View Full Version : today screen apps

enaime
12-19-2005, 01:48 AM
I am looking for a today screen app that can work doing similar things as my battery pack does, but take up less resources. I like to run my pda lean and seems like so many of these new today screen apps eat up too much of the ram on ppc. Any ideas??

thanks in advance.

Patrick Y.
12-19-2005, 02:46 AM
Can you be more specific about the features of battery pack you want to keep? In my opinion, launcher and BatMemTime (both free) are the test replacement for system monitor and program launcher. I believe both of them takes up less than 100KB.

enaime
12-19-2005, 03:18 AM
sorry, it was a bit vague. what i like is having the ability to shortcut programs right on the today screen. Also the meters that show battery, memory of SD card, screen brightness control, soft reset and power control by the touch of the screen. Its very handy and easy to use.

Also with my new device it would be nice to have the ability to use large icons for single hand control by touching the screen with my fingers. Its a PDA phone so thats the reason for that.

Hope that helps your response.

again thanks.

Nurhisham Hussein
12-19-2005, 04:47 AM
Problem is that those very functions you mention - battery and memory tracking - are the ones that really eat resources. While you can get smaller and more efficient apps to do the same job, those will still take away system resources continuosly. For program launchers, there's quite a few freeware ones - do a search in www.pocketpcfreewares.com

Patrick Y.
12-19-2005, 05:01 AM
The only programs I can think of that doesn't eat up too much resources are launcher and BatMemTime. Nice apps.

Guest979
12-19-2005, 07:40 AM
I don't know if it does everything you ask, but SBSH PocketBreeze is free from Handango this week (you have to download and install InHand, but it's not as bad as it sounds). From my brief experience so far, PocketBreeze appears to be the "Swiss-Army Knife" of the today screen, giving you the ability to add almost anything you can think of.

juni
12-19-2005, 08:39 AM
For what you asked for it seems like SBSH iLauncher is the program for you. Pocket Plus is another one, but it does a lot more than you need.

Nurhisham Hussein
12-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Yes, Pocket Breeze is pretty comprehensive - it's also a big resource hog, even more so with the new version 5. Hopefully that will change as they get some of the bugs out, but its the number 1 thing slowing down my PDA right now.

enaime
12-19-2005, 10:50 AM
how can i find out how much ram a program is eating, besides the old way. i dont feel like installing and uninstalling every program. unless its the only way.

seems like iLauncher is a popular pick for a resource sparing app.

Patrick Y.
12-20-2005, 12:26 AM
You can monitor the RAM each program uses with MemMaid, PHM taskmanger, or iTaskMrg.

I'm not sure, but doesn't the icons for iLauncher take up lots of memory?

Nurhisham Hussein
12-20-2005, 01:19 AM
You're right Patrick - but I think any launcher will do the same. I'd actually recommend cLaunch, if you're not to worried about frills and you don't need VGA compatibility:

http://pachome1.pacific.net.sg/~welic/claunch.html

For battery life, I'd recommend AE Uptime, it's really light on resources as its purely text based:

http://ae.inc.ru/uptime.php

Patrick Y.
12-20-2005, 01:50 AM
While Laucher has less features, it takes far less space to run than cLaunch. Also, laucher looks nice on VGA device.

rawb
12-20-2005, 04:02 AM
Wow, claunch looks great. But has anyone tried it on a WM5.0 device? I read there are uninstall problems and I'm hesitant to try this out on my Qtek 9100 right now.

Thanks!

pocketpcadmirer
12-20-2005, 05:42 PM
Well, if you want to shell out some money, you should go in for iLauncher..it nice and offeres plethora of features and customability.

Sunny