View Full Version : My internal conflict over convergence

Phillip Dyson
11-13-2005, 07:41 PM
My internal conflict over convergence

Like many people in these forums I'd been resisting the siren of convergence. I was well aware that moving over to a Phone Edition PDA would require several feature set sacrifices on my part. The specific features varied depending on which device I chose.

Large Screen
VGA
Powerful processor
Dual expansion slots
Memory
And perhaps other smaller ones.

Because of this, I went with a vary popular setup. Standalone PDA (Toshiba e830) and bluetooth phone (in my case Smartphone, Audiovox SMT5600). This seemed to suffice... for awhile.

Certain irritations started to close in on me.
Carrying two devices became burdensome. The fact that I like to have my PDA with me most of the time put me in a position of always trying to find a place to put both devices. This one on my belt, that one in my pocket...

Keeping both devices upto date with my PIM data. At home it was just a matter of sync one device. Unplug it. Then sync the other. But at work, I use Intellisync to provide me with 2-way category filtering. Call me paranoid, but I don't like the idea of having my personal data on the corporate Exchange Servers. Technically once its there it belongs to the company. Anyway... this basically created a scenario where my smartphone was outdated as soon as I left home (PDA to PDA sync would be great) so through the day I couldn't just leave one device and carry the other.

Connectivity. It got to the point where I didn't like the idea of having to
wait for my two devices to connected over bluetooth before my Toshiba could surf or check email. Envy over my co-workers XDA with its constant connectivity bore down on me. I even tried a GPRS CF card, but it just became something else to carry around. It went back to the store.

So... with these items in mind, I succumbed to the lure of convergence. For the last several months I put aside my e830 and 5600 and carried around a brand new E-Ten m500.

The m500 is a great device and it definitely alleviated all of my annoyances listed above. With several 3rd party applications I was able to create a pretty decent one-handed experience. My plan was to use it for awhile until the WM5.0 devices came out then upgrade. My girlfriend even aske me if I would let her keep the m500. I told her that I'd let her do a test run for awhile to see if she liked it.

So all was good... for awhile...
The longer I had the m500, the more demands I put on it. More applications... more responsibilities. Finally I got to a point where sometimes it would soft reset when an it got an incoming call. I came to realize that it wasn't the workhorse that I unknowingly was trying to make it out to be. Standing memory (if I was lucky) was about 11mb after a soft reset.

Then there was the screen. As a convergence device its the perfect size. But I began to miss the large bright screen of my e830. I think it had something to do with the great themes, skins, and icons that people like Juni and PocketInformant were putting into their applications. I couldn't really see them. I wanted to see them.

So to make a long story short... 8O
I've decided to use the e830 and smt5600 again for awhile to see it two
devices is really what I want. I tried to use the e830 and m500 but the m500 didn't expose a DUN bluetooth profile so I could use it as a modem.

After about a week...
Its still a hassle sometimes having to carry two devices. But at work I stick my e830 into a portfolio with a pad when I'm going to meetings.

Keeping the devices update is a little easier now because I use 4smartphone.net to host my personal exchange data. I started that while I was using the m500. The only annoyance is that Mobile Activesync wont send my work appointments to the 4smartphone.net server. Not sure why. Maybe it has trouble with the fact that the appointments have attendees that are not in my personal contacts. {shrug}

For the most part, the part that bothers me the most is the fickleness of the bluetooth on my e830. Sometimes I have to do a soft reset to have it start up properly. Its possible that it doesn't like calligrapher. Not sure.

So where does this leave me...

Well, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to still buy another device. I'm just
not sure what. Or how many? Having tried every flavor or Windows Mobile (except PMP), I like them all. And there are new devices for each flavor coming out that peak my interest. I'm pretty sure buying 3 new devices is pretty close to some for of insanity. :worried: Maybe even buying 2 is bad.

{sigh} Dilemnas... dilemnas...

Anyone have similar experiences? Advice? Taunting?

But if nothing else, thanks for listening... :wink:

Patrick Y.
11-13-2005, 08:29 PM
Maybe M600? :wink:

Nurhisham Hussein
11-14-2005, 02:08 AM
Good rant :D

I'm a two device person myself, for pretty much the same reasons - I can't get a single device that fully meets my needs. I haven't gone through quite the effort you have though - the only thing I sync on my phone is contacts, everyhting else is on my PDA.

