View Full Version : Unable to Sync with Outlook 2002 and Active Sync 4.0

kirankaja
11-12-2005, 01:27 PM
Hi All,

Using a Dell Axim X50V. Just upgraded to WM 5.0. But even when I was running 2003 SE, I downloaded and installed Active Sync 4.0. I also had this problem then. But since I now have 5.0, I am only going to mention the error message I get when I try to establish the partnership and sync the data. Active Sync version is 4.0.0 build 4343.

When I create a partnership, I get the following error message:

You will be able to synchronize only files, folders, and other non-Outlook items if you continue.
To synchronize E-mail, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks and Notes with this computer, do the following:
Disconnect the device, install and run Outlook, and then reconnect the device and complete the Synchronization
Setup Wizard.

Well, I have Outlook 2002 and there are plenty of appointments and tasks in it.

I go ahead and establish the partnership anyway. Now, when I try to Syncsome data and as soon as I connect the device, I get an error that Outlook is not your default email client. Its true that Outlook is not my default client. I use Outlook for Calendar and all other stuff except e-mail. I have been using Outlook Express for ages and I don't want to change it because this stupid Active Sync 4.0 wants me to. I don't sync email anyway. But to get it clarified, I made Outlook the default email client. The message stopped but still the calendar, tasks and notes are not synchronized. I even tried a reinstall of Office 2002 but it didn't work.

Any help to solve this is greatly appreciated. PDA has become literally useless now.

Thanks,
KK.

Crazy Croc
11-12-2005, 05:20 PM
I just got my X51v this afternoon and have been facing the same problem as you.

Finally i have managed to create the partnership and sync successfully by repair my outlook xp on my PC.

alexong
11-12-2005, 05:34 PM
I just got my X51v this afternoon and have been facing the same problem as you.

Finally i have managed to create the partnership and sync successfully by repair my outlook xp on my PC.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/help/activesync/default.mspx

SteveHoward999
11-13-2005, 04:22 PM
I have the same problem - the resolution is to do what it says - Make Outloook your default email program. But then of course you cannot send email using Outlook Express, which is my normal default email software.

I have not found a more robust solution other than to keep swapping over the default email software to Outlook when I want to synch calendar and contacts info. It's a pain, but since I don't use these features a great deal (I have about 40 contacts I maintain, and maybe 5 calendar entries ordinarily) it's not a huge issue for me to do the sync once a week instead of every time I dock.

By the way, that link to help from Microsoft is all about firewalls preventing sync, and has nothing to do with our issue so far as I can tell - not unless Micorsoft ActiveSync is not compatible with their own firewall ;-)

PetiteFlower
11-14-2005, 04:08 AM
I have not had an issue with setting Outlook to be my default email program but still actually USING OE for all my reading and sending etc. Why wouldn't you be able to send email using OE?

kirankaja
11-14-2005, 10:09 AM
Well, there are no major issues for making outlook the default e-mail client. If I click a "send mail link" on a webpage, Outlook will open with a new blank message instead of Outlook Express. This is the only downside I can see for now. And I think it is OK.

BTW, the suggestion of repairing Outlook did work indeed. I am now able to sync everything except AvantGo channels.

On WM 2003 SE, I was able to sync the AvantGo channels just by checking that check box in the options and entering my username and password. But in WM 5, the check box for AvantGo is grayed out in Active Sync. I want to use the AvantGo integrated client rather than their standard client.

PetiteFlower
11-14-2005, 07:44 PM
I have heard that the current version of the Avantgo client is not WM5 compatible yet. Are you using the downloadable stand-alone client or the one that's integrated with PIE? The PIE-integrated one isn't likely to be supported into the future, even though the stand alone client really sucks and takes up way too much memory, because THEY seem to want people to use the stand alone one.

kirankaja
11-14-2005, 07:58 PM
Its bad news for me if they are not going to support the PIE integrated client. The speech software I use to read out for me on the Pocket PC doesn't yet work with the stand alone client.

Regards,
KK.

kallen
12-14-2005, 11:51 PM
I will be revealing a great lack of understanding by asking but will a PPC running WM 5 like the X51 synch with a computer which is using Windows 98 SE?

I know it's pretty ignorant to have to ask but I'm old so try not to overdue the stinging critcism about my lame question. Obtaining and installing a new OS like XP is more of a task than I am up to without serious help.

Thanks.

PetiteFlower
12-15-2005, 05:09 AM
Installing a new OS isn't all that different from installing any other kind of software, it just takes longer :)

I don't know for sure how well a computer running Win 98 would deal with Activesync 4.0 and Outlook 2002, but I suspect they work fine. You can check system requirements with a google search pretty easily though.

kallen
12-20-2005, 12:52 AM
Well, Petiteflower and anyone else with a useful answer: I checked Microsoft's download site and Active Sync 4.0 is not compatible with Windows 98SE. Outlook 2002 should work but I don't have it or Microsoft Office intalled on my notebook pc.

So here's a question: What fun and interesting activities are there left to do with a pocket pc like the Axim X51V without the capability of syncing or downloading programs? Need the Idiots Guide To Fun Things To Do With Your Axim X51V (when syncing and installing new programs is not an option).

Nurhisham Hussein
12-20-2005, 02:00 AM
Outlook 2002 definitely works with Win98SE - I've used it before. If you don't mind the work, you can also still install programs using AS3.8 (check out Menneisyys' post about midway down this thread:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=38306&highlight=

Like I said, a lot of work, but still possible.