View Full Version : Can you recommend a good case for a PDA2k?

martin_ayton
12-19-2005, 11:00 AM
I referred to myself as 'Mr. Butterfingers' in a thread a few months back... well, I finally found the drop that my Xda2s couldn't survive: off the windowsill onto a wooden floor :oops: . The screen has died. Interestingly, the touch sensitive part still works - which is good otherwise the alarms would have driven me nuts - but the display is lifeless.

The good news is that the insurance premium I pay each month was worth it and a brand new unit should be in my hands tomorrow :clap: . Thank God for Sprite backup...

I currently have a Kruessel case for the Xda2s, but trying to tap the screen through the Kruessel's clear, plastic cover is pretty much a non-starter so the Xda2s spends at least as much time out of the case as it does in it, which rather defeats the point (it wasn't in the case when it took that final dive). The Kruessel also has a zip closure at the bottom, which is not the best of design features: I have clipped the thing to my belt on more than one occasion only to have the Xda fall out a few moments later because I hadn't done the zip up.

So, I would appreciate your recommendations for a case which will
- protect my Xda2s / Blue Angel / PDA2k from knocks and falls,
- stop the SD card popping out on impact,
- allow the thing to be used without my having to remove it from the case on each occasion and
-hopefully provide a useful alternative holder for the stylus.

TIA!

Martin.

Darius Wey
12-19-2005, 12:45 PM
- protect my Xda2s / Blue Angel / PDA2k from knocks and falls,

Any good leather case should protect from the odd bump or two. Sena Cases offers a good selection - it just comes down to which of the two designs you prefer:

http://www.senacases.com/catalog/PDA-2K-CASES-p-1-c-336.html
http://www.senacases.com/catalog/PDA-2K-Lateral-Pouch-p-1-c-356.html

- stop the SD card popping out on impact,

Given the adequate protection these cases provide, they should help minimise SD card "poppage". However, a lot of it comes down to how your device lands on the ground.

- allow the thing to be used without my having to remove it from the case on each occasion and

Okay, scrap the latter of the two links I provided earlier. This one seems to fit your needs:

http://www.senacases.com/catalog/PDA-2K-CASES-p-1-c-336.html

-hopefully provide a useful alternative holder for the stylus.

Not many cases offer this, but I'm guessing it's not a do-or-die feature.

martin_ayton
12-19-2005, 01:34 PM
Thanks Darius. The latter case does look more useable, but I'm concerned about the lack of protection it appears to provide to the corners and sides of the PDA. I really am pretty hard on these things and it was an impact on a bottom corner of my current device which finally did for it. The other style looks more protective, but less useable. I may be asking for the impossible here. You were right, the stylus holder is not a 'do-or-die' feature; I just remember a case which does that being mentioned here very recently. Time to take a closer look at some of the recent posts to see if I can turn that one up again. Thanks again.

<Edit> The case was mentioned by Raphael143 in this thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44825). Those Piel Frama cases look nice :drool: .

Darius Wey
12-19-2005, 04:58 PM
Thanks Darius. The latter case does look more useable, but I'm concerned about the lack of protection it appears to provide to the corners and sides of the PDA. I really am pretty hard on these things and it was an impact on a bottom corner of my current device which finally did for it.

Unfortunately, that is the compromise that exists with slide-out Pocket PC Phone Edition devices. Protection on the sides tends to be a bit lacking as far as in-case use is concerned.

Those Piel Frama cases look nice :drool: .

Yeah, Piel Frama makes great cases. They're worth checking out too.

pocketpcadmirer
12-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Well..considering that u dont use much keyboard it would recommend you to go in for a metal case..I have just bought one for my mini for $15 and its simply awesome..it provides great protection and your devise looks more nice too

:google: for xda o2s metal cases

Sunny

martin_ayton
12-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Sunny,

I looked at some metal cases, but I got hooked by the Piel Frama two-tone one. If it doesn'/t work out as I would like, I'll take another look at the metal. It's good to hear that you have good experience with them.

Merry Christmas!

Martin.

pocketpcadmirer
12-21-2005, 08:13 AM
Merry christmas to u too mate !!

Atleast do try the metal cases in person..I'm sure you will throw any case ur PDA have on and would immediatley buy the metal case(symbol of ppc-geekism !!)

Sunny :lol:

pocketpcadmirer
12-27-2005, 06:58 PM
****update****

Just checked rhino skin range..awesome range !!
Check out their metal case..it gives great protection for your O2s

Sunny

martin_ayton
12-28-2005, 12:10 AM
I'll go check it out. Thanks. Currently loving the Piel Frama case (as much as you can love an inanimate piece of two-tone leather).