View Full Version : ActiveSync 4.1 Released

Jason Dunn
11-18-2005, 09:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/downloads/activesync41.mspx' target='_blank'>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmob...tivesync41.mspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"ActiveSync 4.1 is the latest sync software release for Windows Mobile 5.0 devices. Microsoft ActiveSync provides a great synchronization experience with Windows-based PCs and Microsoft Outlook right out of the box. ActiveSync acts as the gateway between your Windows-based PC and Windows Mobile-based device, enabling the transfer of Outlook information, Office documents, pictures, music, videos and applications from your desktop to your device. In addition to synchronizing with a desktop PC, ActiveSync can synchronize directly with Microsoft Exchange Server 2003 so that you can keep your e-mail, Calendar, Notes, and Contacts updated wirelessly when you’re away from your PC."</i><br /><br />The <i>official</i> release of ActiveSync 4.1 is here, so if you have a Windows Mobile 5 device, grab it - especially if you've had problems with USB connections. If you're using an older device, it's probably best to stick with version 3.x so you can keep WiFi sync.

jngold_me
11-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Figures. I can't get it to run. I keep getting an install shield dialog box.

Phillip Dyson
11-18-2005, 09:40 PM
"Microsoft ActiveSync provides a great synchronization experience with Windows-based PCs and Microsoft Outlook right out of the box.."

Huh? 8O
Whats this guy smoking? When has the activesync experience ever been described as great.

I don't use version 4.x but I'll bet there wont be any real users using the word great. Maybe "Whew! What a relief! Some of this stuff works now" But great?

brianchris
11-18-2005, 09:44 PM
OK, so I have a WM2003 device, BUT I don't use WiFi sync. I used to, but don't anymore thanks to Hosted Exchange (www.eoutlook).

SO, given that I don't need WiFi sync, are there other reasons why I shouldn't go to Active Sync 4.1?

I agree the WiFi sync is a big reason not to upgrade, but for those of us where that is not an issue, are there other resons not upgrade to 4.1? Generally, upgrading is good, right? (except for WiFi sync).

Its not that I live to upgrade to newer software versions either, its just that, as luck would have it, I'm about to preform a clean install on my laptop, and when I do that, I genereally like to put the latest versions of the software I use on. Thanks in advance!

Raphael Salgado
11-18-2005, 09:47 PM
I'm at work right now, so I can't install this version. Can anyone tell me if it's the same build as the leaked 4807?

PPCRules
11-18-2005, 09:50 PM
Version 4.1.0 Build 4841

Works for me.

Jason Dunn
11-18-2005, 09:50 PM
Whats this guy smoking? When has the activesync experience ever been described as great.

It's called marketing speak, also known as "optimized reality". ;-)

Phillip Dyson
11-18-2005, 09:59 PM
also known as "optimized reality". ;-)

:lol:

MerlinAZ
11-18-2005, 10:02 PM
SO, given that I don't need WiFi sync, are there other reasons why I shouldn't go to Active Sync 4.1?

If I were you, I'd ask if there are any reasons you should.
If you're syncing fine now, I'd leave it alone, especially since you don't have a WM5 device.
I'd upgrade only when forced to.

Jacob
11-18-2005, 10:09 PM

If I were you, I'd ask if there are any reasons you should.
If you're syncing fine now, I'd leave it alone, especially since you don't have a WM5 device.
I'd upgrade only when forced to.

Agreed - even the MS site says that people who don't have WM5 should stay with AS 3.8.

Jason Dunn
11-18-2005, 10:11 PM

Zero improvements for 2003 devices. Don't upgrade.

MitchellO
11-18-2005, 10:12 PM
I find AS4.1 to be much better than 4.0.

bigkingfun
11-18-2005, 11:02 PM

I upgraded to AS 4.0 with a 2003SE unit (x50v) and I couldn't get my device to sync with my hosted Exchange account from the cradle. I tried everything I could think of with no luck. Going back to AS 3.8 solved the problem, so I would caution you against it if you're using a hosted Exchange service.