For the most part, the part that bothers me the most is the fickleness of the bluetooth on my e830. Sometimes I have to do a soft reset to have it start up properly. Its possible that it doesn't like calligrapher. Not sure.

I'd take that as confirmed actually, though I wouldn't necessarily fault bluetooth. The toshiba isn't the only device that has trouble with bluetooth/calligrapher - we've (at firstloox.org) had the same problem with the Loox720. It gets worse for people with WA2 - because it uses large dlls as well.

Phillip Dyson
11-14-2005, 02:39 AM
Maybe M600? :wink:

Actually I've been looking at the m600 as an upgrade to the m500. I am a little concerned with the m500 not exposing the DUN bluetooth profile. Plus if I start carrying around my e830 again then I've got wifi. Perhaps some of the other devices would suffice. I would be nice to get WM5.0 on my toshiba. With a 4" screen I don't think I'd complain about the soft keys.

Good rant :D

I'm a two device person myself, for pretty much the same reasons - I can't get a single device that fully meets my needs. I haven't gone through quite the effort you have though - the only thing I sync on my phone is contacts, everyhting else is on my PDA.

What type of phone are you using? WM Smartphone? I've been wondering if I was the only one juggling multiple WM devices. I like to have contacts and calendar on my smartphone as well, because then I could walk away from my PDA at my desk and still have upto date information in the short term.

The toshiba isn't the only device that has trouble with bluetooth/calligrapher - we've (at firstloox.org) had the same problem with the Loox720. It gets worse for people with WA2 - because it uses large dlls as well.

Hmmm.... I use Calligrapher and WA2 so I guess thats double the trouble.

Nurhisham Hussein
11-14-2005, 02:55 AM
No smartphone, I'm using an SE T610. Since I carry my PDA around with me all the time (I've forgotten my phone before, but never my PDA), duplicating my calender has never been a priority.

ChristopherTD
11-14-2005, 01:40 PM
I replaced my iPaq 5550 and Motorola V500 with an iMate Jam about 6 months ago. It pretty much does everything that I need, and is wonderfully pocketable.

So what would I change?

I never had a VGA PPC, but I would very much like one, as I believe it would make reading eBooks and web browsing a bit better. I also miss the WiFi.

If Phone, Bluetooth, WiFi and VGA could be available in a slim PPC (like the new Acer) then I would swap in an instant. I can't ever see going back to separate PPC and Phone though. It was all too much hassle getting a GPRS connection (which died the instant the PPC went into low power mode), and of course it was an extra device to carry.

The imate Jasjar is much too large for me.

So I stick with iMate Jam for the moment, and keep an eye out for a small VGA PPC Phone...

gavinfabl
11-14-2005, 01:47 PM
I went from a Palm Tungsten T3 with a Sony Ericsson T610, to HP4700 and the SE610.

The 4700 had a wonderful screen, but ultimately size of all kit needed frustrated me.

Moved to one device XDA IIs. This was simply the best device. Loads of memory, and simply rocked. No extra keyboards etc..

But missed VGA.

So now I have XDA Exec. It took a few weeks to test tolerances and work around a few things, but now its runs like clockwork.

And I havent stopped smiling.

welmoed
11-14-2005, 01:53 PM
I confess, I've never been a big fan of multi-purpose devices. I have my old HP 2215, and my old LG 4400 that's so ancient it doesn't even have a camera! :lol: My reasoning has always been: if I depend on a multi-function device, and it breaks, I lose ALL the functions. If I have single-purpose devices (or just dual-purpose, like a printer/copier), then if it breaks, I don't lose all the functions (i.e. my fax machine will still work if the printer sitting next to it doesn't, whereas if I had a combo printer/fax/copier, I'd be hosed).

I may be old fashioned, but I still use my cell phone only for phone calls... no SMS, no games, no web surfing. I use my PDA for appointments and killing time waiting in lines (curse you, Sudoku!) and for my GPS. I've had my phone drop and break; I'd hate to have that happen to a multi-function device because then I'd REALLY be in trouble.

