View Full Version : WM5.0 Upgrade for Hx2410

JNeail
12-17-2005, 01:11 AM
:evil: Has anyone got this to work with activesync 4.1 USB or anything?

MarcFou
12-17-2005, 01:46 AM
I upgraded my hx2415. I dont think there is much difference between them. The same HP issued ROM is used to upgrade both units.

Anyway. What sort of problems are you running into?

JNeail
12-17-2005, 09:51 AM
8O Sorry, I missed my problem list:

1.Twice as slow as before
2.Freezes several times a day especially when you try to establish a Sync via BT/USB/IrDA
3.Using the reset button the bottom often leaves the device in a permanent reset loop with the only recovery being a hard-reset!
4.I have never since the upgrade managed a USB connection since (can't even downgrade back to WM2003SE as device can't be detected
5. If I manage a BT Or IrDA sync the a NEW partnership if created evey time.
6. My iPaq get renamed when I sync to various names startind WM_xxxxx_xx
7. I get a new 'Sync' files folder on my desktop
8. BT sync has stopped altogether
9. IrDA sync VERY slow!! Slower than Activesync 3.8 an WM2003SE.
10. I 'can' sync via WiFi against my Exchange 2003 SP2 server but I don't want to do that for all items only eMail and anyway I can't sync files or media via WiFi

I've reinstalled Activesync 4.1 till i'm blue in the face as well as Office 2003 SP2, I also had a HDD failure on my Laptop so I've a fresh Win XP SP2 install also. Hey I've i've re-flashed WM5.0 from a friends laptop to make sure the original flash wasn't a problem.

HP support insist it a problem with the cradle.. So how did I us it before then? I've tried using my 3rd party Sync&Charge cable.. no change :cry:

So any advice - help much appreciated!

PS: Several posts like mine on HP's support forum so I know it's not just me

Regards

Jay

MarcFou
12-17-2005, 10:23 AM
You've got more problems than I can shake a stick at. My apologies first and foremost.

On the downgrade issue. If you can connect on a friends PC to reload the ROM then your in a position to install the Wm2003 SE rom thats included with the upgrade.

Assuming you pass on that option...
I would first start by uninstalling ActiveSync 4.1 and all traces of it.

Revert back to ActiveSync 4.0, the version thats included with the upgrade.

Soft reset your device (if you can without it locking up etc. as you mentioned)

Connect the device via USB and let Windows detect the hardware and ActiveSync should detect it soon after.

The device name "WM_xxxxx_xx" in ActiveSync is due to your handheld unit needing a soft reset after changing the device ID.

Many of the other issues are either performance related or 3rd party software. Lets get your PC side where it needs to be then we can deal with the device issues 1 by 1.

JNeail
12-18-2005, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the advice; so today I followed it:

1. Uninstalled Activesync 4.1
2. Rebooted PC
3. Installed Activesync 4.0 (from the HP upgrade software)
4. Reboobted PC
5. Reset iPaq (Didn't get hit by the reset-loop nightmare :lol: )
6. Dropped the iPaq in the in the cradle
7. PC detected and strarted to connect to the iPaq. The Activesync window popped up and said it was connecting and it had magically got an new name WM_Jaime_Neail?
8. Then that's as far as I got.. Activesync just said 'Connecting' must have been stuck thee for 20 mins befroe I gave up
9. Removed iPaq from cradle and Activesync correctly said 'Not Connected'
10. Device Manager still shows ''Windows Based-Mobile Device'' connected (under network adapters).

Now I can't remove this false adapter even after reboot. And you guessed it I cannot get a USB connection again! .. That was an almost close sitation :wink:

Not having much luck am I?

With regards to my friends PC, I tried earlier in desperation to 'Downgrade' as I did re-flash it via his PC as I previously mentioned. Guess what.. Yeah, I couldn't get it to connect :devilboy:

Any other suggestions?

Aprreciate your help

Regards

Jaime

MarcFou
12-18-2005, 10:27 PM
As i was reading your post I thought for a minute that everything worked out alright. Well, lets take a closer look at the problem. Your iPaq was detected and ActiveSync acknowledged it. Its also seen on another PC but still... No connection.

I am tempted to say that there may be a setting or application on your iPaq that is interfering with the connection process.

Have you changed any of the settings on your iPaq regarding: Network connections, ActiveSync etc.?

Also, when you connect via USB do you have WiFi or Bluetooth enabled?

The fact that Device manager is still showing the iPaq even when disconnected may be a problem. I'll have to do some asking around to find out more info on that.

JNeail
12-18-2005, 11:03 PM
Wow that was quick :D

Erm, I've tried bothways, all on or all off BT & WiFi that is. Either way if WiFi is active and connected to my home LAN, it's dropped when it's docked. ActiveSync 3.8 allowed this to stay active which was nice.

The only apps I have loaded are all supposed to be WM5 compatible and are as follows:

1. TomTom Navigator 5.210 (latest version claims to be WM5.0) - A real registered copy not pirate a well
2. PocketTV version 1.1.11 (apparently WM5.0 compatible)

And that's it!

