View Full Version : Nokia Buying Intellisync In Bid To Go After Enterprise

Ed Hansberry
11-17-2005, 03:00 PM
<a href="http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8DTKO404.htm?campaign_id=apn_tech_down&amp;chan=tc">http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D8DTKO404.htm?campaign_id=apn_tech_down&amp;chan=tc</a><br /><br /><i>"Intellisync Corp. on Wednesday said it agreed to be acquired by Nokia Corp., the world's top cell-phone maker, for about $430 million. Under the deal, Nokia will pay stockholders $5.25 for each Intellisync share, a 5 percent discount to its Tuesday closing price of $5.54."</i><br /><br />Well, being bought at a discount to current price stinks for existing shareholders. :? Intellisync has a server product that works with various mobile devices that Nokia plans to combine with its Nokia Business Center Software. The deal should close in three to four months. Nothing has been said on what will happen with software Intellisync makes that is <a href="http://www.intellisync.com/pages/Products/Intellisync-Handheld-Edition/For-Individuals/">targeted at individuals</a>.

Phillip Dyson
11-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Nothing has been said on what will happen with software Intellisync makes that is targeted at individuals (http://www.intellisync.com/pages/Products/Intellisync-Handheld-Edition/For-Individuals/).

Hopefully someone will remember that they still have a product for individuals. I use the latest version at work because its the only product that I can find with 2-way category filtering.

Its a pretty burdensome application. Sometimes it works, then one day it decides to fail constantly. There's no suppport for smartphones after Smartphone 2002. And arbitrarily it will stop sync-ing specific items (most notably re-occurring Tasks and/or Appointments).

If Microsoft would only add category filtering to ActiveSync then I could drop the product altogether.

Gator5000e
11-17-2005, 03:51 PM
Although it is clunky, it does fill a niche. I use it for syncing to Public Folders (Calendar) that I share with a secretary. If this product goes away, I don't know what I will do if I want to move up to the new WM 5.0 devices. Is there anything out there that will sync to Public Folders with AS 4 and WM5?

ctmagnus
11-17-2005, 09:32 PM
If Microsoft would only add category filtering to ActiveSync then I could drop the product altogether.

You mean like the "Synchronize only those appointments/contacts/tasks in the following selected categories" feature of ActiveSync?

Phillip Dyson
11-18-2005, 12:25 AM

You mean like the "Synchronize only those appointments/contacts/tasks in the following selected categories" feature of ActiveSync?

That filtering is only one-way. Its purpose was to save space on the device. However the filter does not apply to items on the device.

I sync with my home computer and my work computer. I want my work mixed in with my personal stuff, but I don't want my personal stuff on my work computer.

Enter Intellisync to prevent my personal stuff from transferring from my PDA to my work computer, yet transfer and sync (usually) my work stuff to my PDA. 2-Way filtering.

ctmagnus
11-18-2005, 04:06 AM
Ah. Gotcha. ;)

I've only ever used ActiveSync and only considered IntelliSync once, long, long ago. So I have no experience with it.

Airscanner
11-18-2005, 06:26 PM
Sounds like they may have bought it for a bargain. Probably 95% of enterprises that use our pocket pc antivirus are running Intellisync. From my experience it seems to be the current de facto standard.

It would be nice if Microsoft decides to develop their own version of Intellisync. But I'm not sure if they want to get into that.

Has anyone tried Mobicontrol from SOTI? If so, how did you like it?

Brad

Menneisyys
11-19-2005, 07:43 AM
Has anyone tried Mobicontrol from SOTI? If so, how did you like it?

I haven't had the chance to test it as yet; though, I don't think it has PIM synchronization/filtering capabilities.

wirelessbeachbum
11-23-2005, 02:44 AM
I'm wondering how this is going to play out...Verizon has a big investment in Wireless Sync, and that investment is growing now that they are offering a server edition. Verizon has very little Nokia product, primarly because of Nokia's quirks with CDMA in the past...so it's going to be interesting to see how this all plays out... In fact they currently only offer one Nokia model, which is a basic little candy bar.

With this purchase by Nokia, Rim's NTP suite, Microsoft's SP2 quirks with WM5 and Goodlinks' change in distribution.

Enterprise wireless email is all over the place.