View Full Version : RSS + SMS = (Insanely Cool OR Insanely Annoying)

Ed Hansberry
12-15-2005, 10:00 PM
<a href="http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/1008706.html">http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook/1008706.html</a><br /><br /><i>"Yahoo! just enabled every blog and news service in the world to update 200 million American mobile consumers instantly. Every feed, from any source online is now a potential mobile alert service, instantly notifying readers, customers and users of any updates, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week anywhere they happen to be."</i><br /><br />Russell seems to be getting all tingly about this. I, on the other hand, am more inclined to post my valid email address in a newsgroup than subscribe to something like this. I like RSS as well as the next guy, but getting an SMS poke every time a blog is updated? Yes, please, send me an SMS from CNN's news feed at 2:14am to alert me that Gerald Ford was released from the hospital or that Time Warner may sell the Braves. :idontthinkso: Maybe it is because on my Pocket PC Phone I can get RSS feeds regardless of where I am. Still, even if I didn't, I can't envision subscribing to this service.

ricksfiona
12-15-2005, 11:27 PM
I agree. I'll pass on that...

Sven Johannsen
12-15-2005, 11:57 PM
Wonder if Yahoo gets a kickback, er uh, commission?, on every SMS sent via this service?

kcbigring
12-16-2005, 01:53 AM
I agree 100% and do not see why Russel is getting excited about this... for anyone interested in a mobile reader that syncronizes with NewsGator Online and doesn't want to mess w/ SMS alerts, please check out smartRead (http://smartfeed.org/2005/12/beta-testers-wanted.html). I am looking for some beta users.

-kevin, author smartFeed

Darius Wey
12-16-2005, 03:51 AM
Nah, zero excitement for me. For all the RSS feeds I'm subscribed to, I really cannot stomach the thought of receiving an SMS once every thirty seconds. :roll:

farnold
12-16-2005, 04:31 AM
Ah, c'mon, let's face it. It will give some meaning to all the poor people who define the quality of life by the amount of SMSs they get - and I define it by the smallest possible amount :lol:

juni
12-16-2005, 06:53 AM
I'm sure you can filter it to only send the stuff you want. We've had this service for a long time here from our cell phone service providers (at least when it comes to news).

freitasm
12-16-2005, 08:20 AM
Argghh. I have more than 500 feeds in my list. I can't imagine a single feed that would excite me to the point of having a SMS sent to my Pocket PC or Smartphone when a new item is posted. Please...

I agree 100% and do not see why Russel is getting excited about this... for anyone interested in a mobile reader that syncronizes with NewsGator Online and doesn't want to mess w/ SMS alerts, please check out smartRead (http://smartfeed.org/2005/12/beta-testers-wanted.html). I am looking for some beta users.
Kevin, will it work with Newsgator Enterprise? I am running NGES here and always on the lookout for some enhancements.

unxmully
12-16-2005, 11:27 AM
Sounds dumb to me. Apart from anything else, how much would I be charged for the privilege?

WorksForTurkeys
12-17-2005, 07:31 PM
A choice was not included in the poll:

"No, because SMS messaging is too expensive in the U.S. for using it indiscriminately to deliver RSS feeds."

My T-Mobile / Cingular (I suffer both) would bankrupt me if I used their text messaging to receive the feeds I subscribe to and read daily.

Janak Parekh
12-17-2005, 10:11 PM
Argghh. I have more than 500 feeds in my list.
8O Do you keep up with them every day? I've whittled myself down to 58 feeds, and I manage to get through them every single day, but not easily.

My T-Mobile / Cingular (I suffer both) would bankrupt me if I used their text messaging to receive the feeds I subscribe to and read daily.
Actually, T-Mobile does have an unlimited SMS plan for $15/month. ;)

--janak

WorksForTurkeys
12-19-2005, 12:56 AM
Actually, T-Mobile does have an unlimited SMS plan for $15/month. ;)

--janak

$40 for the cellular service, $20 for GPRS, and $15 for the SMS - I might as well go for the AMP'D $200/month service and get the on-demand music videos and the phone as a package-deal :lol:

Janak Parekh
12-19-2005, 03:08 AM
$40 for the cellular service, $20 for GPRS, and $15 for the SMS - I might as well go for the AMP'D $200/month service and get the on-demand music videos and the phone as a package-deal :lol:
Hah! It's worse for me right now. I have both Verizon and T-Mobile at the moment. With T-Mobile, I have a $19 voice plan, $29 for their "new" unlimited Internet (GPRS/EDGE + Hotspots + 300 SMS), and a SMS top (currently $4.99, but I may go to the unlimited). Then there's the Verizon plan. 8O

--janak