Paragon
11-18-2005, 11:12 PM

Friends don't let friends use AS 4.x unless they have a WM5.0 device and have to.

Dave

Ed Hansberry
11-18-2005, 11:27 PM

I upgraded to AS 4.0 with a 2003SE unit (x50v) and I couldn't get my device to sync with my hosted Exchange account from the cradle. I tried everything I could think of with no luck. Going back to AS 3.8 solved the problem, so I would caution you against it if you're using a hosted Exchange service.
Just an FYI - I had no problems with my Exchange 2003 server from the cradle, in or out of the network. Hosted Exchange should be the same thing as that is jsut E2003 Enterprise. But if you went back to 3.8 and things are working, then that means you don't have WM5 and should stick with 3.8. 4.0/4.1 offers you nothing new and you lose category filtering, removing completed tasks from the device and wifi sync.

davetreo300600
11-18-2005, 11:46 PM
Agreed - even the MS site says that people who don't have WM5 should stay with AS 3.8.

What if you have both a WM2005 deivce (eg the HP ipaq 1955) and a WM2005 device,(eg the HP ipaq 4705). I believe that when you install AS 4.0 (or 4.1) that you have to uninstall AS 3.8. But then how can you sync both devices on the same computer?

Ed Hansberry
11-18-2005, 11:49 PM

What if you have both a WM2005 deivce (eg the HP ipaq 1955) and a WM2005 device,(eg the HP ipaq 4705). I believe that when you install AS 4.0 (or 4.1) that you have to uninstall AS 3.8. But then how can you sync both devices on the same computer?
When you have both, get 4.1. You have no choice, or you can't sync the WM5 device. 4.1 doesn't break PPC 2003 devices, it just adds no value so there is no reason go get it if 2003 is all you have.

Mike Dimmick
11-18-2005, 11:56 PM
Sadly, developers have to upgrade to use the new tools: Visual Studio 2005 does not work with ActiveSync 3.x.

ombu
11-19-2005, 12:13 AM
4.0/4.1 offers you nothing new and you lose category filtering, removing completed tasks from the device and wifi sync.
:?: ... well, I can see the WiFi issue but I can still remove completed tasks and filter categories, maybe I'm missing something here ...

By the way, I'm running WM 2003 and 4.1 goes as it's supposed to and is much faster than 3.8, the latter is enough for some users like me to update, I think.

Regards.

urologyhealth
11-19-2005, 12:16 AM
i just upgraded and it seems definitely faster.

But, both before and after this upgrade--when my QTEK is NOT connected to PC --when I look at running programs Active Sync persists even after I stop it.

Any ideas--it is using memory I believe because transiently when I stop it--memory percent increases??

huangzhinong
11-19-2005, 01:07 AM
I am using AS4.1 and PPC 2003SE (x30), I can confirm the data sync is much faster than v3.8, although MS stated that the faster syncing is only for WM5 devices. I don't have problem with AS4.1 at all. But never mind, I didn't have problem with AS3.8 and previous versions neither.

Sven Johannsen
11-19-2005, 02:28 AM
With 4.1, and prior to WM5 devices, all you should lose is the Wifi Sync. All the usual options in AS remain with a WM2003SE or earlier device connected.

As far as speed increase, if indeed there is any for legacy devices it is either perceived or incidental. The expected increase in speed for WM5 devices is due to rearchitecting the protocol on both the PPC and PC. The earlier devices don't support the new protocol, are being serviced as they always were and thus shouldn't see any increase.

While I too have a general feeling that newer is better, when it comes to AS, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Ed Hansberry
11-19-2005, 02:29 AM
4.0/4.1 offers you nothing new and you lose category filtering, removing completed tasks from the device and wifi sync.
:?: ... well, I can see the WiFi issue but I can still remove completed tasks and filter categories, maybe I'm missing something here ...
Ok, so if you have 2003 and AS4, you keep the category filter/completed task removal. WM5 then on AS4 loses that functionality. THanks.

