View Full Version : SwellDisk Problem!

apauaie
12-08-2005, 11:05 AM
Has anyone ever use software solution to increase their storage card capacity by way of compressing the files automatically... Well Swelldisk is one of it... Just want to share with you guys that it's not as good as it sound.. I did manage to turn my 4GB CF card to a 12GB card....At least that's what it says in the memory settings.... The crazy thing is it does not support media files such as MP3, WMV, AVI, MPG, JPG etc.... I mean, what's that about, the only reason i bought this software is so that i could put more music and videos in my Pocket PC... And it doesn't say that on the website... There is an option to try and compress these type of files.. However, it doesn't work. I tried copyng 5GB of MP3 to the 12GB card.. at 4GB, it stops and says that the card is full....It's like having the same 4GB card, the only different is it says 12GB on the memory setting... How stupid is that... And they don't do refunds.....

Just sharing this information so that no one else falls for this...If anyone has got good experience with this kind of software, do share it here... I would love to hear comments.....Cheers..

caubeck
12-08-2005, 11:28 AM
One of the reasons I didn't buy this software was a warning I came across in another forum that not all file types could be compressed.

It would be interesting to see if it can compress texts (which is all I have on my card now) to allow 12 GBs worth, but I've gone over my software budget for this year so I won't be doing any experiments myself!

Try getting them to respond to your complaints, I read they have made at least one refund in the past.

Good luck.

Nurhisham Hussein
12-08-2005, 01:30 PM
The crazy thing is it does not support media files such as MP3, WMV, AVI, MPG, JPG etc....

Hard to blame them as I don't think any compression software does much more - because those types of files are already highly compressed, there's not a lot that any additional compression could do to reduce the file size. Try putting some Jpegs in a *.zip archive and you'll see what I mean.

CoreyJF
12-09-2005, 08:23 PM
The crazy thing is it does not support media files such as MP3, WMV, AVI, MPG, JPG etc....

Hard to blame them as I don't think any compression software does much more - because those types of files are already highly compressed, there's not a lot that any additional compression could do to reduce the file size. Try putting some Jpegs in a *.zip archive and you'll see what I mean.

Which is my I think software like this is fairly pointless and misleading.