--Welmoed

SteveHoward999
11-14-2005, 01:55 PM
I have never found it necessary to synch both my phone and my PDA with calendar and contact info - I only sync contact info to the phone. really do not need both my phone and my PDA reminding me that I forgot something ;-)

If I was buying today and money was no issue, I'd get an HTC Universal. Couple that with a small, not overly-smart phone for the days when I cannot or will not carry the PDA and I would be happy.

gavinfabl
11-14-2005, 01:56 PM
Agree that previously it was defintely better to have 2 devices.

Lost or broken, you still have one option. 2 batteries is better than 1.

But now with WM5 battery advantages and no loss of data, for me, its a different story.

Kind regards.

Gavin

Phillip Dyson
11-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Wow front page! Thanks Darius.

I'm really agonizing about this decision. I'm also wondering if there are others who share the same dilemna or not.

The Universal + Smartphone seems like a possible solution, but I'm just not sure I can justify the cost. Especially since one of the big selling points (UMTS) isn't very widespread in the states. Plus as a phone, its really big.

mpaque
11-14-2005, 03:06 PM
I now know that I'm not alone. I currently carry a Dell X50v and an imate SP3i. Both are snychronized with my work laptop. I'm going to take a look at the Windows Treo when it sees the light of day.

gavinfabl
11-14-2005, 03:29 PM

I'm really agonizing about this decision. I'm also wondering if there are others who share the same dilemna or not.

The Universal + Smartphone seems like a possible solution, but I'm just not sure I can justify the cost. Especially since one of the big selling points (UMTS) isn't very widespread in the states. Plus as a phone, its really big.

If you buy through a carrier its dirt cheap.

I'm with O2, and the Exec cost me £149 on a £15 per month voice contract.

And O2 cannot meet demand, the Exec's are moving at a huge rate. At first launch , O2 sold 10,000 pieces in 33 minutes.

And it no big deal taking a call on the device. If anything, Joe Blogs is damm curious.

Jon Westfall
11-14-2005, 03:46 PM
I've been battling the two-device battle for awhile now. Here is a recap of what devices I've had:

T-Mobile Pocket PC (XDA) -> i-Mate Pocket PC -> iPAQ 5555 + i-mate Smartphone 2 -> hp 6315 -> Dell Axim x50v + Motorola mpx 220 -> Jasjar. So what do I do? I switch... liberally... ;) Specific applications require the converged device (Most daily stuff at the office), while for travel or weekends, the two devices can be nice as I can shed the Axim for less weight. It's kinda a pain to keep the 3 devices up to date, so I store most of my info for the PDAs on a SD card that I can pop out of one onto the other.

Until they make a converged device that can be seperated into 2 little devices, I don't know how to solve this. I suppose I'll just adapt!

JLittle1
11-14-2005, 03:47 PM
I am there with you; dealing with the same desire to converge to one device becomes a question of what do I get for what am I willing to give up? The three must haves for next PPC are:
Phone/Data Communications
Tom Tom Support
Windows Mobile 2005

Nice to haves in order of priority:

Full Keyboard (HTC Wizard is looking good)
VGA Display vs. QVGA (HTC Universal but seems bulky)
Wheel Navigation vs. Rocker/Slider Switch (Don't see this much?)

Jim

denethor
11-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Get a reliable, small fast VGA PDA (like Loox 720) and keep your phone seperated. I have 2 major cause for this:
- You can't bring your PDA to anywhere. They are very fragile. For example it s not recommended to bring your PDA in to the beach 8)
- You can upgrade your phone more easly. Since you are using your phone as modem, You can easly upgrade from CSD to GRPS, GPRS to EDGE, EDGE to UMTS or WCDMA or EV-DO etc...

If you still want to get converged 8O go get O2 XDA Atom or M600.

gavinfabl
11-14-2005, 04:51 PM
I was in Spain this summer.

I had my XDA IIs on the beach, by the swimming pool and swam in the sea with it using an Aquapac case.

My Exec was taken with me last weekend on my brothers Stag Weekend (wild party night/weekend prior to marriage) , danced madly , drank barrels and okay the Exec was a little big, but for some bizarre reason the girls loved it :D . I used nutshell pouch, with Exec on waist and a strong belt .

Darius Wey
11-14-2005, 05:05 PM

You're welcome. It was a good post.

