View Full Version : Quick question about using a wifi card in my ipaq!

caubeck
12-08-2005, 08:25 PM
Until I can afford to buy a better model, I would like to use a wifi card in my ipaq 1935. I live in Spain, where it's hard to buy PDA accessories across the counter, so I checked Expansys and found this:

Socket Wireless LAN SDIO Card (WiFi - UK Version)

59 euros, sounds good. I have a couple of questions, though:

1) Why does it say "UK version"? My PDA has the OP in Spanish but I expect that's irrelevant.

2) What problems can I expect to have on my ipaq 1935? I know it's old, but I often connect it to the PC and access the internet quite well.

So, with this little card can I expect to be surfing happily in cafes in Madrid, or fuming about some issue I never imagined while my coffee goes cold?

Darius Wey
12-09-2005, 04:26 AM
1) Why does it say "UK version"? My PDA has the OP in Spanish but I expect that's irrelevant.

It's probably a tag to indicate that this is the batch of Wi-Fi cards designated for sale in the UK. It should still work fine.

If you're after an even smaller card, then the Spectec SDIO Wi-Fi Card (http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=121110) is worth considering. Having used both a full-sized Wi-Fi card and seen a compact one in action, I'd say the Spectec card is well worth the extra dollars spent.

2) What problems can I expect to have on my ipaq 1935? I know it's old, but I often connect it to the PC and access the internet quite well.

I can't really think of any issues. Your h1935 is SDIO-ready, so the card shouldn't have any problems operating. I used to use an SDIO Wi-Fi card with my h1945, and it was more than capable of getting through a day's worth of internet and email.

So, with this little card can I expect to be surfing happily in cafes in Madrid, or fuming about some issue I never imagined while my coffee goes cold?

Most likely, the former (as long as you have legitimate access to those cafes' wireless networks). :)

caubeck
12-09-2005, 09:07 AM
Thanks for putting my mind at rest! I see these Spectec cards are all over eBay, too.

It'll be fun.

McDeHack
01-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Would this card work in my ipaq 3870? As I am getting interested in Wi-Fi.

Stik
01-06-2006, 06:49 PM

McDeHack,

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly the 3870 has an SD slot for memory cards, but it doesn't have the I/O capabilities to use any of the SD ( IO ) WiFi cards that are available.

Darius Wey
01-07-2006, 03:55 AM
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but if I remember correctly the 3870 has an SD slot for memory cards, but it doesn't have the I/O capabilities to use any of the SD ( IO ) WiFi cards that are available.

That's spot on. The 3800 series doesn't support SDIO, sadly.

pocketpcadmirer
01-07-2006, 12:50 PM

no :(

clbsvi
01-08-2006, 03:45 AM
In early December '05, I bought a new HP iPAQ hx2495 with builti-n WiFi and BT, gorgeous bright screen, replaceable battery, CF and SD slots, and Windows Mobile 5, at Circuit City in Northwest Florida. Total price: $350.00 US with $35.00 Circuit City Gift Card as instant rebate. Works great right out of the box. No problems with Active Sync either. Only downside: Can't get Bluetooth to work with a new Toshiba Laptop, an M45-S269, no matter how hard I try. I HATE BlueTooth !! Suggestion if feasible: Sell what you have and try one of these, or lease one on a trial basis. Also, by the way, the iPAQ beats a Dell Axim of similar configuration in almost every category. Moreover, recent forum posts plus a recent article in PC World magazine suggest to me that Dell Customer service and device quality aren't what they ought to be.

OSUKid7
01-08-2006, 05:51 AM
If you're really interested in getting Wi-Fi on your H3870, you can get either a CF or PC card expansion pack plus the corresponding Wi-Fi card. It's not a pretty solution, and literally dobules the thickness of your PDA, but it works. I found my old PC Card Expansion Pack Plus the other day, and wow is that thing huge. 8O :lol: I lived on that thing as my only connection to the Internet for 10 days a few summers ago...it's not pretty, but it gets the job done.