View Full Version : Robust library / transfer management?

aiken
11-27-2005, 02:14 AM
I can't be the only one with this need, but I've been looking all over with no luck.

Like many people, I have all of my CD's on my workstation in MP3 format. About 600 CD's total, which obviously aren't going to fit on my ipaq.

What I'm looking for is an app whereby I can control my mobile library on the ipaq *from* the ipaq, and which will transfer/delete local files as needed. I sync over the internet (properly firewalled, vpn'd, etc), so I'm often thousands of miles from my workstation with its MP3 collection.

It seems this has to be pretty common: I want to tell some app on the ipaq what music selections I want now, and have it deal with downloading/deleting/etc.

Anyone know any app like this?

Thanks
-b

Janak Parekh
11-27-2005, 04:41 AM
Actually, I've never heard anyone ask for this before. ;) It's a pretty good idea, but I haven't heard any solution for it on Pocket PCs at this time.

--janak

aiken
11-27-2005, 10:36 PM
Argh. Well, I was hoping I was just not up to speed on what's out there. Oh well.

I've settled on just using FTP, but it's a pain because it means either manually doing individual files, or taking whole artists and all of their cd's, and then deleting the cd's / songs I don't want. Kind of a pain.

Someone seriously needs to write an iTunes style music library management package for these things, even if it's just FTP on the backend.

Cheers
-b

Janak Parekh
11-27-2005, 11:10 PM
Someone seriously needs to write an iTunes style music library management package for these things, even if it's just FTP on the backend.
I think part of the reason this hasn't been done is some combination of a) lack of storage space; b) lack of good bandwidth. While both are changing, the feasibility of such an idea is relatively new.

--janak

aiken
11-27-2005, 11:44 PM
I think part of the reason this hasn't been done is some combination of a) lack of storage space; b) lack of good bandwidth. While both are changing, the feasibility of such an idea is relatively new.

Seems like a reasonable conclusion. Me, anywhere I'm actually using the ipaq has wifi with at least 1.5Mbps connectivity, and 1GB of SD card is plenty enough for a 6-12 hour plane ride (and 2GB cards are available in case that's not enough), so it seems a natural need. Maybe I'll flashback to my coding days and actually write the thing myself. Or maybe I'll just wait for the inevitable (I hate waiting).

Thanks for the knowledgeable response.

Cheers
-b

bitterroots
09-06-2006, 02:58 AM
I have also been looking for a program like this. Right now I create a playlist with my entire library and synch the playlist with my ppc. I then delete the synchrd music from the playlist. I have heard that the new windows media player will skip files deleted from the ppc but have yet to see this myself.