As for my advice, I'll let you know towards the end of the week. I'm waiting for an M600 to arrive on my doorstep, so once I have a playaround, I'll give you my two cents on Windows Mobile 5.0 convergence vs. standalone PDA + Smartphone.

rzanology
11-14-2005, 05:09 PM
well my friend. I feel your pain. I too went through the same thing. I have both the smt 5600 and a dell axim 50v with wm5 on it. Let me start off by saying i looooove that lil smt. I think that has been my best phone since the t68i (curse you mpx220!!!.) I also love my 50v...its hell a fast and makes for a veeery good media device. Out of all the pocket pcs i've owned (6 and counting) i love this one the best. Its also very good for my gps needs. BUT!!! the main problem i had with the two was the fact that the smartphone and pocket pc do not play nice togeather when it comes to sharing the gprs connect. That bothered me! I found myself using my smt for e-mail and im alot...but the keys really weren't tha great for that kind of stuff. And on the axim...if i couldn't find a wifi connection i was dead in the water....not to mention i hate typing with the onscreen keyboard.

well....the hp6515 caught my eye. I read the reviews loong and hard. And i finally called up and place my order. This is my 3rd day with it...and let me tell you....im not looking back. The biggest shock to me was...its not a phone..its a pocket pc first. So there was no assigning ringtones or pics to contacts. So i had to hit the forums...i soon found out there are programs out there that does this....so i bought what i had to buy and got the problem out the way really quick. I took me a few hours to get use to the way i had to look up contacts and dial numbers....but that too took its place.

After getting use to the phone...it was time to grab everything and hit the road...then it all fell in place...hmmmm. I didnt need to grab my axim because i already loaded my music on the phone...and i didnt need my blakcberry because i loaded the goodlink app. And now i can check aaaall my e-mail from one device effortlessly...i can hit the web...and i can do all my IMing.

BUT!!! lol....i had to get use to the size of the thing....even though its small for a pocket pc...its still a bit big for a phone...but i soon got past that. the next problem was the battery. Because i couldn't stop touching this thing, i noticed the batter was t 45% in no time. I guess thats bad...but doesnt really bother me...im going to look around for a car charger and call it a day.

The second awe was when i went to turn on my gps...and realized i had left my axim home. So i was on my way to setting up my bluetooth receiver with the phone...when it hit me..."wait a minute...this thing has gps." So i gave it a try. And to my surprise...it worked flawlessly!

I am happy with this phone. i have no regreats jumping ****. On the phone side i had to switch from att to cingular. I went from paying 20 to 40 a month for unlimited edge\gprs...which doesnt bother me that much because edge is better. i always lost about 100 minutes going with the 900 plan...but i got roll over. and i had to pay for my 7:00 nights...which was free before. But all is well.

I think i'll still be using my 50v for media on the train and in the car mainly because i wont stress the batter on my phone. But good bye blackberry!

the hw6515 is a solid choise....give it a look see.

bnycastro
11-14-2005, 05:13 PM
I converged approx 11 months ago [imate JAM] and I don't think I'll be going back to a two device setup. Personally it's just more convenient to carry just one device. I plan on getting a Wizard still waiting on dopod to reply to my emails about availability of the 838 here in the Philippines. If I can't wait anymore I might get either an i-mate k-jam or Qtek 9100 from expansys...
:D

I'm sure you've thought about the trade offs but to me this is a fair exchange for the convenience of convergence I've even accepted moving to a diff memory format miniSD.

schwuk
11-14-2005, 05:24 PM
I've gone from a PDA + phone setup to an O2 XDA Exec (HTC Universal), and there's no way I would go back now. Yes it's on the large side, but for all the functionality you get it's more than worth it.

alcdroid
11-14-2005, 05:36 PM
I had the very same problem and only recently gone with convergence. It just became way too burdensome to manage two devices and I ended up leaving the PDA behind. I do some writing and use WiFi a lot so this became a problem. GPRS on a smartphone is also costly and kind of difficult to view.

My XDA IIs isn't exactly the best PDA around nor it is small enough to pass as a real phone, it does everything I needed it to do and I got it for a very good price. I was going to wait for the HTC Universal, but at it's initial price, it will take me a long time to save up and justify the expense.

Cheers and good luck!

