View Full Version : What Excites You This Holiday Season?

Jon Westfall
12-06-2005, 01:30 PM
With the approaching holidays, we're all probably starting to get the itch for new technology. When Santa slides down your chimney / exhaust pipe / toilet vent in mere weeks, what device or gadget excites you enough to be having visions of dancing in your heads? Just to jog your memory, here is a quick rundown of what's been released these last few months (And a few we expect to be out soon, so those of you with birthdays early in the New Year have something to hope for). So whatever your religious affiliation, drop what you're doing, pretend to believe in Santa, pretend you've been a good little geek, and tell us what you want for Christmas this year...<br /><!> <br />For starters, you may want one of those shiny new <a href="http://www.clubimate.com">HTC devices</a>. Why not - the Jasjar is big enough and feature packed with WM 5 goodness, a laptop like design, VGA screen, and a fairly usable keyboard. The K-Jam is small and still stuffed with goodies like quad band GSM, WLAN, Bluetooth, and a keyboard. These devices don't come cheap, and availability is a limiting factor, but if you're a phone edition phanatic (to use the 'hip' spelling I just made up) it is about as much as you can ask for. A bit more attainable than these two devices would be Sprint &amp; Verizon's versions of the HTC Apache, which are available soon (Verizon) or now (Sprint) and support those stuck on that "other" cellular network architecture. <br /><br />But maybe HTC has scorned you or is just too unattainable. Perhaps the phoneophile in you is leaning toward the E-ten M600. Darius just finished his <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,44578"> Comprehensive review </a> of it, and while it lacks the USB host of its ancestor and Ed's beloved infrared, Darius seems happy with its performance and value. Still a bit pricey, but you can't expect a Phone Edition to be low price - although used I-Mate Pocket PCs are still floating around eBay for low cost, and they are only 2 years old! (That device still holds the record for Most Money Paid For A Device by yours truly).<br /> <PAGEBREAK> <br />Maybe a phone edition isn't your thing. Ok, how about a shiny new Axim x51v from the North Pole to your waiting hands? It has the latest OS, is a great value (especially with Dell dropping deals daily during December - check slickdeals.net and around the net), and has a pretty sizeable following among the PPC crowd. Jason wrote up a <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,43092"> nice review </a> earlier this on this device. While current x50v users might only see it as a 'dot release', those of you who aren't Dell Dudes already will find a lot to like about this device.<br /><br />If you're not the Santa believing sort (I told you to put aside those religious affiliations!), you're probably looking forward to some other gift giving occasion, and for you, perhaps you'd be tempted by the Treo 700w which bridges the gaps between the two mobile device tribes and promises to be, at least, interesting when it makes its appearance this year. The Acer n300 is also being prepped for roll-out sometime (we assume) in 2006. Choices abound!<br /><br />And of course there are all those other Techno goodies that may tempt you this year. Sony PSPs (If you can get over the horrible feeling of buying something from Sony), Xbox 360's (If you can get your hands on them), numerous PPC &amp; PC accessories (Sure to help you waste time and/or be more productive this next year), and parenthetical side notes (At least those I haven't used already!).<br /><br />What excites you?

piperpilot
12-06-2005, 01:46 PM
What excites me this Christmas is the brand new Dell Axim X51v that my husband bought me. He thinks I know nothing about it, but there are definitely advantages to being the first one home to get the mail :wink:

SteveHoward999
12-06-2005, 01:56 PM
What excites me this Christmas is the brand new Dell Axim X51v that my husband bought me. He thinks I know nothing about it, but there are definitely advantages to being the first one home to get the mail :wink:

What makes you so sure he didn't buy it for himself? :devilboy:

egads
12-06-2005, 02:05 PM
You know this is one of the 1st years in a long time that there are no gadgets out there that I just haft to have. It would be nice to get one of the nicely packaged Media Center PC's but they just cost too darn much.

Anyone else think the tech offerings this year are a bit bland???

PDANEWBIE
12-06-2005, 02:18 PM
Anyone else think the tech offerings this year are a bit bland???

