View Full Version : What Antivirus software do you use on your HOME computer?

Paul Martin
11-29-2005, 05:18 AM
My Norton AV subscription is about to expire. Typically, I just get the new version for free or almost after upgrade rebates. But, having read reviews about NAV 2006, I'm not so sure. So, for HOME, what do you use? Suggestions, tips, war stories?

Paul

dlangton
11-29-2005, 06:08 AM
Got tired of Norton and it's firewall. Switched to Zonealarm AV this year. It's a lot more work than other products, but with a little effort, I can at least get everything to work proplery - internet connection sharing, Wifi and bluetooth networks, web server, SQL server.

Dent
11-29-2005, 10:47 AM
Macafee
AdAware
SpyBot
-
Windows Firewall

manywhere
11-29-2005, 11:17 AM
I've been testing F-Secure Internet Security 2006 and it looks to me like a suitable program. It is quite advanced in certain aspects but still simple enough for anyone to use. In short the features are: Anti-Virus - protects against viruses, trojans and other peskywares
Anti-Spyware - no spyware, adware, whatever you call it
Anti-Rootkit - no Sony "we own you and your CD" rootkits are undetectable to this scanner
Firewall - lets me know when someone scans my ports as a bonus
Spam filter - works nicely, together with Outlook 2003
Parential control - can be turned off, since you might not need it
Plus, F-Secure is among the fastest in releasing protection updates for viruses according to some study I saw. (That is the reason I switched from Symantec and I still thank my gods for doing myself that favor at every worm outbreak. :D )

It works nicely out of the box with ActiveSync and requires little configuraion to work IMO. The spam part doens't catch everything, but it catches the emails that Outlook doesn't.

But, in the end, you decide which to choose. Be sure to check out AV-test.org (http://www.av-test.org/index.php3?lang=en) where they test the update response and such of different virus companies. You might also be interested in a review of F-Secure IS 2006 (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1879085,00.asp) by PCMag, as well as look at the other anti-virus options (http://www.pcmag.com/category2/0,1874,1639159,00.asp) while you're there.

Paul Martin
11-29-2005, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestions....I'll look into F-Secure.

ctmagnus
12-13-2005, 04:21 AM
I got NAV2006 for close to 50% off but I am seriously unimpressed with it compared with the 2005 version. So I may switch to another AV software when I rebuild my machine sometime within the next week. I may even simply extend my subscription to NAV2005 if I can't find anything else that impresses me.

Paul Martin
12-13-2005, 04:53 AM
Thanks, CT. I read complaints from those who did that very thing, keeping me from pulling the trigger and going with NAV2006. Right now, I'm giving NOD32 (http://www.eset.com/home/home.htm) a spin. Seems to be highly recommended, though the UI could use some work. But, there's no discount so it's $39. Many argue it's well worth it. But, $39 compared to FAR...hmmm.

ironguy
12-13-2005, 10:22 PM
I got Norton AV along with the whole Security package and Ghost for free after rebate (I really wanted Ghost).

After that I may give McAfee a shot as Comacst provides it free of charge to subscribers.

I've been using AVG on one of my PCs for a couple of years and it appears really solid - no issues anywhere - except I have to manually update.

kellybelly
12-14-2005, 12:09 AM
I've used AVG/Grisoft for a few years now on my PC ... no problems and it's online 24/7.

But my main computer is a Mac, and I don't use my PC save for a few things, so my real answer should be "None." :wink:

Jason Dunn
12-15-2005, 09:52 PM
I don't use antivirus software on any of my machines. 8)

Paul Martin
12-16-2005, 12:29 AM

Really? So, how do you stay "protected"? :ninja:

ctmagnus
12-16-2005, 03:01 AM

I used to be that way, but I figure if I run antivirus software, that's one less thing for me to have to worry about whenever I hit Send/Receive.

Darius Wey
12-16-2005, 03:46 AM
Really? So, how do you stay "protected"? :ninja:

Jason doesn't use the internet. :lol:

Paul Martin
12-16-2005, 04:45 AM
I'd forgotten...he has Ashley do his work. ;)

Jason Dunn
12-16-2005, 09:03 PM
Really? So, how do you stay "protected"?

1) Keep my OS + apps patched
2) Avoid opening attachments that I know are trouble
3) Have all my PCs behind a Firewall
4) Never run any suspicious ActiveX control when using IE (I use Firefox regularly though)

And that's about it. User ignorance is the #1 reason viruses propogate - true browser exploits where viruses are pushed down and executed are extremely rare.

Maybe I'm just begging to have my PCs infected, but I haven't had a virus on any of my PCs in as far back as I can remember.

