View Full Version : Installing software on Windows Mobile 5

Jason_Perryman
12-14-2005, 04:27 AM
How do you install applications into the Storage Memory as opposed to Main Memory on Windows Mobile 5?

I recently purchased a Dell Axim x51v to replace my x50v. On my x50v I had almost all the applications installed into the Storage Memory (as opposed to Main Memory) to allow me to run more applications and not have as many 'out of memory' errors.

However, when I load programs on my x51v the "Install Application to Default" location (which I assume to be Main Memory) is checked and grayed out in Active Sync 4.0 Add/Remove Programs. I'd rather not install applications into Main Memory unless I have to as I have a TON of applications that I use.

Am I overlooking something? Does the install process work differently in wm5? Thanks! Jason

Darius Wey
12-14-2005, 04:43 AM
How do you install applications into the Storage Memory as opposed to Main Memory on Windows Mobile 5?

You can't. There is no longer that option with Windows Mobile 5.0. The new OS uses "persistent storage" where RAM is now used for program execution, and flash ROM is used for data storage - unlike the previous model where RAM was used for both program execution and data storage (usually a 50:50 split) and flash ROM (also known as your Built-in Storage) was used as secondary storage.

I recently purchased a Dell Axim x51v to replace my x50v. On my x50v I had almost all the applications installed into the Storage Memory (as opposed to Main Memory) to allow me to run more applications and not have as many 'out of memory' errors.

So, the effect is similar. All your programs now reside in that storage memory.

Hope that helps. :)

Jason_Perryman
12-14-2005, 04:54 AM
OK, that is good to know. Thank you very much. I was worried that I was doing something wrong. It is going to take me a little time to get used to the changes in wm5. Jason