View Full Version : Bluetooth phone, Bluetooth iPaq, GPRS & dialup

axe
11-18-2005, 10:04 PM
Hi all
I was hoping someone could help me set my iPaq up for low speed connection using my Nokia 6820. What I mean by low-speed is I have the GPRS working and it is FAST, which is great, however that costs me $/Kb. Since I don't expect to use it much for high data usage, mostly quick maps or MSN, at least initially, I want to set my iPaq up with a dialup provider and simply use my phone as a modem and clock it against my airtime (unlimited evenings and weekends). unfortunately I cannot find the settings to put into the config, and Rogers won't help me.
I found links to and AT&T site (now defunct) that would give me a config util for a PPC, but it is not available.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cybrid
11-21-2005, 09:25 PM
Hi all
I was hoping someone could help me set my iPaq up for low speed connection using my Nokia 6820. What I mean by low-speed is I have the GPRS working and it is FAST, which is great, however that costs me $/Kb. Since I don't expect to use it much for high data usage, mostly quick maps or MSN, at least initially, I want to set my iPaq up with a dialup provider and simply use my phone as a modem and clock it against my airtime (unlimited evenings and weekends). unfortunately I cannot find the settings to put into the config, and Rogers won't help me.
I found links to and AT&T site (now defunct) that would give me a config util for a PPC, but it is not available.

Any help would be appreciated.It's....not pretty either way. My experience is based with Telus but do not think that Rogers would be that much different.

I started with a CDPD cable connection at 14.4kbps and the a dedicated Cf modem and the back to cable for 1xRTT high speed. Given the expense, I always remained a lite user of the service and you really aren't going to save much one way or the other. Slow is significantly slower....and if it goes against your regular minutes....it'll burn up quite a few.
Ask your "dialup provider " for your dialup settings.
On PPC by cable? Hayes compatrible on COM1.

axe
11-22-2005, 02:16 PM
HI Cybrid
Thanx. I called Rogers and after bouncing between three depts, I finally got an answer though not the right one :(. They said their network isn't configured to handle the CDPD connections. I even tried asking about Faxing using my phone figuring business people would want that enough that Rogers might support it and give me the info. They said they didn't support that either. Since 'not supporting' and not capable are two different things, and probably not something they want to advertise that it is possible if not preferable considering the $$ they soak you for on GPRS, I haven't given up hope.
My last call will be to Nokia. If they can't help me then I will stop looking and maybe figure out how much it will cost me to do things like mapquest directions et al and whether the $3 for 300K is worth it or more...
Thanx for your help, and yeah, while your cable hack is ingenious, it didn't seem terribly pretty, though I do have a CF modem...
ttyl

Cybrid
11-22-2005, 11:58 PM
HI Cybrid
Thanx. I called Rogers and after bouncing between three depts, I finally got an answer though not the right one :(. They said their network isn't configured to handle the CDPD connections. I even tried asking about Faxing using my phone figuring business people would want that enough that Rogers might support it and give me the info. They said they didn't support that either. Since 'not supporting' and not capable are two different things, and probably not something they want to advertise that it is possible if not preferable considering the $$ they soak you for on GPRS, I haven't given up hope.
My last call will be to Nokia. If they can't help me then I will stop looking and maybe figure out how much it will cost me to do things like mapquest directions et al and whether the $3 for 300K is worth it or more...
Thanx for your help, and yeah, while your cable hack is ingenious, it didn't seem terribly pretty, though I do have a CF modem...
ttylWhoops. :blush: my reminisce misled you. Sorry. CDPD is an old competing tech.
The companies used different technology and techniques
Telus=CDPD>1xRTT>EVDO
Roger=gsm>gprs>UMTS?>HSPDA?
and before Bluetooth....everyone used cables.
http://www.gomadic.com/
It'd have nothing to do with a CF modem.

Try this,

Ask Rogers if there is a lower cost alternative to GPRS. I don't know if GSM is capable of data but they could tell you.
If not, and only then..... try the next steps
Find out what virtual Bluetooth com you are connected to your cellphone with.
Create a nearly identical connection to your dialup (the one you're using with the CF modem) and instead of the CF modem instruct it to connect to the Bluetooth com port.
Honestly, I'd be suprised if it worked.