View Full Version : Help PLEASE!!

Patrick Y.
11-16-2005, 05:07 AM
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=aximgensw&message.id=18140

I'm having the exact some problem. Someone please help me!

Thanks a million

Darius Wey
11-16-2005, 08:06 AM
Have you tried shutting down your software firewalls or creating an exception for Dell's update application? If there's a barrier in communication between your PC and Pocket PC, you're bound to experience problems with the upgrade.

Patrick Y.
11-16-2005, 08:14 AM
Thank you for replying, I will try to see if it works. Though, I found couple people over at Aximsite having the same problem.

And here is the window I got stucked in. The upgrade utility just won't proceed.

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=8604

Also, I also got a messed up BIS after the failed upgrade. It turns out that the upgrade utility copied the ROM image into the ROM first before actually installing it. As it fail to install the upgrade, the additional ROM image still left in the BIS. Now, I only have 3 MB of memory left. Help!

:cry:

Darius Wey
11-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Thank you for replying, I will try to see if it works. Though, I found couple people over at Aximsite having the same problem.

And here is the window I got stucked in. The upgrade utility just won't proceed.

http://www.aximsite.com/boards/attachment.php?attachmentid=8604

Yep, if you're stuck at that screen, it's more than likely a firewall issue. Check the settings of your firewall, including the default Windows Firewall.

Also, I also got a messed up BIS after the failed upgrade. It turns out that the upgrade utility copied the ROM image into the ROM first before actually installing it. As it fail to install the upgrade, the additional ROM image still left in the BIS. Now, I only have 3 MB of memory left. Help!

That's consistent with most upgrade procedures. The image is copied to the device and then the device "writes" it. If you start over, the upgrade application should be able to wipe the existing image on there, copy the new one over, and flash successfully.

PetiteFlower
11-16-2005, 03:19 PM
One step of the upgrade process (probably the one that took the longest too) was reformatting the remaining ROM, so don't worry about that :)

Rather then trying to fiddle with your firewall, I would just try disabling it (and Norton) for the duration of the upgrade. You might even try booting into Safe Mode and doing the upgrade from that, if turning off the firewalls doesn't work.

Personally, I'm behind a router so I don't bother with a software firewall...I like to live dangerously ;)

Sven Johannsen
11-16-2005, 04:17 PM
If it's not already you might also try plugging your USB into a port directly on the PC for the upgrade. Inexplicably this often has beneficial effects.

Patrick Y.
11-16-2005, 05:21 PM
If it's not already you might also try plugging your USB into a port directly on the PC for the upgrade. Inexplicably this often has beneficial effects.

yeah, it's directly pluged into the USB port.

Anyway, thanks guys!! I will try your solutions as fast as possible. Seriously, one of you guys worthes more than 30 dell support agents.

cab124
11-16-2005, 08:30 PM
Any luck, Patrick? Did you get your upgrade running??

Patrick Y.
11-17-2005, 07:12 AM
Thank you guys! Sorry to keep you hanging. Sadly, none of the solutions you guys provided works. I'm currently trying to find out more about this problem. Thank you though!!

Patrick Y.
11-18-2005, 03:46 AM
Ok.. Still no luck. I'm getting sick of playing around with the computer. I decided to hold off the upgrade. I might call dell support, but I doubt that they will be much help.

Does anyone one knows how to delete the extra ROM on the BIS? Since the update utility won't procceed after it copy the extra ROM image into the device, it also didn't delete the extra ROM. Now, I have two ROM on my BIS and it totally mess up the device. I only have 3 MB of storage left.