1BADRIDE
11-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Wow... fantastic rant! :D

You can add me to the list of people that have similar issues. I've tried a number of devices, and even alternate platforms (Symbian primarily) on Sony-Ericsson devices - namely the P800/P900.

In short - there is no such device that will give me what I want:

CF & SD Card Slots
Wifi/BT Built In
Minimum 128/128 MB RAM/ROM
WM2003SE/WM5 (The latter is still apparently buggy/has issues)
Enough battery life to last 1 full business day, PLUS an extra 2 hours for the longer days
VGA Screen w/landscape-portrait rotation
User replaceable battery
Phone Capabilities w/DATA (GSM/GPRS)
USB Host (Powered) capability
Small Form Factor (Similar to ASUS A730W)

I ended up choosing the A730W and a BT Phone (SE Z600). Since I carry my PDA in a case that happens to hold my credit cards/money/wallet (basically carry it everywhere), and I always take my phone with me, my connectivity issues are solved. Battery life has ALWAYS been a problem however, and as such my only resolution to this dilemma was to modify my ASUS A730W (15 Hours!!! :) :)). BT pairing has not been an issue and everything works great. I still wish I could carry only one device.

I am looking to replace my A730W with the i-mate JASJAR but I don't think the JASJAR has a CF slot... my poor 4GB CF card will be so lonely. :(

Why can't we have a device that does everything that is paper-thin, the size of a postage stamp, with terrabytes of storage, and can be powered by bio-electric charges on one's skin? :mrgreen:

ddwire
11-14-2005, 05:49 PM
I went to one device two + years ago with the Hitachi G1000 from Sprint, and from that one to the PPC6601 a year ago. I am still using the 6601 with the slid out key board. I have to say that I will not go back to two devices. My 6601 stopped taking incoming calls, (I know the multifunction thing) and I am waiting fro sprint to send me the war. replacement. So for the past few days I have been using a loaner SAnyo 8100 for Voice and my 6601 for the pda part and I hate the two un connected devices. No bluetooth in the sanyo so no data on the 6601 is the biggest pain, but I really hate lugging both around.
Dan

PS Sprint has the 6700 with the WM5 and landscape keyboard that I could have gotten as replacement but the screen is a tiny 2.8. Totally unacceptable. That is one place I will not give int to. I Wanta big screen for my aging eyes.

DaleReeck
11-14-2005, 05:54 PM

I have the Universal (JasJar) and love it. Unfortunately, the UMTS on the JasJar supports a different frequency than the one supported in the US, so the UMTS won't work at all over here. There are two frequencies, 1800 and 2100. I forget which are which, but one is supported in the US and one is supported in Europe and the JasJar only supports the European one. And since there is inexplicably no EDGE support either on the JasJar, you are stuck with slow GPRS. So, as a phone, it isn't the best choice (reception is average at best too and it's only tri-band, not quad), but as a PDA, it's features are hard to top. VGA, WM5, WiFi, Bluetooth, comfortably large keyboard, two cameras, dual stereo speakers and a phone. Not bad :) But still, expensive as hell.

But I see the JasJar more as a small laptop than a phone. So any phone features it has are a bonus IMO. Also, I think that other people think the Universal is larger than it really is. I don't find it too large at all. It's definitely smaller than carrying two separate devices.

Len Egan
11-14-2005, 08:42 PM
Sojourner, I have one thing to say EVDO!

I was like you, using a nice VGA device (Dell Axim X50v) and a Motorola V710 and was perfectly happy...until I met EVDO. Blazing around Verizon Wireless' network is like going from Dial-up to broadband. I don't care about WiFi or WiMax or Wi-anything. Once you go EVDO, you'll never go back.

A secondary bonus was only carrying one device versus two

mcrobin
11-14-2005, 08:42 PM
Here is the way I look at it.

A phone and a PDA have conflicting goals in life - One is trying to get smaller and smaller and the other is trying to get bigger and bigger. I like the idea of having two devices especially the phone for some of the reasons listed in the forum. I only sync my PDA and the phone to me is nothing more than a phone or access point to the internet via Bluetooth. I will admit that I have had some issues with Bluetooth working, but it was more the phone's fault than the PDA. I can also see the joy of a single device and I am glad that we have the option. Usually, when people ask me why I carry two devices I give them my standard respons (above). One thing I kind of point out to singlyies is that I ask - how much it would cost for them to switch carriers - and then it hits them.

