View Full Version : Bought an e830...need advice please

fab
11-13-2005, 07:03 PM
Hello...I'm a ppc newbie. I just bought an e830 demo unit for pretty cheap but I have some concerns/questions.

I have to say the screen is amazing, esp after having used a Visor Edge for years. The wifi works fine but I don't have any BT devices yet (I'm planning to get a BT cellphone). It seems fast and the screen is...wow.

I know Toshiba has pulled out of the handheld market so I am a little concerned about support. I've read through the archives and i know some people have had huge problems with Toshiba. Are there any e830 users that are happy with their purchase?

Am I crazy for buying an obsolete, used (albeit cheap) ppc?
I think I need some help before I finalise this puchase. TIA

SteveHoward999
11-13-2005, 10:50 PM
I have an E830 which I had to buy on eBay from Canada, since Toshiba would not sell it here in the USA. It works great. Any problems I have are self-inflicted and have nothing to do with machine issues.

My biggest complaint is that the bluetooth drivers do not support external keyboards. Probably my only complaint, in fact ...

I prefer to use the full resolution of the screen all the time, so I installed SE_VGA so I can set the screen to true VGA. Makes a BIG difference. Only one or two apps do not at least partially support VGA, for instance Skype is kind of unhappy with it. It is just a matter of a quick reboot to change resolution if required.

If you are worried about support ... well maybe it's not the device for you as you will probably get none from Toshiba. You can usually find experts who can help though.

Nurhisham Hussein
11-14-2005, 02:24 AM
Sorry OT, but...

My biggest complaint is that the bluetooth drivers do not support external keyboards. Probably my only complaint, in fact ...

I believe the Freedom bluetooth keyboard uses a proprietary driver, and not the bluetooth HID driver. It therefore might work for you - I can't guarantee it though. Sorry can't post a link (%#@%^ office firewall) but you can google for it. Also goes by the brandname SMART.

Alternatively you could use the USB-host function on the e830, and use a mini USB keyboard. They may be about double the size of a folding keyboard, but are easier to type on and typically cost way, way less.

Edit:

@fab

FWIW, that's a great PDA, excellent purchase! While I've heard some horror stories about some Toshibas, the 800 series seems to be ok. The only reason why I didn't get one was the size - I bought a Loox 720 instead. Otherwise, it's feature set is almost second to none.

SteveHoward999
11-14-2005, 03:13 AM
I believe the Freedom bluetooth keyboard uses a proprietary driver, and not the bluetooth HID driver. It therefore might work for you - I can't guarantee it though.

I looked at that a few times. No Toshiba PDAs are listed as compatible.

Alternatively you could use the USB-host function on the e830, and use a mini USB keyboard.

For that you need to buy the expansion pack. I have used USB keyboard before with Toshiba E750, but a dedicated PDA keyboard is better as it gives you soemwhere to prop the PDA on as you type.

fab
11-14-2005, 09:34 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think I'm going to hang on to it. I purchased it on a credit card that doubles my warranty so I've at least got that coverage.

Does anyone have any idea if minimo works on the e830? I really hate IE.

Thanks.

Ripper014
10-29-2006, 09:05 PM
Alternatively you could use the USB-host function on the e830, and use a mini USB keyboard.

For that you need to buy the expansion pack. I have used USB keyboard before with Toshiba E750, but a dedicated PDA keyboard is better as it gives you soemwhere to prop the PDA on as you type.[/quote]

Its been a longtime since I have been around... and I was trolling through the old postings and just wanted to correct something. You only need the USB host cable for the e830, its a simple cable that connects to the bottom of the unit. It works great with certain joysticks too... assuming you have the driver for it.

Also... there is a nice portable USB keyboard made by IGo/ThinkOutside that folds up like your standard foldable keyboard. Here is a link...

http://www.thinkoutside.com/products/stwusb/stwusb_product.html

Nurhisham Hussein
10-30-2006, 02:54 PM
Also... there is a nice portable USB keyboard made by IGo/ThinkOutside that folds up like your standard foldable keyboard. Here is a link...

http://www.thinkoutside.com/products/stwusb/stwusb_product.html

I got something similar that I got free with my Sony U handtop - for the price ThinkOutside is charging for this, I'd rather get a BT keyboard TBH.

Ripper014
11-01-2006, 07:30 PM
I would love to get a BT keyboard and be done with the continual purchasing of PocketPC hardware... but as far as I know... there are no BT keyboards available for the e830 due to its proprietory stack that does not include a HID profile.

Which means I am SOL...

Ripper014
11-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Came up with an idea... and purposed it on another site. It seems that you might be able to use a dedicated BT card... such as a Socket CF BT card (which uses the Widcomm Stack) in conjunction with a BT keyboard (such as the IGO Stowaway).

Not the optimal solution... giving up a card slot... but I am told that it works for the e800 so it should also work with the e830.