View Full Version : Upgrading to Pocket PC. Any recommendations?

AE86_Racer
11-24-2005, 06:34 PM
Seeing as the Palm market has gone down the drain, Im looking into a new PDA for college. Too replace my aging Clie. I love my Clie but with the way the processor is acting I cant hang onto it for much longer.

My choices are to get a stock Pocket PC, a pocket PC phone, or a Motorola SmartPhone.

Anyone got any opinions on which way I should go. Id like to have MS PocketWord(or whatever it is now) and Wireless. Those are the primary needs. Id also like to have MP3 playback, voice record options and video playback. A camera wouldnt be bad also....

Ive been considering ASuS and HP. Are they good?

pocketpcadmirer
11-24-2005, 08:06 PM
Hi AE86_Racer !!

Welcome to ppcthoughts, the best pocket pc website in the world :D

I hereby give answers to your queries....

"My choices are to get a stock Pocket PC, a pocket PC phone, or a Motorola SmartPhone"- Well I would say it all depends on your needs. If you already have a phone, then, I would recommend you to stick with it(considering you want to surf internet though it and its BT enabled). If you don't have a BT capable phone or if you simply don't own a phone yet then I would recommend you a Pocket pc phone device.
Without Phone: HP iPAQ 2795
With Phone: XDA o2 mini, XDA o2 S OR XDA o2i

In addition I would like to tell you that whatever pocket pc(or pocket pc phone) u buy, u get MP3 playback(built-in WMP), voice record options and video playback(WMP AND TCPMP(a freeware player)). Camera is though avalible on a couple of pocket pcs but none of them really do justice to the pictures.

Do ask and clear any of your queries. There're a lot of geniuses here(darius,Menneisyys etc). :mrgreen:

Sunny

AE86_Racer
11-24-2005, 08:15 PM
The phone wasnt really a nessesicty, it was a consideration after playing with my friend's MPX220

Are the PPCs with GPS functions any good? Also do PPCs come with Java compatible web browsers?(Flash would be a plus)

Janak Parekh
11-24-2005, 08:23 PM
Seeing as the Palm market has gone down the drain, Im looking into a new PDA for college. Too replace my aging Clie. I love my Clie but with the way the processor is acting I cant hang onto it for much longer.
I'm guessing that, as a college student, budget is one of your key criteria. If so, be careful of the phone-enabled WM devices -- they do tend to cost more for the same functionality (although you can occasionally snag a deal), and you typically need to sign a contract when buying a device. That said, I personally love the integration of phone and PDA.

My choices are to get a stock Pocket PC, a pocket PC phone, or a Motorola SmartPhone...Anyone got any opinions on which way I should go. Id like to have MS PocketWord(or whatever it is now) and Wireless. Those are the primary needs. Id also like to have MP3 playback, voice record options and video playback. A camera wouldnt be bad also....
When you say Motorola Smartphone, are you referring to the MPx220? In any case, Windows Mobile Smartphones do not have Pocket Word built into them, so if that's an important criterion, Pocket PC is the way to go for now. Most modern Pocket PCs and Pocket PC Phones have WiFi support, and all have Pocket Word, MP3/WMA, voice record, and video playback (although the performance of video playback varies widely between devices).

Ive been considering ASuS and HP. Are they good?
They're okay, but I wouldn't constrain myself to just those two. Also take a look at the Dells, the HTC phones, etc. A good start for browsing is www.pocketpc.com -- while it's not complete, it'll give you an idea of the choices out there. If you have more specific criteria, we can make more concrete recommendations (size? screen resolution? gaming? storage? etc.)

Are the PPCs with GPS functions any good? Also do PPCs come with Java compatible web browsers?(Flash would be a plus)
The integrated GPS functions are okay, but I wouldn't consider that my main criterion -- you can always get a Bluetooth GPS unit afterwards if you need to. Integrated GPS is more important if you're going to be a heavy user of it. As for Java/Flash, they're not built into the Pocket PC, although they can be accomplished by third-party applications (you can get a Flash player from Macromedia, and NetFront has limited Java applet support).

--janak

xdev
11-25-2005, 05:16 AM
Do you need phone built in, if so, then just think of the HTC devices (keep in mind unless you get a previous generation model its going to be pretty pricey)

if you need phone, then think about size, can you live with a large ppc phone or do you need a small one. i kind of divide the devices into 2 segments. Full sized models like the XDA, XDA II... and the "small form factor" devices like the o2 xda mini.

if you dont want phone functionality, then go for either the dell x50v/x51v (x50 with the wm5 upgrade is better value i guess) or the new VGA acer

if i was getting a non ppc phone device, i would just consider VGA devices, an d those are the best value ones on the market as far as i can see......wm5 and all the refinements...

especially since you;re used to the resolution of a clie, i wouldnt recommend the large phone devices, or any non vga ppcs.

getting a windows mobile smartphone like the mpx220 probably wouldnt offer the same flexiblity and usability you;re used to on your clie.

AE86_Racer
11-25-2005, 08:23 AM
I had a word with the Dell sales rep at a mall one time. He seemed to know very little about the product and it wasnt as good as the offerings I saw from HP and other manufactuers.

Right now Im more interested in a standalone PDA than a phone.

AE86_Racer
11-25-2005, 08:25 AM
oh and is there a substantial difference between Windows Mobile 5 and 2003 SE

Janak Parekh
11-25-2005, 10:54 PM
I had a word with the Dell sales rep at a mall one time.
When was this? Companies and their products shift over time. Many of our readers like the Dell x50v/x51v products more than many others, including the corresponding iPAQs. By all means get the device you feel is best, but don't base your decision upon one interaction with a sales rep at a kiosk.

--janak

Janak Parekh
11-25-2005, 10:55 PM
oh and is there a substantial difference between Windows Mobile 5 and 2003 SE
Depends on what you're doing, but yes, there are some significant changes. Your best bet is to check out a few reviews of Pocket PCs and of WM5. We've published some (see the ARTICLES), or try a few searches.

--janak

kiwiruss
12-07-2005, 09:39 PM
Pocketpc phones arent quite there in IMHO.

They all have underpowered processors and insufficient rom and ram.

The only half decent ones are the kjam and jasjar. But they cost heaps.

Get on Aximsite.com , go into the forums and look for hardware deals to get the latest coupons for the Axim X51v pda with Windows Mobile5, 256MB of rom and a 625mhc cpu.

List price is $499, But I got minr for $329 Delivered. (including the tax they charged me !

You can usually buy a $35 off $300 or more coupon on ebay for $3 and if you keep an eye out you can get a code on aximsite for 20% off which really sweatens the price.

THere are a few issues with windows mobile 5 but its new and on the whole, its a great os. Since everythings in rom , if your battery goes totally flat you dont loose any data !

AE86_Racer
12-07-2005, 09:46 PM
Id like ot thank you all for your help.

My final decision was to buy an ASuS MyPal 730W. It should be arriving tomorrow. Is it good? bad?

Nurhisham Hussein
12-08-2005, 01:13 AM
About the only thing wrong with that PDA is battery life - it sucks. Otherwise great purchase!