View Full Version : Can I playback iPod videos on my PPC?

Duddy
12-18-2005, 04:25 AM
I would like to know if I can.

Guest979
12-18-2005, 10:45 PM
Assuming you mean the ones purchased from the iTunes Music Store, it is not possible.

These files have DRM, and removing this DRM is currently impossible, and probably also illegal.

Duddy
12-19-2005, 02:53 AM
No, some people have converted some videos into H.264 format for play on the new iPod. These do not have the DRM in them.

Guest979
12-19-2005, 07:30 AM
No, some people have converted some videos into H.264 format for play on the new iPod. These do not have the DRM in them.

Sorry, but I don't see your point. Videos from general sources can usually be converted to many formats, including iPod- and PocketPC- compatible ones. So what does "iPod Videos" mean, if not videos from the iTunes Music Store? If you are not talking about iTMS, then your question is basically just, "Can I play videos on a PocketPC?" - well of course you can, in most cases.

I stand by my assertion that iTunes Music Store videos have DRM, and that it is probably illegal to remove that DRM, even if there were software to do it (like there is for protected AACs).

Duddy
12-19-2005, 07:51 AM
There are some videos on certain sites that are formated for the iPod. Most are .mp4 but some just say H.264 in their description. I know I can play .mp4's using BetaPLayer and the AAC Plugin. I just want to know if I can play the H.264 ones.

Don't Panic!
12-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Get betaplayers replacement TCPMP for H.264 support. Got a link to a video? I'll test it for you,

GSmith
12-19-2005, 09:27 PM
I watch this area very closely. I have posted the latest development a few days ago here: http://feederreader.pocketcasting.com/viewtopic.php?t=295

Many "iPod videos" are video encoded H.264 and audio encoded AAC. The only application that I am aware of that plays H.264 is TCPMP. To also get AAC playback, you need the unofficial AAC plugin for TCPMP. The latest test version of TCPMP (0.71b) seems to greatly improve H.264 decoding speed making the video I tried (from diggnation) playable.

I'm always on the FeederReader Forums and because *my* product in part depends on this capability, I'm very interested in all developments in this area.

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - Pocket PC *direct* RSS text, audio, video, podcasts
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

Duddy
12-20-2005, 02:48 AM
I'll install the AAC plugin tonight and see if it works.

Scarpad
12-22-2005, 04:45 PM
Anyone try the new Core player with AVC support on an X30 H?

Duddy
12-31-2005, 08:43 AM
I finally got to trying the H.264 video on TCPMP w/ the AAC plugin and it worked prefectly. :D