View Full Version : xv6600/6700, samsung i730, or blackberry?

muddyriverruralist
12-02-2005, 08:32 AM
I'm hoping someone can help me. I am completely lost will all the options that are out there. Basically, I need to access the Net on a regular basis, surf diverse web sites, and copy text source files. I need to somehow get this text data to a laptop where it would be used as reference material for the production of another text document. I need to be able to upload the text file (.rtf format) I produce on my laptop to the net either by copying to an SD card or the equivalent and putting them in a handheld or by somehow linking (tethering?) the laptop to the handheld.

I've never used a handheld for this function but have used a cell phone tethered to my laptop to do this via Verizon's Quick to Net. Although it is slow it works. Economy, however, is a major concern and I need 24 hour access at the best price. Verizon evidently has an unlimited data plan for the handhelds noted above for $49.99 and it even allows voice calls at 25 cents a minute. Additional information that might be critical is that I live and work in primarily a rural area....western KY. Verizon does have coverage however in at least part of that area. I also need to be able to retrieve e-mail but NOT necessarily have it available immediately when it comes in. Which of the above devices would be best suited for my purposes? Maybe something else would be better?

Thanks for putting up with the flood of questions!

Chris Spera
12-02-2005, 01:44 PM
Any of the Pocket PC's will work. Leave the Blackberry alone. You don't want it, and with RIM's troubles right now, who knows if they'll end up on their feet or not.

The XV6600 is available at a deep discount right now, $299 with a 2 year contract. When they debuted about a year ago, they were at least twice that price. They are EV-DO capable, and are strong enough to do what you want.

muddyriverruralist
12-02-2005, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the input. At least I am on the right track in what I need :D What about the ability to tether the Pocket PC to the laptop though? Is it possible to tether them and to use the laptop as the browser and the pocket pc as the modem so to speak so that I can benefit from the large screen format when I need to?

I want the flexibility of using the handheld as a standalone but being able to access the web off the notebook using the handheld as the "modem" at times. One article, on this site I believe, says something about the xv6700 turning off when attached to the laptop to prevent tethering...does the xv6600 have that same limitation?

One other question...the descriptions of the xv 6600 and xv 6700 on the Verizon site say that there is no removable memory. I am reading that as there is no provision for an SD card or the equivalent...is that what it means?

Thanks in advance for your time. It sure helps to have input from those with experience when you are as lost as I am in this stuff!