View Full Version : No rumors on HP improving the release date for WM2005 for the Ipaq 4705 ?

genaroleon
11-21-2005, 04:43 AM
Hello Experts... Anyone here might know if HP is improving the release date for the WM2005 ? still spring 06 is the best date ?

Darius Wey
11-21-2005, 06:41 AM
Yes, right now, we're still looking at a Q2 2006 release. Let's hope HP commits to that promise. :)

genaroleon
11-22-2005, 04:44 AM
Txs Darius..... Do you think only HP will improve the ipaq or only the Wm2005 will be new ?

Darius Wey
11-22-2005, 07:03 AM
Txs Darius..... Do you think only HP will improve the ipaq or only the Wm2005 will be new ?

I'm not sure I understand the question?

The upgrade for the hx4700 series will be software-based - i.e. you'll only receive Windows Mobile 5.0. That will enable persistent storage which modifies your device's memory management (RAM will be RAM, Flash ROM will act as non-volatile storage). They won't be rolling out a hardware upgrade for your specific device (if that's what you mean by "improving the iPAQ"). Any so-called hardware improvements will be seen in future models, which HP has yet to announce.

genaroleon
11-25-2005, 03:07 PM
Txs a lot..... That´s what I meant... I wanted to know if a new hardware was going to be released next spring.....

My dilema is that I want to buy an Ipaq 4705 but I wanted to know if a new hardware was going to come out next spring... so it is still a good time to get one I guess.....

Any word on word on new hardware coming out ? maybe in 2007 ¿

Darius Wey
11-25-2005, 04:56 PM
Txs a lot..... That´s what I meant... I wanted to know if a new hardware was going to be released next spring.....

My dilema is that I want to buy an Ipaq 4705 but I wanted to know if a new hardware was going to come out next spring... so it is still a good time to get one I guess.....

Hard to say. HP hasn't made a roadmap publicly available.

Any word on word on new hardware coming out ? maybe in 2007 ¿

Sure. There are plenty of standalone and converged devices being planned by major companies - e.g. Fujitsu-Siemens, HTC, etc.

Phillip Dyson
11-25-2005, 05:40 PM

Just caution. If you're buying one with the expectation of a WM5.0 update, its not unlike HP (or any company I suppose) to change their minds about providing the update.

Not saying they will, but just something to consider.

Darius Wey
11-25-2005, 05:58 PM
Just caution. If you're buying one with the expectation of a WM5.0 update, its not unlike HP (or any company I suppose) to change their minds about providing the update.

Not saying they will, but just something to consider.

Right. Fujitsu-Siemens was willing to offer a Windows Mobile 5.0 upgrade for the LOOX 720, but withdrew it not too long ago.

genaroleon
11-26-2005, 02:59 AM
Let me ask you guys one question,,, and probably this has been discussed may times before...

I have not seen a movie on a Ipaq 4705 or Dell with VGA´s
Is it really good ? I mean they have a very good quality regarding the images ?

Txs.... I just want a PDA with the best performance and VGA.. still not sure for a Ipaq or Dell

Darius Wey
11-26-2005, 03:07 AM
I have not seen a movie on a Ipaq 4705 or Dell with VGA´s
Is it really good ? I mean they have a very good quality regarding the images ?

If you compare it to a QVGA screen, yes, it's excellent. With a typical 640 x 480 video, the VGA screen will produce a crisper, sharper image than a QVGA screen (because you have more pixels on the VGA screen than the QVGA screen). I suggest heading down to a major electronics retailer and comparing the iPAQ hx4700 to a QVGA Pocket PC (they won't have the Axim X51v on show since Dell doesn't sell their products through retailers). Anyway, while you might not be able to test video playback, you can see just how clearer things are on the hx4700's VGA screen.

genaroleon
11-26-2005, 03:30 AM
Txs darius..... And playing a video or quality of the image have nothing to do with the version of the windows mobile being used ?

Darius Wey
11-26-2005, 04:00 AM
Txs darius..... And playing a video or quality of the image have nothing to do with the version of the windows mobile being used ?

Windows Media Player 10.2 in Windows Mobile 5.0 does have some general performance and stability improvements, so you might notice slightly smoother playback over Windows Mobile 2003 SE, but overall, both are more than capable at smooth playback of WMV files (provided you have the CPU to support it - and yes, both the iPAQ hx4700 and Axim X51v have fast enough CPUs).

Of course, there are other players out there - one I highly recommend is TCPMP (http://tcpmp.corecodec.org/) which is capable of playing back many different file formats. Performance is awesome too.