Both apps are loaded on to my Kingston 512MB SD card (i.e. not in PS as by default due to the high number of hard resets recently and the limited number of actual connections via USB causing software installation to be at a premium so on Flash Mem for safety) along with a selection of MP3 and pictures etc. I have a 256MB CF Card again stuffed with documents and MP3s not much else.

I've changed none of the default network or Activesync connections as far as I'm aware?

Not sure if this helps? :?

Regards

Jaime

MarcFou
12-18-2005, 11:19 PM
Try this...

Reboot your PC. Then on your iPaq goto..
Start, Settings, System Tab - Memory, Running programs and tap on "Stop All".

Dont soft reset.

Try syncing again and see if that helps. I'm still thumbing through my resources and checking out other forums trying to find a solution.

JNeail
12-20-2005, 12:13 AM
Hi ... No different, :(

F.Y.I. Unistalled ActiveSync 4.0 and installed ActiveSync 3.8 :?: . Obviously I couldn't sync as not compatible, however... Each time I drop the iPaq into the cradle and take it out, I get the hardware change chime and looking at the device manager, 'Windows Based-Mobile Device' pops up and dissappears as it should. With ActiveSynce 4.x this rarley happens if ever and then when it does ActiveSynce still won't connect..

I reckon there are still magor problems with the current build of ActiveSync 4.1 clearly the USB drives update can't be universally cmpatible with all PCs or something.. (mine is a Compay N610c Laptop).

regards

Jaime

MarcFou
12-20-2005, 02:21 AM
Your ActiveSync problems are extreme. On your PC do you have: Antivirus, Firewall or AntiSpyware applications installed? You many have already mentioned this - what OS are you using?

JNeail
12-21-2005, 12:53 AM
Hi

I'm running Windows XP (SP2) on my Compaq N610c Laptop (Pentium 4M 1.8GHz, 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD with 20GB Free), connected to Compaq/HP Docking station with the following other S/W load:

Norton Antivirus Corprate Edition Version: 7.60.926 (with latest definitions loaded)
Microsoft AntiSpyware Version: 1.0.701
Office 2003 Pro SP2
FrontPage 2003 SP2
VisioPro 2003 SP2
AutoRoute 2006
MSN Messenger 7.5
Adobe Reader 7.0 Free Version
Lotus Notes Release 5.0.12
WinZip 10.0 Registered Verison
Nokia PC Suite 6.5.12
Citrix Metaframe Client Version: 9.00.32649
DVD to Pocket PC Version 2.5.1
ActiveSync 4.1 (Now fully removed without replacement)

I'm using a Wireless Network at home connecting via a BT Voyager 1020 PCMCIA to a BT Voyager 2100 802.1b (11Mhz) LAN.

Periperals connected:

USB:
2x Belkin USB 1.1 4 Port Hubs (Dasiy chained of 1x free USB 2.0 conecter on Docking Station)
Logitech Quickcam Express - Webcam (via Belkin Hub)
MIS Bluetooth Adapter (MS BT Drivers) (via Belkin Hub)
1x CF Card Reader (via Belkin Hub)
1x SD Card Reader (via Belkin Hub)
External Sony CDRW (via Belkin Hub)
iPaq Cradle - Direct to USB 2.0 port on Laptop (not via Hub or D/Station)
Seagate External 160GB HDD - Direct to USB 2.0 port on Laptop (not via Hub or D/Station)

Other:
IOMEGA Zip100 Parallel Daisy chaining an Mono Epson EPL-5000 Laser Printer.

F.Y.I. I've tried disabling 'File system realtime protection' in the AV s/w and didn't notice any difference. :?

Regards

Jaime

MarcFou
12-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Well I dont see anything in that list that would create communication problems with your device.

I hate to say it but at this point the most help I can give you now, is moral support. You've tried everything I know and still not making any progress.

I'll keep searching and reading. If I come up with something I will post it here. In the mean time hopefully someone else can chime in here and offer some advise.

JNeail
12-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Ha Ha .. I always knew I was a problem child :wink:

Many thanks for your advice so far, much appreciated.. :D

As we've drawn a blank I'm really hoping now Santa will bring me a new PocketPC perhaps a new shiny K-Jam? :)

It was nice going through the motions, as it gave me a glimmer of hope and honestly still do have hope that this will get resolved soon.

Separately, I'm hoping my MS friends will come up trumps with the problems I've reported to them on ActiveSync! I'm not holding up much hope from HP support (despite the fact I work for one of Europe’s larges VARs for HP and should be able to tap in to some help) based on there silly suggestions to date that the cradle must be faulty and I need to return the whole (cradle and PPC) thing for a repair, that just made the chaps in the office laugh there heads off.. :evil:

Regards

Jaime

MarcFou
12-21-2005, 11:41 AM
I dont feel its the cradle either. It the cradle was faulty then you would think your PC and\or ActiveSync would never detect your device was connected.

I wonder if the problem could be related to the USB driver for the mobile device?