I agree whole heartedly.... nothing jumped out as a device I want to carry around with me to replace my 2215 and I think I am just going to hold on... I mean WM5.0 isn't doing that hot with all the little bugs and the fact that quite a few apps still don't support it.

I hope next year I have something that comes along as a good replacement for my near perfect device (which is the first I have ever owned btw)

PatrickD
12-06-2005, 02:21 PM
I'd love to get a Jasjar or K-jam, but unfortunately here in Canada my carrier doesn't have them. I know I could order one off the net, but I don't want to have to take a second mortgage on my house just to buy a phone with no contract.

If I'm lucky my carrier will have these phones in time for Christmas next year. :(

Darius Wey
12-06-2005, 03:11 PM
...Xbox 360's (If you can get your hands on them)

Yup, this is my big Christmas wish, but there is a catch. It isn't being released here until March 2, but being the good geek that I am, I've already pre-ordered it.

Things are being done a little differently here. Microsoft is including a VIP pack as an option with every pre-order. In addition, every pre-order requires a deposit. Apparently, Microsoft is working directly with retailers to ensure that the right number of units are supplied to meet the enthusiastic demand (this might just be PR fluff, but let's hope not).

Anyway, tomorrow's the big day where I hopefully receive my second wireless controller and Perfect Dark Zero, but annoyingly, without the console, I'll be denied the option of using it. For now, I'm counting down the days until March 2. :)

piperpilot
12-06-2005, 03:16 PM

What makes you so sure he didn't buy it for himself? :devilboy:

I am so sure it's for me that I ordered myself a very sweet Vaja case for it which should arrive just after Christmas, all thanks to Jason and PPCT for the $100 vaja coupon that I won a few months back. I will be sorry to see my steadfast iPAQ 5455 relegated to the retired electronics drawer in my office, but I'm looking forward to having a nifty new VGA device :lol:

JD Silver
12-06-2005, 03:43 PM
I guess my Christmas came early by purchasing the first HTC Apache in the city. It was fun to watch the EVDO system start up the next day, then all those MB fly by. I was shocked to find a Canadian carrier moving so quickly on a new data device.

Anyway, this Christmas I'm going to play by programming WM5 using Visual Studio.NET 2005, and learning the ins and outs of the new .NET CF. I have got to try the Direct3D extensions out!

MasterOfMoo
12-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Nothing all too phenomenal in the offerings this year. My holiday gadgetry will be confined to finishing up some DIY projects during the break.

ale_ers
12-06-2005, 04:34 PM
I'm waiting for Cingular to release the HTC 8100 (their name for the Wizard). The rumor mill is full of possible release dates, and I might even have to wait until January...but I've been really good this year.

signothefish
12-06-2005, 04:46 PM
I'd still like to have one of those handheld computers, like the OQO or one of the Sony U series. I know it's a very niche market (mostly due to cost), but it would be a nice PDA replacement.

aubergine
12-06-2005, 04:59 PM
I'm waiting for the next LOOX N series with VGA &amp; GPS, for use fell walking etc. Having a crisp image of an OS map with true position plotted sounds cool to me.

Nearly bought a media centre last week, till I discovered it was too deep to fit in my cabinet. Would probably get too hot enclosed anyway. Really need to reduce the power consumption of all these devices.

hamishmacdonald
12-06-2005, 05:13 PM
I agree with the other posters: Only the Acer n300 devices compel me, and they're not out yet. Even then, I think about not being able to use my 1GB Compact Flash card, and that gives me pause. Then there's the fact that I still -- a year later -- really like my Asus MyPal A730W. On my way back to Canada yesterday, I watched a movie, read a book, read some RSS feeds, and caught up with my backlogged e-mail. That's neat. So why not stick with what works and save the money for travel? (Repeat like a mantra.)

This year, I made my Christmas presents for my family. I've been getting into -- and loving -- bookbinding, so even though I'm a technowiener, I'm loving the craft of making something real, and really thinking about each person I'm giving a gift to.

