View Full Version : rx31715 syncing problem?

poppabutch
11-18-2005, 10:58 PM
I created a problem when using SK tools this morning doing some general maintenance. I normally use Invalid Registry Entry, Invalid Registry Values, Temporary & Cache Folders, Temporary & Junk Files, Bad Shortcuts, and Bad/Old Uninstall Info components every couple of weeks with no incident, but today after completing my exercise, when I went to sync with ver.4.0, I would connect, but then disconnect with the message:

"Cannot Connect"
"unable to connect: You have no modem entries created, and no network card present'

on the IPAQ.

I have ROM version 1.01.11 Eng , OS v. 4.21 w/ a Samsung processor S3C2440. My asset viewer does show a radio present and a MAC address, Firmware v. 1.10.7, Hardware revision TNETW1100B, Driver v. 2.0.53, software v. 2.02.11

I know I might be overkill on the specs, but you can never over communicate.
I think the solution and fix is easy, but I just don't see over the clouds right now.
Thanks in advance!

Nurhisham Hussein
11-19-2005, 01:15 PM
I rather doubt SK Tools is at fault, but you never know. Lots of data there, wish most posters followed your example when asking for help.

You said ver4.0, I take it you mean that you are using AS version 4.0? and it's not clear whether you are trying to connect via USB, bluetooth or wifi.

poppabutch
11-19-2005, 03:01 PM
Thanks for responding, yes, you are correct. I am using OS version 4.21 and normally always sync via USB. I have connectivity via wifi. I do believe the problem is with the IPAQ and not the USB connection. I am not able to connect as on any PC, recieving the same error message, either as my profile, a guest, or new profile.

Nurhisham Hussein
11-19-2005, 04:08 PM
Sorry, I was asking about your Activesync version - I got your OS version from your original post (it corresponds to WM2003SE btw). Activesync 4.0 doesn't support wifi sync.

Since we can rule that out, could you look through your network configuration settings to verify that you have them? Go to Start Menu->Settings->Connections tab->Connections->Advanced tab->Select networks button. There should be two drop down boxes, with a list of connection settings in them. Use the edit button to view the settings, and make a note of them (including which settings were actually selected). The default connection settings are called My ISP and My Work Network.

You could also check the activesync application settings. Go to Start Menu->Programs->Activesync->Tools->Options. In the dropdown box, make sure the computer you're trying to sync with is correctly identified. Also make sure that the "Use mobile schedule..." check box is not selected, and the "Sync with..." check box is selected. Click on the Options button - make sure the "Enable..." button is checked, the drop down list is showing "'USB", and the "Maintain connection" radio box is selected. The last is not strictly necessary, but lets make sure. Click ok and go to the Server tab. Make sure the "Sync with this..." box is clear. Go to the mobile schedule tab and make sure both dropdown boxes are showing "Manually".

Last step, but this is on your PC. Open Activesync, goto File->Connection Settings. Make sure that all the check boxes are ticked, and the drop down box at the top is showing "Com 1".

Let me know how it works out.

poppabutch
11-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Doing all that you had suggested, the results were the same. All were as you had suggested, both on the IPAQ and on the activesync program on the PC.

Nurhisham Hussein
11-20-2005, 05:54 PM
Uggh.

Ok, what I'm going to suggest now is the equivalent of open heart surgery. It's possible that something was changed in the registry that's causing your error. On the other hand it's also possible that you've had a hardware failure of some sort. First, does the 3715 still include iPaq backup? If so make a full backup now. Save the backup file on a storage card, not in RAM or in File Store.

If you don't have iPaq backup, try either Sunnysoft Backup, or Sprite Backup (iPaq Backup is a licensed version of Sprite). Neither have trial versions unfortunately, so you'll have to purchase them (and they aren't cheap either). Install either and make a full backup, again saving the backup file on a storage card. You might also want to keep a copy on your desktop - you can use a card reader for this.

Download and install the following programs:

Tascal Regedit (I'll call this TRE from now on) - http://www2r.biglobe.ne.jp/~tascal/download/pocketpc/tre_e.htm

Idiff -
http://s-k-tools.com/freeware/idiffce.zip

Both are freeware. Make sure they're installed on a storage card, or in File Store. Using TRE, export your registry (call it, say "before hard reset"), and save the file to a storage card or file store.

Do a hard reset. This should clear your RAM and system files and return everything to factory state, with the exception of files stored in your File Store. Test syncing now - don't establish a new partnership yet if it works. We've now established that a registry problem is at fault. If it doesn't work, we've now established that the problem is either on your PC, or your hardware is faulty. For your PC, uninstall and reinstall Activesync (use v3.8 not v4.0). If it still doesn't work, you'll need to contact HP.

