View Full Version : Digital camera buying advice

beq
12-15-2005, 07:59 PM
I've been considering two different digital camera purchases, for myself and some family/friends.

First decision is for the ultracompact/slim pocket digicam, which comes down to the Casio Exilim EX-S500 vs. the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T7 and new T9. The Pentax Optio S6 is also tempting for its diminutive size. Yes I know the Sony models use Memory Stick Duo (boo, hiss), but the other people don't already have an investment in SD format... I myself have been getting along with an old Kyocera Finecam SL400R pocket digicam.

After reading the news and reviews from www.dpreview.com, www.dcresource.com, www.imaging-resource.com, www.steves-digicams.com, etc, I think overall I prefer the Casio S500 over the Sony T7. But then the new Sony T9 offers optical image stabilizer which makes for a much tougher comparison...

Second decision is for getting the new Sony DSC-R1 hybrid, vs. getting a true D-SLR (I've been considering the Nikon D50 and Canon Digital Rebel XT, but I haven't really taken a look at others such as the Olympus EVOLT E-500 or the Konica Minolta). The Sony R1 reviews from the abovementioned web sites (and the NYTimes) are encouraging for me.

Jason Dunn
12-15-2005, 08:21 PM
My 2 cents: get the S500 (or the newer S600) and the Canon Digital Rebel XT. Why? Because that's what I own (well, I own the first-gen Digital Rebel). :mrgreen:

beq
12-15-2005, 10:43 PM
Oh wow I didn't even know that there's already a Casio Exilim EX-S600 (and I just ordered the S500 yesterday night for someone else)! 8O Thanks for the info, I'll look into it.

I recently found out about Sony's new T9 myself (Sony says it should be available by Jan 20 next year, but I see online vendors already carrying it in stock).

As for D-SLRs, in the past I'd almost bought the Nikon D50 (since I like its touted features and the fact that it uses SD natively, plus it would be my first Nikon). But I'd decided to wait...

A photographer friend of mine uses the Canon Digital Rebel XT and it's great too. I figure I could always use an SD card in an adapter for these CF digicams (the Canon, the Sony R1, and most everything else).

But I'm now intrigued by the Sony R1 because I'm not a serious photographer and I imagine the R1's very versatile fixed lens would be enough for me (well, I do wish it has a much closer macro mode). In other words I don't see myself stocking up on many different interchangeable D-SLR lenses and carrying them around in a huge bag (like one of "those guys" hehe)...

Here's a list of cons I made for myself last week:Bad points of the Sony R1 (compared to D-SLRs) for me are:
- sucky continuous shooting capability (only 1 sec burst mode of 3 frames, then wait 4 - 8 secs)
- no movie capture
- macro mode no closer than 13 inches
- relatively slow media write speeds (especially with CF card)
- below average low-light AF
- below average JPEG image detail (with the in-camera processing)
- awkward topmount LCD layout
- pretty heavy
- no orientation sensor

I'm not a pro user so I think the R1's fixed 5x (24-120mm equivalent) lens should be all I'll need, except for a macro mode closer than 13 inches as mentioned above.

ntractv
12-16-2005, 12:06 AM
My 2 cents: get the S500 (or the newer S600) and the Canon Digital Rebel XT. Why? Because that's what I own (well, I own the first-gen Digital Rebel). :mrgreen:

Might I suggest the Canon 20D. I have the 10D, but, an upgrade didn't seem justifiable. Rebet XT is a nice choice as well. D50 is okay, but, I will admit I am biased in favor of Canon.

Jason Dunn
12-16-2005, 12:15 AM
Might I suggest the Canon 20D. I have the 10D, but, an upgrade didn't seem justifiable. Rebet XT is a nice choice as well. D50 is okay, but, I will admit I am biased in favor of Canon.

I'm looking at the 20D as well, though since I'm not buying until next year I'll probably be looking at the 30D when it comes out...if it's called that.

beq
12-16-2005, 12:33 AM
BTW thanks again for the tip. I just switched my Casio S500 (gray) order to the S600 (http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05102401casio_s600.asp) (silver), for about $50 more. Apparently the S600 is also already in stock at a few places.

