View Full Version : pocket outlook syncronization

Barrett1Boehm
11-29-2005, 11:23 PM
Ok, so I'm used to push technology with a blackberry and getting fairly frustrated with my new ppc-6700...I have two mailboxes set up in outlook and I seem to have two problems: 1- outlook fails to sync automatically most of the time (I have both accounts set to check the server every 15 mins), 2- when it syncs, it only syncs the account that is in view or open at the time.

So, does anyone know what my problem is? Is there a way to make sure it is consistent at checking mail and also checks both my mailboxes? Or am I just SOL. Thanks.

Jason Dunn
11-29-2005, 11:30 PM
What type of email accounts are they? POP? IMAP? Exchange?

Barrett1Boehm
11-29-2005, 11:34 PM
They are pop accounts...and they synchromize perfectly when I click send/receive. It just sems like the device will rarely auto connect.

Jason Dunn
11-29-2005, 11:44 PM
I haven't used POP accounts in years, but the settings are the same for POP and IMAP. Are you getting an error message of any type? What if you set it to refresh every 2 minutes then watched it to see what's happening? Is it possible that you're not getting sufficient network coverage or something similar?

Barrett1Boehm
11-29-2005, 11:57 PM
yeah, I tried setting it to every five minutes and sent test emails to bot of my accounts...i've tried this several times and it just doesn't connect all the time...I expected to get the test emails pretty quick but after a while I get frustrated and hit the send/receive button which works. I have no connection problems, outlook just isn't all that reliable it seems.

Jason Dunn
11-30-2005, 12:10 AM
i've tried this several times and it just doesn't connect all the time...I expected to get the test emails pretty quick but after a while I get frustrated and hit the send/receive button which works.

When you say it "doesn't connect all the time", are you getting a specific error? Or does it just not work? Are both accounts on the same server? Do you have an account on a different server that you can test it with?

The problem here is that there are so many variables, it's hard to point to one thing as being the problem...though it honestly wouldn't surprise me much if Pocket Inbox was the problem. Microsoft puts a lot of effort into making sure Exchange sync works well, but they tend to ignore the needs of POP/IMAP users. :?

Barrett1Boehm
11-30-2005, 01:34 AM
I think the problem is that it doesn't connect when outlook isn't open...it usually hit stop all under running programs every once and a while. should it be like that? the other problem is that it doesn't seem to download for both mailboxes when it does connect. It only downloads for the mailbox that is selected. I figured that out by sending mail to each mailbox and then waiting for it to connect and it only got the mail for the open mailbox. Any suggestions? or is that probably a problem for outlook? Thanks.

Barrett1Boehm
11-30-2005, 02:51 AM
and the pda screen pops on every time it is connecting to sync for mail...shouldn't it connect without turning the screen on?

Jason Dunn
11-30-2005, 07:18 AM
I think the problem is that it doesn't connect when outlook isn't open...it usually hit stop all under running programs every once and a while. should it be like that?

In order for Pocket Inbox to check email, it needs to be open. It's no different than your desktop computer - if Outlook is closed, it won't check email. Exchange Activesync is different because Activesync is always running in some fashion on the device.

Jason Dunn
11-30-2005, 07:19 AM
and the pda screen pops on every time it is connecting to sync for mail...shouldn't it connect without turning the screen on?

I believe it should, yes - but I don't have that device so I'm not sure. There's got to be some other 6700 owners in here that can chime in. Anyone?

Barrett1Boehm
11-30-2005, 02:28 PM
Jason, I appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

heliman
01-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Hi Jason, Barrett,

I am a Telus user in Alberta and have this same problem:

I can't get it to auto sync any more than 1 IMAP folder.

I can get it to connect and stay connected or dial up and disconnect each time it checks, but not to check 3 IMAP folders in a row.

If all the folders are closed (from the program settings- running programs) it will check only one IMAP folder - it seems at random.

If one of them is open, it seems to check the open one.

If indeed it requires them to be running to check them, how do I get 3 of them to run at the same time?

Kevin.

Jason Dunn
01-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Hi there Kevin - welcome to the site!

If indeed it requires them to be running to check them, how do I get 3 of them to run at the same time?

Unfortunately, Pocket Inbox doesn't have a "send & receive all" like Outlook on the desktop has, so you have no choice but to do a send & received on each account, one by one. Hugely frustrating for me as well, but Microsoft seems to think that everyone is using an Exchange server and not IMAP or POP.

heliman
01-10-2006, 11:03 PM
Any idea what the "check for messages every xx minutes" is all about then? Why have it if it doesn't work?

BTW - Didn't I see an article by you on Microsofts site?

Jason Dunn
01-10-2006, 11:12 PM
Any idea what the "check for messages every xx minutes" is all about then? Why have it if it doesn't work?

Oh, yes, that should work. You're saying it doesn't? Do you set them for different variables? 15 minutes, 18 minutes, 20 minutes, etc? And it breaks?

BTW - Didn't I see an article by you on Microsofts
site?

Yup, I've got a few. Maybe you saw the Exchange article (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/articles/strategy.mspx)?

heliman
01-10-2006, 11:14 PM
The article on the 3 ways to do email, POP, IMAP, Exchange. Thanks for that, it was a good intro and clearly laid out.

Now, if only I could get my IMAP to work with syncing, it would be great! As for right now, it's only "really good".

Barrett1Boehm
01-11-2006, 03:18 AM
Jason, is there an afordable way to use an exchange server if you are simply an individual student? I would like to see how it works...thanks.

Jason Dunn
01-11-2006, 07:01 AM
Jason, is there an afordable way to use an exchange server if you are simply an individual student? I would like to see how it works...thanks.

Check it out {affiliate}:

http://www.4smartphone.net/affiliates.aspx?go=referal&ref=JD10726

Starts at $3.99 USD/month for device sync + Outlook Web Access, so that's pretty darn cheap. ;-)