View Full Version : Ipaq 2795 Hard Reset

IanthePez
12-18-2005, 05:10 AM
I bought a 2795 a few weeks ago, and love it, but after loading a bunch of crap on it, I would like to hard reset it. I have tried to usual button combinations, and I thought it worked, but my stuff is still there? Is this the new WM5 memory thing kicking in? If so, how do I erase everything and start over? If not, can anyone tell me the correct key combination, I can't find it anywhere! thanks

heov
12-18-2005, 06:19 AM
I believe it's power, contacts, mail together with the reset button.

or you can configure hp security to hard reset after a certain amount of attempts, and keep getting them wrong

IanthePez
12-18-2005, 04:13 PM
Thank you much, it was contacts and mail. Those were not easy to hit by myself, heh. Thanks for the help.

Edit: Well, i thought it was working. It had a new reset screen and said Eboot on it, so I figured it was working, but my stuff is STILL there, I just can't get rid of it all.

haesslich
12-18-2005, 05:10 PM
It's actually Power, Calendar and iTask which have to be all held down at the same time, IIRC, before you press the reset button. Then let go of the top three buttons as soon as you see it resetting, then let go of the reset button. After that, a soft reset should start you up into the Windows Mobile 5 configuration screen.

I'm not so sure if you need to hold down the Power button though - try just the first two, and see if WM5 gets you to the configuration screen.

heov
12-18-2005, 05:58 PM
i've tried calender and itask (w/ no power), and i heard the little "beep" that ppl are reffering too, and to turn it back on, i have to soft reset it... all like it said i'd have to, but my data was also still there.

so then i just configured HP Protect Tools to a pin and stuff (took liek 3min to go through that setup), then set it to that after say 5 attempts, erase all data, and i did that, purposely getting htem wrong so it woudl reset, and it worked.

then i read it was power and a combination of osme buttons, but i've never tried those. it would be nice to get a solid combination that has worked for someone, so please post if you ever get the combination to work.

heov
12-18-2005, 11:16 PM
ok i did a hard reset on my hx2495 just right now. this is what worked.

Power + Calander (button 1) + Mail (button3) and then tap the soft reset, and it was off for liek 2 seconds, then it came back on, and then i released the three buttons, and it hard reset.

The power button may not be neccesary, but i had it down while i was doing it anyway.

Hope that helps.

Guest979
12-21-2005, 11:42 PM
I had trouble trying to do a hard reset on my 1940 as well, partially just because I ran out of fingers. :)

I was going to suggest [url=http://www.freewareppc.com/utilities/hardresetforpocketpc.shtml]this[url], but apparently you solved the problem, and I haven't tested the linked software. Still, if your *goal* is to destroy everything, what's the worst that could happen from trying it? :)

masaki
01-05-2006, 05:18 PM
I had to hard reset an rx1955 this morning and maybe I didn't do the above instructions correctly... it refused to hard reset after 10+ tries. I ended up kept on pressing all the buttons together repeatedly while poking the reset hole repeatedly...then it died. it refused to switch on LOL. I took the battery out for about a minute then put it back in, still didn't switch on. I took the battery out and tried it after about 5mins and plugged the power in and it came back to life. It was hard reset.

I tried the hard reset code in my program on it but had no effect at all.

clbsvi
01-07-2006, 02:05 AM
In several related forums recently, I have suggested the use of PocketToolman by Clarence Chau. This was formerly available from shaw.ca. I originally got it as a freeware download and have ported it forward to three IPAQs, previously a 2185, then a 3765, and now installed very successfully on a new hx2495. If you can't find the application and IF the copyright owner does't object, I can send it to you on request on a floppy disc if you send me a floppy and postage. A better approach would be to chase the application down on the Internet using the excellent Google search engine. Good Luck.

asims
03-22-2007, 04:03 PM
clbsvi, the freeware version of PocketToolman is still available. I just downloaded it and used it. However, the Hard Reset isn't erasing everything. The first thing I had to do before hard resetting is create a password which I did. I then chose Hard Reset, PT took me through the three screens, then reset like a soft reset with one exception - my date/time went back to 5/2005 12:00. I thought all programs that were not a part of the ppc at the beginning would be removed. Is there something I'm missing? I have an IPAQ hx2495 that I'm using this on.
Thanks for your help!

clbsvi
03-22-2007, 09:34 PM
I suggest PocketToolman by Clarence Chau, currently available from Handango.com for $2.99 US. See my old post at the bottom of this same topic for possible shortcomings. One other possible way would be to Hard Reset and then reload the oruginal software into the PPC from the manufacturer's CD. Essential software can be save first on an SD or Compact Flash memory card if you don't want to reload everything.