View Full Version : MSN Mobile messenger works only with hotmail account?

Jorg-XDA
11-11-2005, 04:52 PM
Hi,

I just installed MSN Mobile software on my new HTC Universal (Windows Mobile 5), and was about to register the software at the MSN site to start using the Messenger, however, it keeps telling me that the e-mail address is not supported.

I use my regular (non-hotmail) e-mail address as my Passport account for MSN Messenger.

It can't be true that not only you have to pay in order to use MSN Messenger on a WM5 device, but that it also only supports hotmail-addresses?

Was anyone able to use the MSN Mobile software with a standard, non-hotmail, e-mail address?

Thanks.

Darius Wey
11-11-2005, 06:52 PM
You can use a non-Hotmail-based Passport account for Pocket MSN. While you might not get the deep Hotmail/Outlook Mobile integration, you should still be able to use the mobile MSN Messenger client.

Check your password and/or connection settings if you're unable to sign in.

Darius Wey
11-11-2005, 07:35 PM
Wait a minute, I've just realised what you've done. Your HTC Universal is a Windows Mobile 5.0 device and should include Pocket MSN by default.

If it doesn't and you wish to use it, then yes, you can download it and install it separately (as you have done), but in this instance, you have to pay a one-time fee of $19.95 for it to work with your Passport. That is why it probably isn't being recognised. But again, you should already have it pre-installed on your device, making this step meaningless.

Sven Johannsen
11-11-2005, 07:45 PM
You shouldn't have to pay for MSN Messenger (the green Snowman) on the PPC. You do have to pay for Pocket MSN (the Butterfly...if you want it), which is an option that provids HTTP support in Inbox (Hotmail) and has a Today screen plugin that integrates with Messenger, Hotmail, and some other MSN offerrings.

The Universal comes with Pocket MSN installed, I think all WM5 devices do. You don't need to use it for Messenger, which is also installed and you can reclain some Today space by just turning it off. You should be able to use messenger by just going to programs and launcing it and filling in your usual name and password.

P.S. if you are working with Pocket MSN, I expect it is looking for an @hotmail or @msn so it can set up the Inbox feature, not for Messenger.

Darius Wey
11-12-2005, 03:15 AM
You should be able to use messenger by just going to programs and launcing it and filling in your usual name and password.

Unfortunately, with Windows Mobile 5.0, they got rid of the Messenger icon in Programs, but Ed's article (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,44203) offers a quick solution to getting it back.

And Jorg-XDA, just to clarify, you can sign into Pocket MSN without a @hotmail.com or @msn.com email address, but as you'd expect, most of Pocket MSN's extra features cannot be used, so you may as well just sign into Messenger.

Sven Johannsen
11-12-2005, 04:14 AM
Unfortunately, with Windows Mobile 5.0, they got rid of the Messenger icon in Programs, but Ed's article (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,44203) offers a quick solution to getting it back.

Well I'll be darned. I hadn't noticed that since I am a Pocket MSN subscriber. I didn't like the big Today bar for it, so just added the exe to iLauncher for IM and MSN. Never noticed it wasn't there in Start or Programs. What silliness.

I had just glanced at Eds post. Now it makes sense why he did it.

Jorg-XDA
11-12-2005, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys for your comments, however I think you misunderstood me.

Pocket MSN nor MSN Messenger are part of the ROM of my MDA Pro. I think T-Mobile left them out in order to generate more revenue trough SMS-chat or something.

I can install Pocket MSN on my device, however, it needs to be activated for a particular account on the MSN website.

This is where the problem comes in: When I am logged in to MSN/Passport with my normal account, and try to active, it says that the operation cannot be completed with the given e-mail address. That's why I thought it specifically requires a Hotmail-address.

Does anyone have any experience with activating Pocket MSN with a non-Hotmail address.

Or..:
Is the MSN Messenger from WM2003 (just the messenger, not the entire MSN suite) available for download somewhere?

Darius Wey
11-12-2005, 01:29 PM
Thanks guys for your comments, however I think you misunderstood me.

Pocket MSN nor MSN Messenger are part of the ROM of my MDA Pro. I think T-Mobile left them out in order to generate more revenue trough SMS-chat or something.

I can install Pocket MSN on my device, however, it needs to be activated for a particular account on the MSN website.

This is where the problem comes in: When I am logged in to MSN/Passport with my normal account, and try to active, it says that the operation cannot be completed with the given e-mail address. That's why I thought it specifically requires a Hotmail-address.

Right. That's an interesting scenario. So you're having problems activating it with your particular Passport? The easiest route might be to contact Microsoft to see if they'll allow you to use that Passport with Pocket MSN.

For what it's worth, I've used a non-Hotmail and non-MSN based Passport with Pocket MSN before, and it has worked fine. Then again, I didn't need to activate it since I tested it with Windows Mobile 5.0.

Is the MSN Messenger from WM2003 (just the messenger, not the entire MSN suite) available for download somewhere?

Open File Explorer and navigate to \Windows. In there, look for a file called instmsgr.exe. That's your ticket to MSN Messenger. If you don't see it, enable the View All Files option in File Explorer (this can be found by tapping-and-holding on an empty space in File Explorer, and enabling the option). If even after that, you still can't find instmsgr.exe, let us know.

Jorg-XDA
11-12-2005, 05:06 PM
I tried running the instmsg app directly before, but it asks for the same registration steps as the main MSN Mobile app does (otherwise, this would be pretty lame programming on MS's side...)

I installed IM+ for now, but would like to use the "real thing" because of the tight integration in the OS, and the specific Windows Mobile 5 look (including support for the 2 hardware menu buttons).

On a sidenote: Is it true that with WM5, you can no longer browse the Windows folders (and hence the Start Menu folder) in the File Explorer on the PC?

Darius Wey
11-13-2005, 03:32 AM
On a sidenote: Is it true that with WM5, you can no longer browse the Windows folders (and hence the Start Menu folder) in the File Explorer on the PC?

No, that's false. You can still browse through all your folders, including Windows and its subfolders.

atrain
11-17-2005, 05:06 AM
another great app is agile messenger....

i had issues with MSN at one point (Axim X5, WM2003) and i switched an am i ever happy....

I can just walk 1/2 a block, get a nice signal, connect to msn, and AOL...

If the person im trying to contact is on msn, then i talk to them like that...
otherwise, i use aol to send them an SMS, they go and email me, or somehow contact me....

If you use more than 1 service, you might be interested in it... its the trillian of the pocketpc world...