself a new keyboard for it (the input would be the same). But perhaps I can find one of those on e-bay and get myself a new keyboard online or something.

The H3100 is in quite good condition though, it still holds a fair charge, syncronizes and charges OK, everything is functioning, it was upgraded to PPC2002, there is a slight opening near the charger though whereas dust can settle in. The stylus lock is broken, and the only stylus I have left had it's rubber tip worn off. I've found another stylus recently, but I pocketed it, it went through the wash, and I lost it. :/ The screen is fine, I use a screen protector for it, the infrared works as far as I know, and all the buttons work fine. Reset button works fine, original cradle, manual, and the CD for Pocket PC 2002 upgrade (original) are in my posession. The backlight works as well. Maybe I'd sell this one day since it's in decent condition.

EDIT: Well, I could always just refurbish the parts by getting a new stylus lock, joypad w/out speaker, back cover shell, and the front bezel assembly and perhaps get a few new stylus. Maybe even get a new keyboard, and reapply a new screen protector.

Janak Parekh
12-21-2005, 02:52 AM
Any pocket PC under $100 that is at least 12-bit color and has 32 MB of RAM that is new available on the market?
You mean, available as a new product? No, no Pocket PC has hit the < $100 price point. The one Palm that has has a very poor color display (in my opinion). If you need to target that price point, eBay or some liquidation site would be your best bet.

Re keeping the 3100: the one downside to this approach is that fewer applications support Pocket PC 2000, and on a grayscale unit at that. Best of luck in figuring out what you want to do.

--janak

Dweller
12-21-2005, 03:00 AM
I suppose e-bay is my best option then.

Regarding the Pocket PC 2000 thing, I upgraded it to PPC2002 so quite a decent amount of apps still run today.

Eh, well, in a year or two PPC2002 will be essentially liquidated, and WM2003 will be old. WM5 will prevail...

Cybrid
12-21-2005, 10:46 PM
I suppose e-bay is my best option then.

Regarding the Pocket PC 2000 thing, I upgraded it to PPC2002 so quite a decent amount of apps still run today.

Eh, well, in a year or two PPC2002 will be essentially liquidated, and WM2003 will be old. WM5 will prevail...I just bought 3 HP 3630 series on eBay all <100. If price is the primary factor then eBay is the best bet....
I can sell you this on for exactly what I paid for it.....minus PCMCIA sleeve. I'll trade that for a CF sleeve. The PCMCIA sleeve has a bad battery.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5832942317&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

Janak Parekh
12-21-2005, 11:50 PM
D'oh! I forgot the 3100 had a 2002 upgrade. :oops: Still, the lesser memory and B&W screen make it impractical for some uses.

--janak

Dweller
12-22-2005, 12:34 AM
I would, but sadly I do not have a CF sleeve.

Where's the buy-it-now option? It says

If you use the BUY IT NOW option, I will ship for free.

but I do not see a 'Buy it now' option.

And the

"Compaq now offers a superior new Compaq iPAQ Pocket PC"

part cracks me up. "superior new" iPaq? Pfft, yea, maybe to my H3100 because of color, but nothing else. :P

But there's still a chance of me getting an iPaq RX3115 for my birthday or Christmas perhaps, along with a Bluetooth or perhaps Infrared (because it's cheaper) keyboard. My brother has an RX3115, along with an infrared keyboard. It is much, much better than my crappy H3100 and its near-destroyed keyboard.

Eh, well, I've found another good buy, an H3835. I did a google search and concluded that the H387x models have Bluetooth, but I could live without it (unless someone convinces me to keep it for some odd reason, however I did not find any bluetooth models with the Buy It Now option under $150).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Compaq-iPAQ-Pocket-PC-H3835-Like-New_W0QQitemZ5845247495QQcategoryZ38331QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's relatively cheap, has PPC2002, a case, and I can just apply a screen protector when/if I receive it. The keyboard I could care less about, it barely works anyway. I can just use the on-screen keyboard to 'type' notes. It's got 64 MB RAM and has 16-bit color, so I think it's a good buy, certainly cheaper than the RX3115. I could probably get a 128MB SD card for cheap too to slap a few songs and Age of Empires for Pocket PC on there.

Cybrid
12-22-2005, 08:44 PM
I would, but sadly I do not have a CF sleeve.

Where's the buy-it-now option? It says

If you use the BUY IT NOW option, I will ship for free.

but I do not see a 'Buy it now' option.

And the

"Compaq now offers a superior new Compaq iPAQ Pocket PC"

part cracks me up. "superior new" iPaq? Pfft, yea, maybe to my H3100 because of color, but nothing else. :P

But there's still a chance of me getting an iPaq RX3115 for my birthday or Christmas perhaps, along with a Bluetooth or perhaps Infrared (because it's cheaper) keyboard. My brother has an RX3115, along with an infrared keyboard. It is much, much better than my crappy H3100 and its near-destroyed keyboard.

Eh, well, I've found another good buy, an H3835. I did a google search and concluded that the H387x models have Bluetooth, but I could live without it (unless someone convinces me to keep it for some odd reason, however I did not find any bluetooth models with the Buy It Now option under $150).

http://cgi.ebay.com/Compaq-iPAQ-Pocket-PC-H3835-Like-New_W0QQitemZ5845247495QQcategoryZ38331QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's relatively cheap, has PPC2002, a case, and I can just apply a screen protector when/if I receive it. The keyboard I could care less about, it barely works anyway. I can just use the on-screen keyboard to 'type' notes. It's got 64 MB RAM and has 16-bit color, so I think it's a good buy, certainly cheaper than the RX3115. I could probably get a 128MB SD card for cheap too to slap a few songs and Age of Empires for Pocket PC on there.
I think you misunderstood me, that auction was by someone else. I bought it for temporary testing purposes. The sleeve that came with it has a bad battery...I have a spare CF sleeve I'd include instead. But overall, the 38xx series would get you more up to date if you get one. Good luck.