View Full Version : Verizon, Qualcomm Announce MediaFLO Video Streaming

Janak Parekh
12-06-2005, 03:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.vzw.com/news/2005/12/pr2005-12-01.html' target='_blank'>http://news.vzw.com/news/2005/12/pr2005-12-01.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"QUALCOMM Incorporated, a leading developer and innovator of Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) and other advanced wireless technologies, and Verizon Wireless, which operates the nation’s most reliable wireless networks, today announced that QUALCOMM and its subsidiary MediaFLO™ USA Inc., are working together with Verizon Wireless to bring its customers real-time mobile video over the MediaFLO multicasting network in the United States. QUALCOMM and Verizon Wireless expect to launch mobile TV services over the MediaFLO network in approximately half of the markets already covered by Verizon Wireless’ CDMA2000 1xEV-DO-based broadband network, enabling Verizon Wireless to offer real-time mobile TV services of unprecedented quality to its subscribers."</i><br /><br />What makes this announcement particularly interesting is that it won't ride on top of the existing frequencies, but will instead use a dedicated 700MHz band for streaming video. While it may not be exactly the same thing as the Digital Media Broadcasting (DMB) we've posted about recently, it does look like the aim will be for high-quality TV-style streaming. No clue if any Windows Mobile devices will support this, but it's a very interesting market to watch right now.

rhelwig
12-06-2005, 01:53 PM
The reason they are using a separate frequency is the real interesting point: because streaming is evil!

Streaming requires the radio to be fully powered throughout the show even though the show could have been downloaded much quicker.
It attempts to require the user to watch the show in its entirety at once.
It is a violation of the infrastructure of modern communications (it uses packet systems as if they were switching systems like the ancient land-line phone system)

In the age of PVRs like Tivo, I don't think this will do well. It is too limiting.