Darius Wey
11-19-2005, 02:37 AM
But, both before and after this upgrade--when my QTEK is NOT connected to PC --when I look at running programs Active Sync persists even after I stop it.

Are you manually stopping it, or are you just assuming it's stopped once you remove your device from the cradle? ActiveSync is designed to run in the background regardless of whether you have a sync connection established or not. If you want to stop it completely, you will have to go into Settings and end the program through the Memory applet.

ombu
11-19-2005, 03:18 AM
Ok, so if you have 2003 and AS4, you keep the category filter/completed task removal. WM5 then on AS4 loses that functionality. THanks.
I'm collecting reasons why to wait for WM2005SE, maybe I'm just getting older and the part of me that's gone forever is the 'early adopter' personality. :cry:

davetreo300600
11-19-2005, 03:23 AM
thx for the feedback on the dual device issue

urologyhealth
11-19-2005, 04:22 AM
Darius,

I am manually stopping it--which occurs momentarily and then when I check again in memory it is running??

Darius Wey
11-19-2005, 09:59 AM
I am manually stopping it--which occurs momentarily and then when I check again in memory it is running??

Are you manually stopping it using Start > Settings > Memory > Running Programs > "Stop", or are you using a task manager? If the latter, it's more than likely that the task manager has been configured to ignore ActiveSync when you "close it". Now if it's the former, then there's probably an application which continues to kickstart ActiveSync even after you close it - maybe because it's been set to auto-update every few minutes.

thenikjones2
11-19-2005, 11:32 AM

Are you manually stopping it using Start > Settings > Memory > Running Programs > "Stop", or are you using a task manager? If the latter, it's more than likely that the task manager has been configured to ignore ActiveSync when you "close it". Now if it's the former, then there's probably an application which continues to kickstart ActiveSync even after you close it - maybe because it's been set to auto-update every few minutes.

I also find ActiveSync keeps relaunching itself, after closing it through the Memory applet. I can't trace the application the re-opens it on my JasjAr. If anyone does, please post!

urologyhealth
11-19-2005, 02:09 PM
I am doing it manually exactly as you describe, in fact this morning i just turned on the phone and ACTIVE SYNC is running. I do not use task manager to close it. Other programs installed are: SpB Pocket Plus, audible player,and VOICE COMMAND. I suspect it's WM5. ??

Sven Johannsen
11-19-2005, 05:08 PM
As you probably noticed on a WM5 device, when it connected to the PC, AS pops up and does a sync about every 5 min. That's by design. It also does the traditional instant sync when something changes. We have discussed this behavior with the AS team and I brought up the issue with not being able to turn the PPC off to charge via USB, because it just turns itself back on. (Still charges, but I wanted it off). I expect that AS starting itself when it is not connected is a fallout of the timed sync behaviour. Right now there isn't anything you can do about it AFAIK. Only thing I could imagine is if there is some reg hack that sets the timing of the autosync, maybe it could be set to off, but I have no info that anything like that exists.

There was a suggestion to turn off USB sync in AS to prevent the connection while cabled, so you could charge and stay off. Haven't tried that yet, but I hesitate to make some realatively buried change that prevents syncing. I'd forget to change it back.

So right now I am going to live with it staying on if connected, I'll charge from a wall wart if I just want to charge, and I''ll just not worry about AS running. It does go in the list of "This isn't helping" items.

Clinton Fitch
11-19-2005, 05:26 PM
Well I upgraded last night to 4.1 and it does seem to be a bit faster on sync and is detecting the USB connection from the cradle far better.

Glad to see this released...

Ed Hansberry
11-19-2005, 08:25 PM
just to add to the observations on AS on the WM5 devices, it seems to be less of an app and more of a service. It seems the device can't be more than a minute or two after a soft reset and AS is running in the background. For those syncing aginst a server, this is probably a good thing as the device is always ready to sync. for the rest, it probably doesn't matter much. whether or not the UI is listed in the programs running, I suspect much of the app is already loaded.