If the sync does work after a hard reset, we'll need to establish why. Open up TRE again - since all the settings are lost, you'll need to do this by opening file explorer and navigating directly to the install directory and executing the program - this is the reason for installing on a storage card or file store.

Do another export of the registry (call it "after hard reset", or "Clean"). Open up Idiff, select the "before..." registry file for "File 1", and the "after..."registry file for "File 2". Run the Compare command. The program should output a file called "report.txt" in your My documents folder. View that file. This program will examine the two registry files and print out the differences between the two. You'll want to look at entries that are available in the "after..." file that aren't present in the "before..." file. This is the hard part because you'll need to note down the exact changes, as you'll need to input/import them into the registry later.

For general registry hacking I've always used TRE's import function - it saves a lot of hassle and reduces the chances for error. You'll need to read this article for compatible registry formats:

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/blogs/menneisyys/UltimateRoundupOfRegistryEditors.asp

To save time, I would open up one of the registry files you've already exported (the "after..." file), isolate the changes you want made, and resave it under another name (say "fixes"). It's very important that whichever app you use to do the fixes (and you can use your desktop PC for this, my preference is Wordpad), that the file be saved as plain text with the *.reg file type. You can then transfer the file to your PDA, click it, and the changes will be input into your registry.

Once you have that import file ready, you'll need to do three things.

1. Since your PDA has been hard reset, the clock will revert to its original factory time. You need to reset this to current time, which will resolve some issues with program licenses.

2. Do a complete restore from the backup file you created earlier. Unfortunately under Activesync 3.8, this means that on syncing (using the merge files option), some duplicate entries will be created in Outlook, but this is a small price to pay for getting your PDA back in working condition. You'll probably need to find a duplicate remover, just Google for it as there are some freeware programs available that can do this.

3. Open TRE, goto View->Options, and press the "Set" button. Close TRE, open File Explorer, navigate to where you placed your import file, and click on it. A popup should appear asking for confirmation. Click yes.

4. NOW try syncing your PDA.

I would suggest if the above does work, to sync all your data and files with your PC, hard reset, and rebuild your PDA from scratch. Messing with the registry in this fashion is risky and could cause other problems with other applications.

Alternatively, if you actually have a backup made prior to the problem occuring, I'd suggest a hard reset, and then test your connectivity. If it works, restore that backup (bear in mind the system clock change) and test it again. This is only if the data you've input into your PDA between the backup time and the problem happening is something you're willing to lose.

Last alternative - hard reset and build from scratch. Again you'll lose the data between your last sync and the point where you hard reset.

If it seems like I've done all this before, it's because I have :lol:

Hope this helps, and remember the golden rule of using a Pocket PC - backup, backup, backup. I use Sprite religiously every day now, keeping at least the last two days backup files in case of problems. This has saved me a lot of grief quite a few times over the last two years. I learned this lesson when my first PDA corrupted the files on my SD card, and I lost six months worth of notes which I hadn't synced. Be warned and be prepared!

poppabutch
11-21-2005, 01:26 PM
After an additional three hours of attempting to install both Sprite and TRE, i decided to hard reset and start from scratch.
since i couldn't connect, I couldn't install. I had all of my programs, (major ones anyway), and i knew my calendar, contacts, etc. would install after sync.
I wanted to be able to diagnosis as you had laid out for the education of why and how. Luckily, it was a registry problem and as with everything we do, this was a learning lesson. Ironic, but I back up my laptop, twice weekly, but never thought to B/U my right hand.
It has been a pleasure. Thank you!

Nurhisham Hussein
11-21-2005, 02:30 PM
Ah, :oops: my bad! I should've thought of that. Glad you found the whole experience interesting!

You can actually do a manual install without involving Activesync by grabbing the relevant *.cab files, transferring to a storage card, and installing direct from the storage card onto your PDA. The same guy who did SKTools actually wrote a pretty nifty freeware program that also allows you control over where the installation occurs as well (the default is to install into RAM). You can get cabinstl at the top of this page:

http://www.s-k-tools.com/util.html

You can get the *.cab files by running the desktop installers without syncing your PDA. The installers will usually deposit all the required files into C:\Program Files\* or alternatively C:\Program Files\Microsoft Activesync\*, typically in their own program folder. For the most part, identifying the correct cab file is usually pretty straightforward - they will almost always have "arm" in the filename (all current Pocket PCs are based on the ARM architecture, MIPS and SH3/SH2 cab files are for programs that have backward compatibility to those processors).