View Full Version : Is this normal for the rx3115?

lottathought
12-02-2005, 01:12 PM
I have been the proud owner of the h2215 for a couple of years now and LOVED it.
I was recently given the opportunity to upgrade to the rx3115 however and went for it.
I am starting to wonder if I made a bad move.

There are a few things going on that did not exist on the h2215.

1.... The screen flash.
At work, I charge..and run the 3115 using a USB connection from desktop to power it.
I never had a problem doing this on the h2215.
When I plug the rx3115 in however, the entire screen flashes with the amber light. HUH?...
Sometimes the flashing is less pronounces but sometimes it will give you a headache.
In addition, the power indicator can show that the power level is dropping????? This is with the amber light flasjing like the unit is charging.

Next is the explorer files...
I like to open the mp3 files by just clicking on the MP3. When I am done, I click on the x at the right top of the window to close the window.
Once again...never a problem with the h2215..
But trying to click out of the wondow by clicking the x is as likely to lock up the rx3115 as not.
I have tried to normal explorer link and also the Resco file explorer link...same result.

There have been a few other quirks but these are the worst and they are driving me crazy.

I did not see where anybody else has reported these problems.
Is it just me?
Does this sound like a defective unit?
Is this something that people have found a fix for and I just missed it?

Thanks

Jason Dunn
12-02-2005, 05:40 PM
The amber light issue sounds like a defective Pocket PC, but the "x" locking up your device sounds like a software issue, perhaps related to a 3rd party application. I'd try a hard reset and look for any newer ROM updates to see if it helps. Don't install any third party applications for a few days and see how it goes.

Menneisyys
12-03-2005, 12:10 PM
At work, I charge..and run the 3115 using a USB connection from desktop to power it.
I never had a problem doing this on the h2215.
When I plug the rx3115 in however, the entire screen flashes with the amber light. HUH?...
Sometimes the flashing is less pronounces but sometimes it will give you a headache.
In addition, the power indicator can show that the power level is dropping????? This is with the amber light flasjing like the unit is charging.

Does it do the same when the PDA is switched off AND the battery is very well charged (over 80%?)

USB charging can't really be used for batteries under a certain charge level (http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&p=219&more=1) - in general, 30-80%, depending on the host computer and the PDA model. Then, even when the charge light is blinking, the power level is decreasing. The situation is the same with my PL720 when I put it on my old IBM 300GL, even with very high initial battery charge levels.

lottathought
12-04-2005, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the response guys...

OK Menneisyys..
No, the system seems to charge OK by USB when it is turned off.
When it is turned on however, that is when it will sometimes go down in power.
And the charge level does not seem to matter.
I had it dropping in power when it should have been charging by USB when it started with as high as 95%.

I have also been trying some more test since the first post.
I have been removing programs. It does not seem to help with the lock up trouble.

I learned something else too..that may decide for certain if I have a hardware problem.
I have done a few factory default resets.
I know that I did the reset correctly because the Ipaq will start off with the tapping to align the screen test and everything is back to factory default.....except one thing.
The programming of nevo (the built in universal remote program) is still there.
I thought that when I did a factory default reset, it reset everything.
Does this make certain that I have a hardware issue?

Menneisyys
12-04-2005, 02:30 PM
No, the system seems to charge OK by USB when it is turned off.
When it is turned on however, that is when it will sometimes go down in power.
And the charge level does not seem to matter.
I had it dropping in power when it should have been charging by USB when it started with as high as 95%.

Not much can be done to that - except for leaving your PDA shut down while it's connected to the desktop, if you want it to be charged. You may want to read http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3&title=how_do_i_kill_the_activesync_process_wha on shutting down ActiveSync completely if the PDA awakens every 5 minutes.

I know that I did the reset correctly because the Ipaq will start off with the tapping to align the screen test and everything is back to factory default.....except one thing.
The programming of nevo (the built in universal remote program) is still there.
I thought that when I did a factory default reset, it reset everything.

Nevo stores its config data in the iPAQ File Store, this is why it isn't cleaned up during a hard reset. (Also see http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=782529 on the same problem.)