View Full Version : DELL AXIM X50v WM5 UPGRADE WOO's

gparach
11-30-2005, 08:42 PM
I ordered my Pocket PC loaded w/Accessories in Aug with the intent it would be upgraded to WM5 for free and working as advertised. After being told three stories by the Dell reps on three different dates it was apparent I needed to play hardball to get what I ordered. After reaming another rep, I finally got my upgrade in the mail a few days later (mid Nov). The upgrade installed fine, but there are many problems and bugs. One major problem is when you remove the unit from the charger cradel it displays a white screen and then you have to do a hard reset to get the unit to respond again. This alone makes the upgrade worthless. Dell has lost my confidence and respect with this transaction. I will probably not purchase from them personally again and I'm considering changing all my government PC purchases to another vendor as well. Sorry Dell, you blew it. HP - I'm coming back.

FormerMVP
11-30-2005, 09:36 PM
My upgrade went fine, but the device is so sluggish (with nothing installed on it) that it's barely usable, even with the CPU set to full speed...

dazz
12-01-2005, 05:01 AM
Sorry, but HP users are having the same problems.

I made the change and my Axim is working fine. I've mentioned this to others, but some people have noticed that you have to follow the instructions to the T. That means you have to leave it in the cradle, even when you do the reset. After you do this reset you have to not go through the setup procedure, but rather hjust keep going with the setup.

If you are able to get it set up properly you can do a couple registry changes to drastically improve performance. I have posted the changes on my site, if you need them.