Just my thoughts on the topic.

squeeze
11-14-2005, 08:49 PM
Unfortunately, the only way to do this is to change your user requirements. Sucks, but you'll drive youself nuts to do what you want it to do.

I have an i730 VZW, works great - but no cam phone and not a "real phone". But I manage and deal with it.

Good luck on your journey.

LarDude
11-14-2005, 09:25 PM
Good, timely rant. I am going thru the same internal conflict (e830 + bluetooth phone).

I am starting to come to a different conclusion, however, about "heavy lifting" on the PDA and pocketability on the phone devices. I am now leaning towards "medium lifting" on a WM5 convergence device that must be very pocketable (HTC Wizard type device) and leaving the "heavy lifting" to an ultraportable laptop which would not have to go "everywhere" with me. Truth be told, the "heavy lifting" capability of my e830 still leaves something to be desired (e.g. even with VGA, Terminal Services Client on the e830 is still too painful to use with any regularity; there is still not really enough screen real estate for anything but the simplest spreadsheets; pdf files with graphics are cumbersome).

phoenixfire1965
11-14-2005, 10:16 PM
I just wanted to post my feelings for you. I moved to converged device with the iMate Jam. It was nice size and very pocketable but I found it to be very flaky for me. So I moved on to the Eten M500. Good device but it seems to excel at mediocrity. It does lots of things and does them all ok but none exceptional. Little thicker than I like, I also found that having my phone and pda in one has some disadvantages. I use my PDA for GPS while traveling, try to answer your phone, do the GPS and look up a phone number. Poor little guy choked to death and puked.

For these and several other PDA speed issues I have moved back to two. I have a great Sony Ericsson phone and have just orded the iPaq 2795.

Think for now this is the way to go for me. Hope it helps a little.

0X

shinysteve
11-14-2005, 11:11 PM
what a superb thread. Good to hear eveyones views.

The best solution so far has to be the dockable two-part suggestion.
A small phone which docked into a mother screen/keyboard would be best. But it doesn´t exist so...

I´ve been refining my own requirements for a converged device and came to a problem when i saw that i wanted a 3.5" vga screen (for video and tom tom mainly) AND wanted it to be small enough for a belt holder and nights out.

It aint going to happen due to physical requirements so i´m going for the following.

1 - 600mhz 3.5" Vga WM5 ppc with SD and maybe an integrated keyboard or thumboard. (i´m not aware that this device exists yet), bt, wifi.

2 - smartphone Nokia n70. Edge, 2mp cam, good sync (i´ll use outlook if i have to!) and mini-sd for mp3´s, bt, good software.

I´ll take both to work / travelling and leave the pppc at home when out on socials.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Steve

euphoria
11-14-2005, 11:18 PM
...So I stick with iMate Jam for the moment, and keep an eye out for a small VGA PPC Phone...
Thumbs up for ChristopherTD! I stick with the Jam for the moment, too, and wait until a slim(mer!) VGA PPC phone with WiFi comes out ;)

MitchellO
11-15-2005, 01:18 AM
You seriously sound like a perfect candidate for a HTC Universal. It has the VGA, coupled with a fast processor, a phone and a keyboard to boot!

MitchellO
11-15-2005, 01:23 AM
The K-JAM would be sooooo perfect with a VGA screen. May cost more, but do like Dell did with the Axim: Q-JAM (QVGA) and V-JAM (VGA) :D

arb
11-15-2005, 02:36 AM
Convergence of devices was a great 90's idea and early 00's idea, but in all honesty, it was a big mistake......

Microsoft lacks the vision to make a unified mobile OS that can be used across the board. The underlying Windows Mobile CE platform is standardized but implementation is not. SmartPhone OS, PDA OS, Windows Media Player OS... too many OSes......

Palm's OS was nice but not complete. At least Palm didn't make three different OSes for each segment...

I hate to say it, but I like having two devices......

shinysteve
11-15-2005, 10:28 AM
You seriously sound like a perfect candidate for a HTC Universal. It has the VGA, coupled with a fast processor, a phone and a keyboard to boot!

