View Full Version : data tranfer

aamexas
12-14-2005, 12:26 AM
hi,

i have my jasjar conected over a 3g network in greece (cosmote), but i have this problem...

Sometimes and although all the programs are closed through an appl called spb pocket plus, the phone shows it is tranfering data...

is this normal or will i have to pay a huge phone bill at the end of the month? :devilboy:

Cybrid
12-14-2005, 10:24 AM
hi,

i have my jasjar conected over a 3g network in greece (cosmote), but i have this problem...

Sometimes and although all the programs are closed through an appl called spb pocket plus, the phone shows it is tranfering data...

is this normal or will i have to pay a huge phone bill at the end of the month? :devilboy:
I believe that cellphones periodically check for signal and inform cell towers of their location. These are very brief bursts of transmission. A blip......blip......blip.....Is that the type of behavior you have noticed?

Let's say you have a cell phone, you turn it on and someone tries to call you. Here is what happens to the call:
When you first power up the phone, it listens for an SID (see sidebar) on the control channel. The control channel is a special frequency that the phone and base station use to talk to one another about things like call set-up and channel changing. If the phone cannot find any control channels to listen to, it knows it is out of range and displays a "no service" message.
When it receives the SID, the phone compares it to the SID programmed into the phone. If the SIDs match, the phone knows that the cell it is communicating with is part of its home system.
Along with the SID, the phone also transmits a registration request, and the MTSO keeps track of your phone's location in a database -- this way, the MTSO knows which cell you are in when it wants to ring your phone.
http://travel.howstuffworks.com/cell-phone4.htm