Then people ask me what I want, and when it comes down to it, I feel really grateful for what I've already got. I have friends, family, and work I love, and all the "stuff" I need now to be able to work and even publish myself from home -- or wherever. So I'm asking people to take me out for dinner, giving us an excuse to just hang out and be with each other.

So while I'm on the topic of things I appreciate, thanks to the team at PocketPCThoughts. I visit the site about a dozen times a day, and I benefit enormously from the contributions of its core writers and the forum contributors. Thanks, everyone.

foldedspace
12-06-2005, 05:16 PM
I was able to snag one of the last of these...

http://www.redferret.net/?p=6184

Jacob
12-06-2005, 05:22 PM
I was able to snag one of the last of these...

http://www.redferret.net/?p=6184

Holy crap! That just made it on my list!

For technology I'd really like an iPod for Chanukah, but I don't think I'm going to get it.

Believe it or not, but I did ask for socks this year too :)

piperpilot
12-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Believe it or not, but I did ask for socks this year too :)

They're on my list too. Hey, if you need them, you need them.

SteveHoward999
12-06-2005, 05:27 PM
I'd still like to have one of those handheld computers, like the OQO or one of the Sony U series. I know it's a very niche market (mostly due to cost), but it would be a nice PDA replacement.

I finally saw one in the flesh last week. Very very nice. Gimme gimme!!!!!

Don't Panic!
12-06-2005, 06:11 PM
I want the USB Air Darts as well. That's about it, I over-gadgeted this year. I purchased a Neuros 422 and the stand alone Video Recorder, a Samsung SCH i730 as well as an i-mate JasJar Windows Mobile Phone Edition device, a 6GB CF and a 4GB sSD cards. There really is such a thing as to much tech. 8O

cmorris
12-06-2005, 06:22 PM
Two words: Xbox 360 :D

Now if I could just find one...

pocketpcadmirer
12-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Well, my dad has recently bought me a metal case worth $20 for my XDA O2 mini(man !! it looks so se*y)..just 4 months ago he bought me a o2 mini(I sold off my SE P910i)(again lots of $$ spent here)..now I have a broadband connection at home also($$)

So its pretty pricy things are going around me..I'm just 18 years at the moment and its not a good thing to spend so much(JUST LOOK AT MY SIGNATURE !!)..so many devices I've bought..and my poor dad still on his Nokia 6670(and no PDA :?: )

Now as the prices of XDA O2i have gone down I have that 'gadget' as my chirstmas wish(my eyes start to ache after prolonged reading on my O2 mini :oops: )

Sunny

stevelam
12-06-2005, 06:53 PM
Two words: Xbox 360 :D

Now if I could just find one...

Hmmm my friend has one. Now he wants an HD TV. Some people are never satisfied. :)

ricksfiona
12-06-2005, 07:07 PM
An E-TEN M600. I rarely get REALLY excited about technology, but that has definitely made my list.

MitchellO
12-06-2005, 08:53 PM
This year I have basically bought the things that I have wanted. Upgraded my PPC Phone and laptop.

(Without forgetting I'm 16 and in Yr12) I'd like to get money to recoup some of the money I've spent this year:

- Dell Inspiron 710m fully loaded -> $2600 - $1600 from old laptop = $1000
- imate K-JAM -> $1130 - $800 (from XDA Mini) = $330
- Metal Case for KJAM -> $50
- 512Mb miniSD Card -> $65
- 3 PSP Games -> $65 x 3 (approx) = $195
- Modular Battery for my OLD laptop (eary 05) -> $70
- Upgraded HDD (60Gb -> 80Gb, early 05) -> $200
- Trip to Japan -> $2250 - $1125 (parents paid half) = $1125
- Spending money in Japan -> ~$600
Total = $3635 from money I earned 8O 8O 8O

Just realising how much money I've spend this year? Priceless 8O

Yup, definately need money. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

MasterOfMoo
12-06-2005, 09:46 PM
This year I have basically bought the things that I have wanted.

