View Full Version : Back In the PPC World!

malcolmsharp
11-21-2005, 03:28 AM
Tomorrow, my Dell 51/v arrives Monday. After years of not being able to own a PPC, I'm getting a top of the line model!

I've kept in touch, and I've always had this site and others in my hot list, but I haven't owned an actual model since my first iPaq, the very first model. I used the hell out of that thing, let me tell you! But when it crapped out, I have never been in a situation where I could justify getting another.

Well, honestly, I'm still not there... but I CAN aford one, if I just stick to baloney sandwiches and such!

So... why am I posting here? A few reasons... first of all, please give me your wonderful advice on what I should do, and what I should expect. I'm getting my model with the normal battery and the extended one, along with the Wi Fi disk and the 3D games one. Did I pick well?

I'm NOT using this for work... other than getting some paper tape type calculator (yes, my job is so boring that this will actually be a help)... so this is stictly me. Games, vid, audio and keeping track of my life. I have a new computer with a TV tuner, so I'm expecting to put TV shows on it, too. It's all about me, baby... and taking the bus to work everyday will be a tad more fun.

The less than practical reason I'm posting is this... I want to feel connected to the group again. I've been an outside observer for way too long! I'm back!

GSmith
11-21-2005, 05:56 AM
For your commute, you may want to take a look at downloading podcasts and videocasts directly to your Axim using FeederReader. It also handles news and blogs as well. Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Greg Smith
Author, FeederReader - Pocket PC *direct* RSS text, audio, video, podcasts
www.FeederReader.com - Download on the Road

kaitanium
11-22-2005, 07:30 PM
i was like you when i got my x50v!

the 3d games are the bomb. try anthelion2 by pdamill when it comes out, theres a public beta out right now. ive got stuntcar extreme, enigmo, georally, solterra all loaded on my x50v and playing at VGA its sweeeet

what the heck is a wifi disk? its already got wifi built in

Sven Johannsen
11-22-2005, 08:49 PM
SD card for files and programs, CF card for media. Is your new PC a Media Center Edition? Makes some things a little easier.

In any case make sure you have MP10 on the desktop. You can create a custom playlist for things like video (TV in the case of MCE) recorded last night, and have it converted and sync'd automatically. You can do the same with audio. If you rate your music with stars, you can get your 5 star tunes loaded. You can add new five star and remove old (downgrade to 4 or 3) and the transferred stuff will update. You can even select the recently added list, and automatically have the CD you bought and ripped last night be on you PPC today, all automatically.

All this is really designed for Portable Media Centers with 20G hard drives, but it works the same on a PPC. You just need to be a bit more careful about quantity.

xdev
11-25-2005, 05:36 AM
i think if some manufacturer made windows mobile powered portable media centres (with maybe 20gb hdd) it would control this "for entertainment, lifestyle, and personal organization" market......

sigh......the palmOS zodiac was close, or even a dell, with their graphics accelerators, but if only they had a large hdd.!

malcolmsharp
11-27-2005, 09:05 PM
thanks for the advice. Loving it so far, and I'm writing this right now from my 51/v at a coffe shop.

Patrick Y.
11-28-2005, 04:02 AM
Welcome back!!!!

Check out http://www.aximsite.com for tips and tricks. Also, there are some common annoying problem on x51v that you should beware of.