Aside from the 6MP res (vs 5MP for the S500), the S600 can now also use its anti-shake DSP (electronic image stabilizer) for the MPEG-4 movie recording in addition to picture taking. Not as good as the optical kind like on the Sony T9, but I'll take any help I can get since I tend to have shaky hands (genetic condition or something) :)

BTW I was wondering... image stabilization also helps for nighttime picture taking (with slower shutter speeds to let in more light) -- is there also a benefit to nighttime video shooting?

Additionally the S600 supposedly has better battery life (300 vs. 200 shots) and twice brighter LCD screen.

Anyways here's my updated ultracompact comparison list of features important to me:Casio S500 benefits - just under $300
-------------------
- electronic stabilizer for photos (not video)
- MPEG-4 video codec takes less storage at high quality
- uses SD memory card (vs. Sony's Memory Stick Duo format)
- 5-sec past movie buffer
- 0.6 shot/second continuous burst mode

Sony T7 benefits - just over $300 (after $50 rebate during Dec 2005)
----------------
- super macro mode down to 1 cm (vs. 17 cm with Casio S500)
- 2.5" bright high-res LCD (vs. 2.2" low-res LCD with Casio)
- 1.3 shots/second burst mode for 9 shots (but not continuous)
- optional underwater case

Casio S600 benefits - just under $350
-------------------
* all features of the Casio S500
- electronic stabilizer for both photos and video
- 6 MP (vs. 5 MP)
- 300-shot battery life (vs. 200 shots with Casio S500)
- brighter LCD screen (twice the Casio S500)

Sony T9 benefits - $450
----------------
* all features of the Sony T7 (but also a bit thicker than the T7)
- optical stabilizer for both photos and video
- 6 MP (vs. 5 MP)
- 240-shot battery life (vs. 150 shots with Sony T7)

ntractv
12-16-2005, 12:46 AM

I'm looking at the 20D as well, though since I'm not buying until next year I'll probably be looking at the 30D when it comes out...if it's called that.

Have you taken a look at the Canon 5D (Swweeeett). More pricey than than the 20D, but, man. Of course, the flagship 1DS Mach II is the ultimate, but, my budget and skills do not warrant $8,000.

Jason Dunn
12-16-2005, 01:47 AM
Have you taken a look at the Canon 5D (Swweeeett). More pricey than than the 20D, but, man. Of course, the flagship 1DS Mach II is the ultimate, but, my budget and skills do not warrant $8,000.

Nah, the 5D is way more camera than I can handle, and I can't justify the price given that I don't make money as a photographer. Hell, I shoot in auto mode most of the time on the Rebel, so the 20D (or the next version of it) will be a step up for me already.

beq
12-16-2005, 06:21 AM
Perhaps after I use a "real" camera more, I can be more like you guys :D Another friend of mine only likes medium-format cameras...

As a nit-pick, I wish camera manufacturers would stop playing the megapixel numbers game. Over time they can put in incrementally larger megapixel sensors in the same size camera body, but I keep imagining the other improvements they can squeeze in instead if they forsake going to a higher-pixel sensor just for the sake of increasing it (on the assumption that the same-resolution sensor subsystem can be made smaller over time). Heck I could manage with just, say, 3-4 MP on an ultracompact.

A Casio Exilim like the S500/S600 that has an optical image stabilizer, super close macro mode, larger LCD, and faster burst mode (continuous), would be excellent even if it's a slightly lower megapixel model (as long as it produces good image quality)...

G M Fude
12-16-2005, 10:15 AM
As a nit-pick, I wish camera manufacturers would stop playing the megapixel numbers game
Unfortunately you're right, beq. Many manufacturers are just playing the game because it's what a large proportion of the public (think they) want. Never mind if the camera has a poor quality lens or the CCD is below average or the image processor uses shoddy algorithms... if the camera has lotsa megapixels it sounds good.