View Full Version : Visual Studio Express Edition: Free Until November 2006

Jon Westfall
11-10-2005, 10:59 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/' target='_blank'>http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Microsoft is making the Express Editions of its development tools free until 6 November 2006. People interested in learning more about building Windows applications, dynamic websites and web services can download and use the new tools for free. The Express Editions are an expansion of the Visual Studio and SQL Server product line to include lightweight, easy-to-use, and easy-to-learn tools for hobbyists, students, and novice developers."</i><br /><br />While Visual Studio Express Edition isn't targeted toward Mobile Devices and probably won't support the .NET compact framework (CF), if you've been thinking about getting back into Windows programming, here is an easy way to jump back in for free. Never been a programmer but want to start on the path to fame &amp; glory (or Frustration &amp; underpayment ;) ) - download &amp; Enjoy!

PPCRules
11-10-2005, 11:28 PM
While Visual Studio Express Edition ... probably won't support the .NET compact framework (CF), ...
You seem to be speculating, and that is what my assumption is as well, but have we been told this outright, or otherwise know this to be the case?

I add my encouragement for anyone who has not ever developed a Windows app to give it a whirl, Visual Basic being the best starting point. It has never been cheaper to get started. And MS (and others) have various "getting started" type tutorials online.

petevick
11-10-2005, 11:51 PM
HI,
compact framework development is not supported on express versions - minimum is professional I think

Pete

Horus
11-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Actually, in VS2003, the minimum for device development was Pro, but in VS 2005, minimum is Standard.
In other words, anything other than the Express versions.

stevelam
11-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Actually, in VS2003, the minimum for device development was Pro, but in VS 2005, minimum is Standard.
In other words, anything other than the Express versions.

Any pricing info on any of the versions?

Darius Wey
11-11-2005, 03:53 PM
Here you go:

• Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition: $799 (upgrade: $549)
• Visual Studio 2005 Tools for the Microsoft Office System: $799 (upgrade: $549)
• Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition: $299 (upgrade: $199)
• Visual Studio 2005 Express editions will be $49 (currently free until November 6, 2006)

dragonhand
11-11-2005, 07:42 PM
Here's what Microsoft says about .NET framework and the Express version:

"Express Compatibility and Versioning

13. Can I develop applications using the Visual Studio Express Editions to target the .NET Framework 1.1?

No, each release of Visual Studio is tied to a specific version of the .NET Framework. The Express Editions can only be used to create applications that run on the .NET Framework 2.0."

Jerry Raia
11-12-2005, 04:43 AM
Really $299 to get back into Windows (and mobile) programming is not too bad. I have been thinking about it. I just wish I could buy the darn thing online and download it. I can't find it anywhere in stores yet!

Darius Wey
11-12-2005, 05:08 AM
Really $299 to get back into Windows (and mobile) programming is not too bad. I have been thinking about it. I just wish I could buy the darn thing online and download it. I can't find it anywhere in stores yet!

I think most stores don't have it on the shelves yet. At least where I am, stores are allowing customers to buy it, but they estimate a shipping period of around 2 business days.

Jerry Raia
11-12-2005, 05:13 AM
Yeah I kinda figured. In the year 2005, I should be able to just buy and download online! :devilboy:

Nurhisham Hussein
11-12-2005, 07:56 AM
Just asking for clarification:

Is it free until the end of November, or until 6 November, as in Jon's post? I downloaded the lot, but there wasn't any mention of payment.

Nurhisham Hussein
11-12-2005, 10:20 AM
Ooops, my bad :oops:

Just read the small print and it says November 6, 2006!

Anyway thanks for the news, I've got something to play around with for a while! :lol:

OSUKid7
11-12-2005, 07:07 PM
For the students out there, you can subscribe to theSpoke.net (http://www.thespoke.net/) for $25 and receive Visual Studio and other discounts. Currently you can download (or have shipped) Visual Studio .NET 2003 Academic, but they say VS 2005 (Standard edition, I believe) should be available soon:
Visual Studio is just the beginning. We’ll be adding more software titles and benefits into theSpoke Premium this year. Stay tuned for the upcoming Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server 2005 launch in November.

Although it is the academic version, this is a great deal for students. :)