Jason Dunn
12-16-2005, 09:03 PM
I'd forgotten...he has Ashley do his work. ;)

Hah! I wish! :mrgreen:

ctmagnus
01-07-2006, 10:35 PM
Here's something interesting... If you go to pack.google.com (http://pack.google.com), you can get a free six-month license for NAV2005.

tregnier
01-08-2006, 02:32 AM
I use NAV 2006 plus ZoneAlarm Pro Suite with the AV turned off. I run AdAware and Spybot occasionally to catch the cookies/whatever that I might have missed.

I replaced NAV 2004 w NAV 2006. What's up with the complaints re 2006? I haven't heard anything...but then I haven't been looking. PM me if you have info.

clbsvi
01-08-2006, 04:06 AM
I have tried both Norton and McAffee side-by-side in the same computers, an HP Desktop and a new Toshiba Centrino laptop. IMHO, Norton wins hands-down, mainly because of a smoother, faster update process and far more useful set of utilities, both for Internet and computer support services. AOL provides McAffee and its own Spyware killer free with its membership services subscription. AOL also has a powerful newish Version 9.0 Security Edition SE which works great. Best Spyware killer for me: Spybot Search & Destroy 1.4. Does anyone know how to donate to the Spybot developer without having to use PayPal (Don't trust Internet credit card data security). AdAware free software works OK but conflicts with the Spybot in the same machines, so I uninstalled it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

OSUKid7
01-08-2006, 05:39 AM
I use Eset NOD32 (http://www.eset.com/products/nt.htm). It's definitely not the normal AV (I see you've left it off the list ;)), and I'm guessing most people haven't even heard of it, but it does a great job. Right now it's using 2,360 K of RAM. I used NAV for years but hated the bloat. I can barely tell NOD32 is running - oh, but it catches some phishing trojans in my email every week or so (not that I'd open them anyway :P).

FWIW, I use AVG Free on all my other (non-primary) computers. It does the job, and keeps me worry-free. :)

pocketpcadmirer
01-14-2006, 03:30 PM

Same here..nothing but a Zone Alarm Firewall

Sunny

Paul Martin
01-15-2006, 09:52 PM
I use Eset NOD32 (http://www.eset.com/products/nt.htm). It's definitely not the normal AV (I see you've left it off the list ;)),...

I think I left a blank for other for that reason. Ironically, after doing a lot of research, I ended up with NOD32 as well. Glad to be free of the NAV bloat. :mrgreen:

Constant Caffeine
01-18-2006, 09:06 PM
I have Norton Corporate Edition that my employer provided. :mrgreen:

Glohamar
01-19-2006, 03:25 AM
I have been using NOD32 since Sept. 2005 and have been very pleased. Like most I was using Norton, then I heard about NOD32 from Leo LaPorte on his KFI podcast and have not regreted the change.

ctmagnus
01-29-2006, 05:12 AM
Apparently, everyone at Microsoft uses Computer Associates eTrust EZ Antivirus (http://www.tabletpcreviewspot.com/default.asp?newsID=376).

Roosterman
01-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Apparently, everyone at Microsoft uses Computer Associates eTrust EZ Antivirus (http://www.tabletpcreviewspot.com/default.asp?newsID=376).
I don't work at MS but have been using CA for about 3 years. Price has been very reasonable. Haven't been infected yet, but am pretty careful about what I open too. The big thing is it isn't Norton blotalot. It is a huge resourse hog IMO. I used McAfee a long time ago but it was causing lots of problems with my video. Took it off and will never go back. Unfortuneately, my employer uses Mc and it has caused problems with our in house developed software. They also force a weekly full system scan. It essentally shuts down my ability to do any work because it hogs so much of the CPU. As soon as I see my system slowing down, task manager comes up and scan.exe is killed. :evil: When I have let it run, the scan takes well over 3 hours, which is rediculous. IMO, the big name products aren't worth the money you pay for them.

ntractv
02-07-2006, 11:44 PM
I just switched from Norton's to Kaspersky's System Mechanic 6 Professional. I think this is probably the best AV/Firewall and system monitoring and enhancement program I've ever used.

emuelle1
02-08-2006, 03:30 PM
The copy of Norton that came with my laptop is about to run out. I might switch to Avast. A woman in my U of Phoenix class said that McAfee was causing all kinds of problems with her laptop, so she uninstalled it and started running Avast, and most of her problems went away.

I tried Microsoft's One Care Live Beta, but as soon as I realized that it would never give me a "green light" if I didn't turn on automatic updates, I uninstalled it. It seems like a conflict of interest to me anyway, for Microsoft to release the OS and then charge you a subscription fee (after the Beta is over) for protection for holes in the OS. I think the CNET security editor called it "Sopranos Security".