Indeed. Thats what I thought too. Its close to being the perfect device. (apart from 1.3Mp camera)
Problem is: Too damn big and expensive to be a 24/7 all-situation device. I remember trying to lug my psion 5 around London in the evening and it was annoying to say the least.

N70 will be my mobile gateway and travelling device.

I just need to find a PPC with a 3.5" or 4" vga screen and a keyboard now as 'docking station' - Sounds again like the Universal eh!!

Steve.

ChristopherTD
11-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Convergence of devices was a great 90's idea and early 00's idea, but in all honesty, it was a big mistake......

I don't think that a Phone and PPC make a bad marriage. There is considerable overlap in functionality, and the union works mostly pretty well for me. However my PDA use is limited to normal PIM tasks, and extensive ebook reading, and my phone use is extremely modest. If I pushed either function to the limit I would certainly use separate devices.

For this reason I also carry my iPod for music, and a GBA Micro or DS for games.

jlp
11-17-2005, 02:14 AM
... I could walk away from my PDA at my desk ...

Perish the thought :shocked!:

jlp
11-17-2005, 02:29 AM
If you use your mobile devices lightly to average I can see going towards a converged device.

If most of what you do is PIM and many phone calls, an all-in-one is fine.

But power users need more, want more!!

There are no converged device with all these:
a CF slot
a standard SD slot
USB host
large screen
VGA
side scroll
Wifi
BT
NO WiMp5 :twisted:
LOTS of RAM (like 128MB)
a fax program

And as stated if one functionality dies you're out of luck with converged devices.

I tried one such device before, but for all those, wow, TWELVE reasons above (AND probably MORE I don't think of right now), I'll stay with 2 seperate devices for the extended foreseeable future.

Phillip Dyson
11-17-2005, 05:20 AM
... I could walk away from my PDA at my desk ...

Perish the thought :shocked!:

Okay, maybe thats border line neglect.:oops: But what I meant to say was ... uh... er... you know...
The ability to grab either device and go. And have my information with me. If I'm going to a meeting I can grab my PDA. If I'm going to lunch, then stash my PDA and carry my smartphone only.

If you use your mobile devices lightly to average I can see going towards a converged device.

If most of what you do is PIM and many phone calls, an all-in-one is fine.

But power users need more, want more!!

There are no converged device with all these:
a CF slot
a standard SD slot
USB host
large screen
VGA
side scroll
Wifi
BT
NO WiMp5 :twisted:
LOTS of RAM (like 128MB)
a fax program

I've been using my PDA and Smartphone for the past week and I have to say that I like it. My PDA is definitely a work horse. Checking emails. Editing my budget spreadsheets. Reading PDF files from potential mortgage lenders. Listening to music while at my desk. GPS while on the road. I also use my PDA as a tablet since I installed the PhatPad trial.

Not to mention everything you've listed. Except I dont have a fax program. I suppose its good that I have a choice. I could leave both devices behind if I wanted to and carry my E-Ten in other situations.

I'm still not any closer to deciding what my new device will be. Though it doesn't look like there are too man stand-alone PDAs coming to the market. Perhaps the innovation is not longer on this particular flavor of Windows Mobile.

ctmagnus
11-17-2005, 07:07 AM
I'm still not any closer to deciding what my new device will be.

Nor am I. I still absolutely love my iPaq 5550, and I have yet to find a device that can replace it and my SMT5600. The Axim X51V is a close replacement for the iPaq, but the lack of dedicated soft keys is disturbing.

beq
11-17-2005, 08:07 AM
I've tried the convergence thing, currently with a couple of i-mate PDA2k's and a JAM. But I'm sad to say that going forward I may go back to a dual-device setup: Motorola Razr V3i (aka Razr 2) cellphone and Acer n311 VGA PPC.

Actually I didn't take the Bluetooth earset (BlueSpoon) into account, which would make the PPC Phone + BT headset a dual device setup (and the separate phone + PPC + BT headset a triple device setup). Oh and I also forgot about the Bluetooth GPS receiver... ! 8O

dMores
11-17-2005, 02:17 PM
without having read through the entire thread (been swamped by work lately, and i'm not yet in full-forum-read-mode), i would suggest you wait for a device that has wifi, umts, gprs as well as gsm.
which would be the xda atom (i think, not sure about umts), but definately the mda pro and the upcoming sonyericsson p990i.