PetiteFlower
11-19-2005, 08:30 PM
There is a way to keep AS from starting itself when you're not connected to a computer.

Go to Tools-> Add Server Source, and enter a dummy server name. When it says it's attempting to contact server to verify settings, click Skip. Once it finishes saving your settings, Schedule will be magically enabled. Set the schedule to Manual, then you can go and delete the fake server you just created. AS will, however, save your schedule settings and you shouldn't have any more problems with it starting itself. Worked for me so far anyway.

Courtesy of the folks at Aximsite :)

pocket1
11-19-2005, 09:24 PM
Does anyone know if the installation of 4.1 (over existing 4.0) requires a new partnership to be set up? If not then this should be a pretty seamless 'upgrade'.

Ed Hansberry
11-19-2005, 09:39 PM
very seamless. I installed 4.1 over 4.0, rebooted as it asked. Signed in and docked my device. It whent through the USB device installation stuff as if it was a new device then AS just spun for several minutes. Undocked and docked and it immediately hooked up and sync'd. No changes to the partnership necessary.

Darius Wey
11-20-2005, 03:23 AM
I upgraded from v4.0 to v4.1, and it broke the USB connection on one of my devices. Nothing would fix the problem, so I had to uninstall v4.1, then hop into the registry and manually delete a few Windows Mobile-based LAN entries, some ActiveSync entries, some USB-based entries, then reinstall v4.1 before my device could connect again.

ActiveSync never likes me, so treat my upgrade path as a one-off. It's meant to be seamless. :P

Muntasser
11-20-2005, 06:21 PM
working well so far. only issue is with the constant desire to sync. i want it to sync on my command, not when it feels like aka every 5 minutes

miterb
11-20-2005, 07:51 PM
My wife is using my old Casio E-125 for accessing complete TV schedules since TV Guide dropped the service last month. I have an Axim X50v and would like to upgrade to 5.0 eventually. If I jump to ActiveSync 4.1, will the Casio be able to sync? It is running Win CE 3.0 but I believe it is considered to be a 2000 device (Mips processor). Any positive advice would be great! Any negative advice means I'll have to spring for an Axim X51 for her - $299...

nev308
11-21-2005, 05:50 PM
I have an XDA Exec running Windows mobile 5 and have been having all sorts of USB syncing problems. When I saw that 4.1 had been released to solve exactly these issues I immediately downloaded and installed it ... but ... guess what, it doesn't work. It now doesn't even try to connect to the XDA, at least in the past it made an effort and occaisionally succeeded.

nev308
11-21-2005, 06:01 PM
Also, having installed 4.1, when I connect the XDA it seems to wait for about 5 mins before starting to charge. It used to start charging straight away ... oh joy!

PetiteFlower
11-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Version 4.1 works for me, but syncing takes FOREVER!

Darius Wey
11-22-2005, 02:13 AM
I have an XDA Exec running Windows mobile 5 and have been having all sorts of USB syncing problems. When I saw that 4.1 had been released to solve exactly these issues I immediately downloaded and installed it ... but ... guess what, it doesn't work. It now doesn't even try to connect to the XDA, at least in the past it made an effort and occaisionally succeeded.

I assume you've read this? http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/help/activesync/default.mspx

I know v4.1 is supposed to solve these issues, but it's still worth reading through just in case.

emuelle1
11-22-2005, 01:25 PM
It's almost ironic. I'm taking a class on Project Planning and Implementation at the University of Phoenix. Last night I finished the chapter on quality management. I even used Windows 95 as an example in the discussion newsgroup. Next time the subject comes up, I might use ActiveSync.

I guess I'll stick with 3.8 for my x30. Have we ever come to a conclusion about what the difference was between 3.7 and 3.8?

erussell
11-26-2005, 12:12 AM
Just updated to 4.1 - works fine

Dell Axim X51v