I'm in the same boat - the last thing I really wanted I ended up getting:
UltraSharp 2005FPW 20.1-inch Wide Aspect Flat Panel LCD Monitor (http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/ProductDetail.aspx?sku=20053YR&amp;c=us&amp;cat=snp&amp;category_id=6198&amp;cs=19&amp;l=en&amp;Page=productlisting.aspx)

- Yay for stackable coupons from Dell!

MitchellO
12-06-2005, 09:54 PM
I was faced with the following delima about 3 weeks ago: Buy a Dell 19" Widescreen LCD TV for $999 - $200 cash off, or sell my i8600 and get a fully loaded i710m for $1000 extra (on top of the i8600 sale).

Ultimately chose the 710m. If I wait too long, my i8600 would be worth nothing. I can always get the TV next year when the budget resets :D

rmasinag
12-07-2005, 01:18 AM
I've been living with a 15 inch (13 viewable display) since 1997. Now that I have a semi-real job, I'm looking at a Dell flat screen

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/monitor_2405fpw?c=us&amp;cs=28&amp;l=en&amp;s=dfb

I'm asking for money for chrismas to help fund this baby! :)

I would like a Xbox 360 but me without HD TV it's Useless! (to me)

juni
12-07-2005, 09:10 AM
My Xbox 360 has been ordered along with a couple of games, but sadly the backorder is 100 devices. I hope they'll get it on time :(.

aicon
12-07-2005, 12:56 PM
1. XDA Exec (HTC Universal) want the O2 version 'cos of sexy black look

2. Largest LCD TV I can get (actually 32'' would be perfect) 'cos I moved house in September and the new place has this space on the wall tah would be ideal for it

There, that's it. Not greedy, am I Santa? Been a good boy, haven't I? Now if I can just find someone who REALLY feel like they owe me a BIG present this Christmas...

:D :) :D :) LET'S HEAR IT FOR CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE :D :) :D :)

alese
12-07-2005, 06:26 PM
My first post on PPCT, after looong time just looking and reading.

On topic:
For this Christmas I'm thinking about Qtek 9000 (HTC Universal) that I'm testing at the moment.
Cute little gadget, not realy usefull as a phone, but I'm trying to make it work as an mikro notebook...

As for the rest.
I would love to get a lot of gadgets:
- small tablet or maybe ultra portable like OQO - but they are too expensive for now
- new WM5 Phone Edition for my main phone, something small fast and with WiFi, maybe Eten 600 if it will be available on contract
- New Media Center 2005

But they will have to wait

beq
12-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Hey, why no mention of Apple's iPods, which all the mainstream media has been busy touting as the supposed #1 gift this holiday season? :)

We just bought 6 of the new video-capable iPods for early gifts (most of them the 60GB model, most of them in black). Unfortunately all the Best Buy stores in town were completely out of stock, but strangely the single Apple store in town had plenty of boxes in stock (methinks preferential treatment by Apple for its own retail stores?). Now I'm thinking about getting another one for the gf, although I'd already gotten her a 3G iPod in the past...

I'd bought a Sony PSP right after they came out, but I'd lent it to my gf and haven't seen it since (it's also her kid nephew's favorite gadget). So I'm thinking about buying another one for myself, again :D

As far as PDA/phone, I plan on the upcoming Motorola Razr V3i (which uses MicroSD cards) in combination with Acer n311. This to replace my current PDA2k's and JAM, one of which was broken during the hurricane.

Coincidentally, I've just had to buy a couple of the current Black Razr V3 for early pre-Christmas birthday gifts. I purchased the full-priced unlocked version ($250-300 each online) because the recipients didn't qualify for a Cingular subsidy discount, and one of them is a global traveller anyways. Though, a friend of mine just got two Black Razr V3's too, but for FREE with 2-yr contracts!

I also want the Xbox 360 of course, but I've decided on a Zen-like attitude until they're restocked in plentiful numbers from local stores. I'm also interested in using it to extend my new Dell XPS Media Center desktop PC (which I love, in addition to my ThinkPad X41 Tablet convertible notebook).

Magellan
12-09-2005, 08:24 PM
Sony PSP! If the Sony-Ericsson P990 was out that would be tops on the list to replace my P900.