View Full Version : soft reset? when?

oilisab
12-08-2005, 11:36 PM
How much time u guys use your ppc until you do a soft reset? Or you just dont soft reset it unless u are having problems.

One more thing, do you guys close the programs after you use them or let them run in teh background like the calc, ie, etC?
I usually close them using switcherbar after i finish using them.
WHat do u you guys think is better?.

Darius Wey
12-09-2005, 03:58 AM
How much time u guys use your ppc until you do a soft reset? Or you just dont soft reset it unless u are having problems.

There's no hard and fast rule. Obviously, if you're having problems, you'd want to soft reset your device. If things are starting to act sluggish, you'd also want to soft reset your device. It's rare finding someone who will schedule a soft reset every 18 hours or so - it's more a matter of what state the Pocket PC is in at a particular point in time.

One more thing, do you guys close the programs after you use them or let them run in teh background like the calc, ie, etC?

I prefer closing them rather than smart minimising them. It frees up memory when I need it. Of course, there is the added loading time for each instance you wish to re-launch the program as opposed to "maximising" it when it's already running in the background, but it's negligible by today's standards.

Nurhisham Hussein
12-09-2005, 04:09 AM
I usually soft reset every day as part of my backup process - and I do close programs rather than minimising them, unless I'm switching across different apps for a purpose - like using Textmaker and Planmaker at the same time. Some of the programs I use are real memory hogs, like the two mentioned above - thank god for 128MB RAM!

Patrick Y.
12-09-2005, 04:33 AM
I usually soft reset to clean up the RAM and other trashes. Other than that, I never really soft reset my device.

Like Darius, I also prefer closing to minimizing when I'm not using particular program. Too much program running decrease the RAM and device performance. With Wisbar, I can minimize or close programs with ease like desktop computers.

PetiteFlower
12-09-2005, 03:45 PM
I don't soft reset unless I'm having issues. It does annoying things like resetting the volume level so I avoid it unless it's necessary. Will soft reset once a week at most I think.

I do close programs. I use Pocket Plus to make the X button work right.

CoreyJF
12-09-2005, 04:26 PM
I look at it like a shower. Atleast once a day to keep the stink away.

bdavidson9554
12-09-2005, 05:11 PM
With my iPAQ hx4700, I have a scheduled backup that runs nightly at 23:45 and resets the device upon completion, because it also kills processes before backing up.

For me, it accomplishes 2 things:

1. In case of a battery drain overnight (more common when I used an iPAQ h5450), my data will be backed up.
2. Clears up RAM.

Brian

Patrick Y.
12-10-2005, 12:54 AM
I don't soft reset unless I'm having issues. It does annoying things like resetting the volume level so I avoid it unless it's necessary. Will soft reset once a week at most I think.

Really? There must be something wrong with your device. It isn't suppose to erase settings such as volume level.

SlipstreamSolutions
06-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Automatically soft reset your Windows Mobile device...

Auto Reset allows you to automatically soft reset your Windows Mobile device, clearing your device memory and allowing programs to run quicker and more efficiently.

http://www.slipstreamsolutions.co.uk/products/mAutoReset.htm

Slipstream Solutions